Where does the pump go?

Providence

Limp Gawd
Sorry for what I'm sure is a basic question, but I've never built a computer before!

I bought a 12 volt dangerden pump and it came with a power cord that has three pins.

On the motherboard, I've got two female three-pin slots. One is labeled "NB_fan" (for the north bridge? I don't need a fan for it...) and the other is labeled "PWR_fan." Does the pump go in one of those two, or do I need to get it powered some other way?

By the way, planned route:

pump->t line->CPU->GPU->triple radiator->pump

you bought a DB-1 pump didn't you

you need a 3 pin to 4 pin molex connector, unless you can manually control "fan" speeds on your mobo 3 pin headers.

you bought a DB-1 pump didn't you

you need a 3 pin to 4 pin molex connector, unless you can manually control "fan" speeds on your mobo 3 pin headers.
What he means is that although your motherboard should be able to power your pump off a 3-pin header, the automatic temperature control might throttle down your pump. Many mobos will control the northbridge (and even case fans) fan speed based on the NB temperature to reduce noise at idle. Since your pump is plugged into the mobo header, it might get turned down, lowering your flowrate and reducing performance.

While plugging the pump into the mobo header (I'd suggest the PWR fan, if it can reach that far) should work (try and find out how many watts the header can take - most are around 10 watts, more than your pump requires), a 3 pin to 4 pin molex will run it at full speed all the time.

Oh crap ~_~ Oh well, thanks for the replies.

Rather than risking anything I'll probably just go out and buy a 3-pin connector to 4 pin connector.

Oh crap ~_~ Oh well, thanks for the replies.

Rather than risking anything I'll probably just go out and buy a 3-pin connector to 4 pin connector.

my fans came with one so i just used it and cuz the cables way to short to reach into the mobo.

By the way, planned route:

pump->t line->CPU->GPU->triple radiator->pump

and on that someone correct me if im wrong but doesnt the tline go into the pump like....T line-pump-cpu-gpu-rad-back to the pump?

It would be nice if someone would confirm that since I've never even built a computer before...but an excess of time and money made me build something state of the art :p

I ~swear~ someone told me that the t-line goes after the outlet, not just before the inlet...however I wasn't sure so that's why I posted my route.

If anyone has something to say about that I'm listening...especially because I'm getting the molex connector today after checking out my new apartment, and I'd like to test the loop.

The location of the Tline is fairly unimportant... So long as you can get all the air out.

Just make sure the pump is completely full of water before turning it on.

It would be nice if someone would confirm that since I've never even built a computer before...but an excess of time and money made me build something state of the art :p

I ~swear~ someone told me that the t-line goes after the outlet, not just before the inlet...however I wasn't sure so that's why I posted my route.

If anyone has something to say about that I'm listening...especially because I'm getting the molex connector today after checking out my new apartment, and I'd like to test the loop.

Doesn't matter in what order the components are in really. Just make sure the pump is full of water, being at the lowest part of the loop helps.

Before I try this, I just want to make sure of one thing:

The t-line goes at the highest point in the loop. So when I'm filling it, how can I best guarantee there is no air in the line? If the T-line is at the top, do I just fill it up to the brim of the t-line as best I can, and assume whatever air pocket may be left will just stay at the top of my loop?

It makes it alot easier to fill the system if the t-line is before the pump so the pump will pull water into the system from it. As for the highest point not sure it completely matters. Mine was level with my pump and it eventually got all the air out.

Before I try this, I just want to make sure of one thing:

The t-line goes at the highest point in the loop. So when I'm filling it, how can I best guarantee there is no air in the line? If the T-line is at the top, do I just fill it up to the brim of the t-line as best I can, and assume whatever air pocket may be left will just stay at the top of my loop?

Just to be clear - the open end of the t line should be the highest point in the loop. The t-line itself can be wherever it needs to be. You probably got that, but like I said, just clarifying.

To your question, leave some breather room - it doesn't have to be full. I usually leave 1/3 of the total exhaust line empty.

Back