Where have all the 16x10 displays gone?

Quad5Ny

n00b
So my 24" LG 246WP finely gave out(bought it in 2007) with a large black band going across the right side of the screen.

And I've started looking for a new 24"+ screen, but to my surprise it looks like everyone is switching over to 1920x1080. I can see how it makes sense for manufactures to keep everything in a single aspect ratio, but I don't wanna loose 120 pixels of height by upgrading(or 230,400 pixels/691,200 sub pixels total!). :(

Now to hijack my own thread :rolleyes: and ask - What's a good 24"+ IPS type display in 1920x1200 for under $500 USD?

Will be using it for PC Gaming, Content Creation and Blu-ray. So low input lag is a must, color accuracy is important too, although I could always borrow my friends ColorMunki. (LED Backlight is a plus too.)

Note: MVA is OK if it has low input lag, the 246WP had ZERO when compared to my old Philips 107S CRT.

I'll be going through the forums and looking through most of the new display threads, but It would be cool if whoever reads this would take a Minute and leave a suggestion or stab me in the face/flame me (Either Or). :D

-Thanks, Quad

So Quad5Ny, did you do something to damage your monitor? An LCD monitor should function flawlessly for 15 years or more unless you break it or exceed the life of the backlight tubes.

The funky marketing term "Full HD" took over and everything is 16:9 now.

Might wanna check out the 85 page thread above yours: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1491561

Yup, that HP monitor is on my list of possibles.

Have you looked in this thread yet?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1491561

It seems like this monitor's received mixed reviews, but for the price, it seems pretty good.

Celos posted the same one, but thanks. :p

So Quad5Ny, did you do something to damage your monitor? An LCD monitor should function flawlessly for 15 years or more unless you break it or exceed the life of the backlight tubes.

All the CCFL's are still good, based on the amount of inverter connections I think there are 6.

My best bet is it's a bad solder joint on one of the thin ribbon like cables that are connected directly to the LCD glass.

I tried to find the loose connection by pressing on all of them individual with a pencil eraser while the monitor was powered up but was unsuccessful. I also checked all the other connections on the main board, power supply board and the 2 other boards that connect to the display, but everything looks secure.

She was such a good display, I'm going to be sad to see her go. :(

The funky marketing term "Full HD" took over and everything is 16:9 now.

Heh, yea it sucks. It just feels like a downgrade to go to from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080.

23" 1080p seems to be replacing 24" 1200p.

----
----

Does anyone know if any online stores have a zero dead pixel policy?

Last edited:
I think it has more to do with the whole 1080p marketing bs they advertise on TVs now that has almost made it a standard with computer monitors. It is cheaper to manufacture 16:9 as well.

As long as HP and Dell are around with their 16:10 monitors I'll be satisified. Although the 16:9 U2711 is nice too. :D

It just feels with the advent of consoles' rise in popularity, PCs have been getting shafted. ie Modern Warfare 2. Just my opinion..

Last edited:
The Dell U2410 is another 24 inch, IPS monitor, with the resolution you're looking for. Unfortunately it still seems like it's a bit of a gamble when you order one. There's a lengthy discussion about this monitor in this thread. The monitor is normally $599.00, but it's often on sale like every other week. The lowest I've seen it was $499.00, putting it right in your price range.

Back