When will 58xx hit B&M retail? (Specifically BB)

How long before HD58xx hit BB B&M?

• 1-2 weeks

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • 2-3 weeks

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 3-4 weeks

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 1month+

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters

sabregen

Fully [H]
So what's the vote? Anyone actually have metrics, or historical data on how long it takes for newly released cards to hit BB B&M?

Don't recall which forum I read this at but MicroCenters had 5870s in stock about a week or two before the launch.

Remember the general public and even the average techie public still does not know what a HD 5870 is much less that it already out and selling online.

I am guessing that B&M stores will bring them out on display whenever Windows 7 offiically launches marketing them as Windows 7 ready / DX 11 capable graphics cards.

Don't recall which forum I read this at but MicroCenters had 5870s in stock about a week or two before the launch.

Wish I had either that, or a Fry's

Remember the general public and even the average techie public still does not know what a HD 5870 is much less that it already out and selling online.

screw them :D

I am guessing that B&M stores will bring them out on display whenever Windows 7 offiically launches marketing them as Windows 7 ready / DX 11 capable graphics cards.

So maybe another week?

Yup, expect to see em when Windows 7 officially launches. Then everyone and their sister will want a DX11 card to be 'compatible' with the new OS. But I expect that a lot more of the 57xx series will sell than the 58xx series.

agreed, the price point on ANY current gen card that sells the most is the $100-200 range, regardless of what generation of cards we're talking about. mid-market is where the numbers are. They call it a Bell Curve for a reason...

in norcal, 5870 and 5850 are already available at fry's, micro center, and smaller chains like central computers.

The fastest card my local Best Buy carries is a GTX 275. No joke, this is in Alpharetta, GA. 90% of their inventory seemed to have been 4770s(thought these were rare? guess not anymore) and 4850s. This was a week ago. I asked about the new ATI card and the guy said "lol no i wish". Ok he didn't say lol but you get the idea.

My local Fry's didn't have it either. Actually the fastest ATI card they had was a 4850. No 4870s and no 4890s. Was a sad day for me.

Here in Canada..... maybe 6 months, what a joke. BB is new, but while Future Shop was never the pinnacle of hardware sales, it's like they've totally given up trying to compete with the boutique retailers. They don't even sell the vast majority off add-in computer components, and most of the stuff they do sell is no-name store brand crap. I was just at a FS today and the newest ATI card they had in stock was a 4670.

The fastest card my local Best Buy carries is a GTX 275. No joke, this is in Alpharetta, GA. 90% of their inventory seemed to have been 4770s(thought these were rare? guess not anymore) and 4850s. This was a week ago. I asked about the new ATI card and the guy said "lol no i wish". Ok he didn't say lol but you get the idea.

My local Fry's didn't have it either. Actually the fastest ATI card they had was a 4850. No 4870s and no 4890s. Was a sad day for me.

Same with me. We don't have Fry's here in Florida, but BB NEVER gets enthusiast level hardware. They just sell mid level hardware for insanely inflated prices.

Out in Arizona, Fry's has the 5870's... XFX versions :D

Or alteast had last week, when I bought one.

Odd, because the microcenter in Northern Virginia does not have either of the Cypress cards.

i'm not surprised. the busiest fry's store out here is the sunnyvale branch but they seem to always be behind other stores in the country at getting new cards.

Went back to Fry's today and they had a 5870 but it was a Diamond. Still no 4870s or 4890s, likely never will again.

My buddy is manager at our local BB. They carry nothing more high end than a GTX-275 and/or 4890s. Don't plan on seeing 5870's on store shelves at BBs any time soon.

My buddy is manager at our local BB. They carry nothing more high end than a GTX-275 and/or 4890s. Don't plan on seeing 5870's on store shelves at BBs any time soon.

It's something like that makes me wonder why BB even bothers with that kind of stuff. It's why I miss having a CompUSA (in SE Wisconsin, it's all we had) and makes me wish we had a MicroCenter closer to me.

It's something like that makes me wonder why BB even bothers with that kind of stuff. It's why I miss having a CompUSA (in SE Wisconsin, it's all we had) and makes me wish we had a MicroCenter closer to me.

You must be in SE Central, because Milwaukee is SE WI, and there is BB all over down there. Even Grafton has a BB now.

Local Fry's in S. Cali have a few HD5850s and HD5870s.

No HD5770s. :( Fry's is supposed to be getting XFX HD5770s soon but the price will be steep at $199.

B&M prices are going to be higher for these cards.

I picked up mine at the Microcenter in VA, they are all sold out now.

I'm only half joking (okay, maybe mostly joking) when I say it's more likely my local Wal-Mart has a 58xx or 57xx series card in stock then my local Best Buy. Then again, I haven't been in Best Buy for over a year, I honestly just can't stand them. Not flaming anyone if they do like them (although I'd wonder why they do...) but I really dislike the place to be honest.

Same here, I miss compusa. Lucky for me, there is a microcenter near by. :D

They have Sapphire 5770s for $155.95 NOW at Central Computers in the bay area. About to go get myself one!

They have Sapphire 5770s for $155.95 NOW at Central Computers in the bay area. About to go get myself one!

If I lived near that store I'd go there in person and get one. Very nice price for B&M store.

Why would you buy at a B&M when you could order online and avoid tax. NewEgg, Amazon or ZZF.

Why would you buy at a B&M when you could order online and avoid tax. NewEgg, Amazon or ZZF.

1. ZZF and Newegg charge taxes to California since they are located in California.
2. I'd have to wait a few days for the HD5770.
3. The price is higher at Newegg, ZZF and Amazon.

Back