Where is the illusive GTX-680?

g0lden

Weaksauce
I'm ready to throw my current computer out the window, and I've been eagerly waiting for the release of the EVGA GTX-680. I'm on the newegg auto-notify list, and still not a word. Is there something going on with these cards and thats why we can't get them?
I'm about ready to jump ship and head to AMD 7970 since they are so easy to get my hands on.

So whats the freakin deal with Nvidia?

That newegg auto notify list will always be too late for you to act the way these things fly out the door, you'll have to be more dedicated than that, otherwise, blow off the crazy and just get the 7970.

Sign up for auto notification on evga's site, you might have better luck. I got mine from there, and I also got one off newegg the first week they came out. You just have to be fast, and a little luck doesn't hurt.

NewEgg's auto-notify is a proven loser when it comes to the GTX 680. It goes out of stock far too quickly for NewEgg's email server to be of any use. I swear it takes them 15+ minutes to send the first email and by then it is OOS again. You just have to be persistent when it comes to beating the scalpers. Or beating the next guy who also wants a 680 when NewEgg offers 5 cards for sale.

This thread helped me get a card.

Yeah low yields plus high demand is keeping them hard to get.
Look if you NEED to game now then get the 7970, if you are ok with waiting then just wait. Its a better card stock it just depends on whats you want to pay/wait.

I got one by just going to Amazon randomly and typing GTX 680 in search. I actually got one within an hour of filling out the RMA request on my 7970. Was totally lucky.

Your best bet would be to sign up for e-mail notification on all of the GTX 680's on EVGA's site and order directly from them. They typically have the most stock of their own cards and they have a limit of 4 GTX 680's per household so not as many repeat buyers.

We just have to be patient.

I spent every day since a week ago looking for it, and I've yet to own one

Paper launch. Period. Not the first time this has happened either.

Paper launch?? I've been able to get my hands on 3 680s. yes they are hard to find but a paper launch means that the product is announced but not for sale. That is NOT the case here.

Last edited:
Paper launch. I stand by that assessment. As do most others. BTW congrats on getting your hands on three while others can't get one. You, sir, are a pro.

How is it possibly a paper launch if I got one the second day it was out, using EVGA's auto-notify?

And before you come out with "so glad you are pro enough to grab one", It involves luck and being on top of a sites auto-notify with my phone. A lower number of cards does not mean that it is not available to the public.

1. Newegg auto-notify.
2. Cellphone + Newegg app.
3. 2 day shipping.

LOL.

OP,

Newegg auto notify never worked for me despite the EVGA 680s coming in stock several times. I ended up getting mine a week ago for MSRP +$6 shipping from EVGA directly as their auto notify worked for me.

If you *really* wanted one, you could get one at anytime. Whether you get it for MSRP is a different story, but the availability is there. So definitely not a paper launch.

They should have been more prepared for this type of situation. This is bad...:(

I believe this to be a pretty narrow minded comment. With the case of low yields, preparedness comes with time. More time means delays from launching the card. Since many people do have these cards in hand and have been running them for weeks now it would mean pushing all of that back. Resulting in angering the enthusiast market even more.

Are you suggesting nVidia should have wait to release it's product until there is enough for everyone all at once? That type of thing only worked in preschool I think.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The availability has been horrible. Even if you are lucky enough to snag one you have to end up paying above MSRP. I hope availability of the 670 is better than what we've seen from the 680.

thanks for the heads up guys. I'm going to have to play the game a little harder now.

I ordered the GTX 680 about a week and a half ago, I'm so excited that I'm upgrading from an 8800 GTX from 4-5 years ago. It's going to be a big upgrade for me, but the back order is killing me. If you guys are wondering why I didn't upgrade for so long, it was because I was in college and had no time for games.

They show up on FS/FT somewhat often. I managed to get one and I wasn't even looking for one. Just had an opportunity to trade a 570 + cash for one so I did it. :cool:

Paper launch? It's more like cardboard.... it's not quite as flimsy as paper they are just in super high demand. You just have to play the game a little harder to get one right now.

I also have bought 3 680's and sold 2 at my purchase price on the forums

Well two of them are in my main PC, dunno where the rest of them are :D

Newegg auto-notify was how I got mine. I'm also glad I got my first choice of manufacturer (eVGA.)

They are not as hard to find as you think. I just opened my side panel and there was a GTX 680.

:D

As everyone else said you are going to have to be proactive. I literally watched NE each day on a separate monitor and refreshed the GTX 680 screen every 10 minutes.

Auto-notify only works when NE gets enough units in to fill a percentage of the auto-notify requests. If they don't get enough in the system does not send the emails. Better off just watching NE.

I signed up on evga.com to be notified as well. I want the 680 SC+back plate. I would like to purchase from newegg.com cause I plan to do a complete build from the ground up including monitor.
I'd also like everything to be on the same bill cause I plan to purchase using their "Preferred Account" option. If I can improve my credit rating at the same time that's a plus :)

Newegg auto-notify is about as worthless as it gets so if you want one you're going to have to be more proactive. My suggestion would be to subscribe to e-mail notifications for this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1681404

Did you not see my post where I said that Newegg auto-notify worked for me? That's not "as worthless as it gets."

Hell, I was getting dressed for work at 6 AM in Korea and I *STILL* managed to buy one with Auto Notify.

Did you not see my post where I said that Newegg auto-notify worked for me? That's not "as worthless as it gets."

Hell, I was getting dressed for work at 6 AM in Korea and I *STILL* managed to buy one with Auto Notify.

I'm happy for you but for the reference of others reading this thread Newegg's auto notify rarely works for the GTX 680's.

Back