where can i get a cool "learn how to solder kit"

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
I wanna learn the way of a solder'er and make some cool stuff if i can as well.

i was thinking of doing a LED fading thing. like 5 LEDs in a row, cycle from bright and then fade out, etc.

is that hard to do?

someone told me radio shack sells that type of stuff. is it worth getting a kit there?

Learning how to solder and learning how to wire circuits are two very different things.

Soldering is very easy to learn, but takes some time to master. I recommend getting a soldering iron, some solder, a solder sucker or wick, and grab an old circuit board. You can practice desoldering and soldering capacitors and such on that. You can grab everything you need at Radio Shack for less than $30.

As far as learning how to wire circuits yourself, you can try finding some books on the subject, or you can buy kits that you just have to put together.

S1nF1xx said:
Learning how to solder and learning how to wire circuits are two very different things.

Soldering is very easy to learn, but takes some time to master. I recommend getting a soldering iron, some solder, a solder sucker or wick, and grab an old circuit board. You can practice desoldering and soldering capacitors and such on that. You can grab everything you need at Radio Shack for less than $30.

As far as learning how to wire circuits yourself, you can try finding some books on the subject, or you can buy kits that you just have to put together.

I would have to agree with s1nf1xx I think the ideal thing to practice on would be an old motherboard. this provides you with a combination of surface mounts, DIPs, header pins, and I/O connecters

I learned from this kit, which includes a soldering iron, solder, some wire cutters, and the kit itself (a siren). If you don't have any tools or solder it is a pretty good deal, but if you do, then just go through one of the above suggested routes.

Back