Where is the new QX6800?

I am not sure. That's a good question. I have been looking for them to show up too even though I don't really plan on buying one. I am just curious why the availability is so low.

"The 135 W thermal design power (TDP) processor is only being sold to outlets that can properly cool it, and by that Intel means a water cooling system must accompany each QX6800"

werd, that ownz right there mang.

and wtf is a "boutique system builder"?! We are 1337 hax0rz with mad skillz not over priced Rodeo Drive prostitutes.

I’ve been holding out on buying the QX6700 waiting for this thing. I think at this point may be I should say screw it and grab the QX6700.

yeah if you have the cash, splash it out.. just get good cooling!

"The 135 W thermal design power (TDP) processor is only being sold to outlets that can properly cool it, and by that Intel means a water cooling system must accompany each QX6800"

werd, that ownz right there mang.

I don't know if that's necessarily true, but what I do know is that Core 2 Quad CPUs do run pretty hot. Even on water cooling, my Q6600 hasn't been as easy to overclock as my Core 2 Duo E6600 is.

I just bought a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme that I’m going to pair up with a Scythe S-FLEX fan. Are you saying this isn’t going to cut it as far as over clocking the QX6700? I’m only planning on a mild over clock around say 3 – 3.4GHz.

The system will reside in a SilverStone TJ-09 case.

QX6800 wont be out to the masses, it's a limited run to bridge gap the QX6700 to the QX6850.

I recomend that you wait for the QX6850 due in June (2H07) which will be a much better overall processor.

or just wait for the SuperPhantom8000 that's due out eventually.

FTW! BUY NOW DAMNIT, YOU MIGHT GET HIT BUY A BUS TOMORROW. GOD IS PROBABLY A SUN MAN (HAH, GET IT?) AND YOU WON'T HAVE ANY INTEL TOYS TO PLAY WITH UPSTAIRS!

BUY IT NOW!!

- JT

I just bought a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme that I’m going to pair up with a Scythe S-FLEX fan. Are you saying this isn’t going to cut it as far as over clocking the QX6700? I’m only planning on a mild over clock around say 3 – 3.4GHz.

The system will reside in a SilverStone TJ-09 case.

I don't know. I just got my Core 2 Quad less than a week ago and I am still playing with it. So far overclocking hasn't really been its' strong suit.

I don't know. I just got my Core 2 Quad less than a week ago and I am still playing with it. So far overclocking hasn't really been its' strong suit.

So is 3-3.4GHz on air a no go?

So is 3-3.4GHz on air a no go?

I would think in ideal conditions that it might be possible, however most people will not have systems located in ideal conditions.

I think 3.0GHz, or 3.2GHz is as high as most people will be able to go with air cooling. 3.2GHz and 3.4GHz are probably doable on water and a lucky few will be able to pull off 3.6GHz.

Already it's widely known that the quad core CPUs don't overclock as well as their dual core counterparts do. Mine runs about 8 degrees warmer on idle and at load then my E6600 did.

Thanks for the response to my questions.

It’s going to suck if I plop down a grand for this chip with out being able to hit 3GHz and then have Intel release the 6850.

What makes it worse is I’m in dire need of a CPU and don’t want to waste money on a another dual core.

Thanks for the response to my questions.

It’s going to suck if I plop down a grand for this chip with out being able to hit 3GHz and then have Intel release the 6850.

What makes it worse is I’m in dire need of a CPU and don’t want to waste money on a another dual core.

I'd grab a QX6700 if you are willing to throw down a grand. You should be able to reach 3.0GHz with it at least which will still be around the same speed as the QX6800. Since the QX6800 just came out I think it will be awhile before we see a QX6850 or anything along those lines. Of course you could do what I did and just opt for a Q6600 for now at half the price and overclock that. Then save your pennies and grab whatever $1,000 CPU is best after Penryn comes out. (That's what I am going to do.)

I can do 3.29 GHz (9x366) on my q6600 and u-120 extreme pretty easily (both lapped). Dunno why people would shell out that much more cash for these chips unless they plan to water cool them and take advantage of the unlocked multiplier... the harsh reality is I only have two apps that actually use all 4 of my cores: x264.exe and orthos.exe. I wish other apps could multithread as efficiently. Sort of makes o/c'ing a quad core chip a mute point.

