where is the ambient temp sensor on 6800U, and what temps?

black_b[ ]x

[H]ard|Gawd
Just curious where the sensor for this is located. I've seen an ambient as high as 42C in a steady state stress test (using the Far Cry Sandbox editor, runs nicely in a resizable window). Highest core temp has been 70C I think, this is with a modified maze4 block and the stock heatsink (with no fan) for the memory, but a decent airflow against it.

I didn't check when I installed the vga silencer 5, but from the way ambient rises (on the card, less on the motherboard) when the card is in use I'd guess it's near the GPU/fan or power supply section of the card.

If you're only seeing a maximum of 42C ambient temperature on your card, you must have a very cool case ambient temperature.

I just recently added some cardboard ducting from a fan to push more air onto my northbridge, that Really helped. I'll have to take a pic, its quite ugly (cut up dr. pepper box, masking and duct tape :)), but works great. After about 15 minutes of running the rthdribl demo (windowed to roughly 1000x875, 8x multi, getting 18-20fps), I'm at 28C case, 43 CPU, 43 GPU_ambient, 72 GPU_core. Its been steady there for a few minutes, so i think with adequate room ventilation (75F roughly) that should be my steady state at full load.

case is a coolermaster stacker, i have a thread in the WC forum with a few pics. Dual 120's on the heatercore are pointed up from the bottom of the case, conveniently hitting the vid. card. Stock ramsink (a few fins removed) and a modified maze4 for cooling.

On a side note, the rthdribl demo is simply amazing.

Back