When will we see single 2GB RAM modules?

JLGatsby

Weaksauce
So far most normal PC users are limited because there are only 4 slots on consumer motherboards, and since the the biggest they make is a 1GB mod, we cannot take full advantage of the high RAM limits (128GB) of 64 bit OSes.

When will we see a single 2GB moduls? So we can have 8GB total RAM in our systems like the Mac dweebs do.

IMHO Once vista come out and more programs/games come out for it, then there will be more demand for higher sized ram.

Uh, 2GB Modules have been around for awhile, just not that prevalent in the desktop market (and not in terms of performance either). Mainly they appear in ECC/Registered varieties for server boards. How else are you going to hit the 32GB max limit or something on a server board? ;)

Don't quote me on this, but I think 4GB DIMMs are also available for ridiculously high prices due to lower yields/demand. ;)

movax said:
Don't quote me on this, but I think 4GB DIMMs are also available for ridiculously high prices due to lower yields/demand. ;)
Yup, there might even be 8gb modules at this point, 4gb sticks are old news.

I regularly deal with Kingston 2GB DDR2 667 CAS3 buffered modules at work. Think I've seen Unbuffered in that speed / latency as well, but I'm not sure. Kingston sells them to us direct at a price just south of $400.00.

Edge makes a good amount of 2GB sticks also, I've seen a good amount of those at work.
Price isn't all that bad either.

Yeah, but I don't see 2GB mods on NewEgg. I want some for the desktop market.

They should just do away with 512MB mods and have 1 and 2 GB mods. That's the day I want to see.

BinaryApe said:
To bad that that is a dual dimm Solution at COmpusa ^^^^^^
Yep, but even 4x1GB modules is plenty enough for the desktop market, seeing as how Vista is finally the "major" x64 OS coming out on the Microsoft side of things. (XP X64 was always treated like some kind of bastard child...), and can address the entirety of the RAM now.

BF3 and BF3142 will use all 4GB. ;) (hides from flames)

Well, since Windows XP doesnt run anything more then 4gb optimally, there is no need for 2gb modules in the desktop market. So.. until vista (like others are saying). :)

lithium726 said:
Yup, there might even be 8gb modules at this point, 4gb sticks are old news.

At like $1000 a stick, im not kidding either! :eek:

Astrogiblet said:
Well, since Windows XP doesnt run anything more then 4gb optimally, there is no need for 2gb modules in the desktop market. So.. until vista (like others are saying). :)

Some people have 64 bit versions of Windows XP and Vista. You can put 128Gb on those. Welcome to the 21st century.

Back