When pixels on my screen can be used like an etch-a-sketch, whats wrong?

The Red

[H]ard|Gawd
I seem to have pixels that randomly turn a different color... like red on a black background, or light blue on a white background, and then if I move the window, folder, or program window that appear on my screen, those dots work like an etch-a-sketch creating exact trails behind them. If theres multiple dots, each works as an etch-a-sketch... I can mostly clean off a window from their marks by moving it outside of the screen boundary's and back...

I'm thinking this might be a power problem, as I get different colored letters during bootup in my bios... I just bought a more powerful PSU, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears!

OK;

1. Make sure your power source is grounded
2. Try a better cable one with the Ferrits on eather end
3. Make sure your display is not close to any sources of magnetic interferences, (large magnets in speakers or other RF devices).
4. Try a different video card and make sure all connections are tight

Hope one or more of these help.

Dave

Hi.

Can you try to clock back your video card to stock.
GFX: GeForce 7900 GT KO @ 1.5v volt-modded @ 605 gpu, 1610 ram
Maybe you video card doesn't like the new resolution with the OC setting.

You resolution goes from 1280x1024 / 1440 x 900 (19" LCD) to 1680x1050 (22")

this is more of a spontaneous problem, I have not changed resolutions or video cards or its clock setting for a long time... unless the card somehow degraded over time...

While playing actual games like Quake Wars, and Hellgate and such, there are no graphics issues.. only when on the desktop or running 2D programs... I also just tried removing the overclock, and it changed nothing whether it was running stock gpu/ram or OCd gpu/ram...

All I can think of is the cable, but out of all the dots, when I jiggle the cable, none of them go away or even move no matter what position I put the cable in...

However, while i have not had these etch-a-sketch dots forever, I have had long standing issues with multi-colored bios bootups...

I'll try the suggested things.

As I have added a few components that draw power... HDs both internal and external, I'm presuming this is a power issue possibly.. and my new PSU will be otw from the egg on monday..

My 7900GT had this. It lasted around 3 weeks once this problem started until failing to boot, and underclocking it didn't resolve the problem. I RMA'd it and a 512mb 7950GT came back and all has been well.

Back