I can do 3.29 GHz (9x366) on my q6600 and u-120 extreme pretty easily (both lapped). Dunno why people would shell out that much more cash for these chips unless they plan to water cool them and take advantage of the unlocked multiplier... the harsh reality is I only have two apps that actually use all 4 of my cores: x264.exe and orthos.exe. I wish other apps could multithread as efficiently. Sort of makes o/c'ing a quad core chip a mute point.

Well if you are a fan of Supreme Commander quad core is the way to go. Don't worry though more multi-threaded apps are coming in the future.

Of course you could do what I did and just opt for a Q6600 for now at half the price and overclock that. Then save your pennies and grab whatever $1,000 CPU is best after Penryn comes out. (That's what I am going to do.)

That’s a good idea but I was planning on using a Mushkin 4GB kit (PC2 6400) with this setup. I doubt I’m going to get very far with overclocking the front bus with the Q6600 and this memory.

That’s a good idea but I was planning on using a Mushkin 4GB kit (PC2 6400) with this setup. I doubt I’m going to get very far with overclocking the front bus with the Q6600 and this memory.
With your memory, you can overclock the Q6600 to 8x400MHz while having the memory running at its proper DDR2-800 frequency.

With your memory, you can overclock the Q6600 to 8x400MHz while having the memory running at its proper DDR2-800 frequency.

Exactly the point I was going to bring up.

You would be surprised. Depending on your motherboard you can use a divider and get quite a bit further than you might think. Only in the last year or so have I started investing in the really high dollar ram to overclock properly. Trust me you can get farther on standard ram than you might think.

Would I be able to with this memory –
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146690

I’m planning on using this with a Commando motherboard. I was thinking that the tighter timings on this memory (4-3-3-10) would leave little room for any overclock

Probably, with the use of a divider. I can't say for sure as I haven't used that ram before. I haven't had good luck with Mushkin in the past so I don't buy the stuff. For all my motherboard testing I typically use Corsair modules. I have used the occasional OCZ module but usually it's always Corsair. So I have no experience with any of the newer Mushkin ram.

The only reason I was going for the Mushkin 4GB kit was because I was thinking of a dual boot Vista/XP machine.

What about the Corsair Dominator memory, do think this would work well with the Q6600?

The only reason I was going for the Mushkin 4GB kit was because I was thinking of a dual boot Vista/XP machine.

What about the Corsair Dominator memory, do think this would work well with the Q6600?

Any PC6400 memory is going to be limited in 1:1 ratio overclocking with any processor. If you are speaking about the Dominator PC8888 or PC9600, or even the PC10000 memory then yes I'd say it would work fine.

I was talking about the PC6400 Dominator.

Which I guess from what you just said will put me right back in the same spot as the Mushkin.

This is the first I've heard about the QX6850. I think I will wait for the 6850 rather than buying a qx6700...

I’m planning on using this with a Commando motherboard. I was thinking that the tighter timings on this memory (4-3-3-10) would leave little room for any overclock
The thing is you can overclock the CPU without overclocking the memory.

Exactly. Since the ASUS Commando was mentioned I'll throw my $.02 in. The Commando is simply the finest P965 Express chipset based motherboard that I have ever used. Kyle even kept the one that we used for the review and put it into his own machine. What does that tell you?

Exactly. Since the ASUS Commando was mentioned I'll throw my $.02 in. The Commando is simply the finest P965 Express chipset based motherboard that I have ever used. Kyle even kept the one that we used for the review and put it into his own machine. What does that tell you?

Well I gave up the idea of using the Mushkin and ended up just picking up 2GB of Corsair Dominator PC26400/Cas 4.

I still haven’t decided between the QX6700 or the Q6600. How would I be able to overclock the Q6600 without overclocking the memory?

Well I gave up the idea of using the Mushkin and ended up just picking up 2GB of Corsair Dominator PC26400/Cas 4.

I still haven’t decided between the QX6700 or the Q6600. How would I be able to overclock the Q6600 without overclocking the memory?

Through the use of memory dividers. It's easy enough to do in the BIOS and you'll be able to keep the memory speed in check while overclocking the FSB of your CPU. On the other hand, you wouldn't have to do that with a QX6700. You would just have to set the multiplier and theoretically you'd be done.

Back