Where is this R600?

Hiltonizer

[H]ard|Gawd
What's the hangup? I'm dying over here.

With the problems i've had with nVidia lately (solved by borrowing an x1950Pro from BestBuy, to be returned within 30 days :cool: ), i'm never going back to nvidia.

Here it is...

ati.jpg

Great, now I'm going to have to find a c2d board with an ISA slot.:p

What's the hangup? I'm dying over here.

With the problems i've had with nVidia lately (solved by borrowing an x1950Pro from BestBuy, to be returned within 30 days :cool: ), i'm never going back to nvidia.

The latest rumor said March. Since there's no actual confirmation from AMD/ATI, who knows...it might come out sooner or even later than that.

R600 isn't going to be launched.
It's already here.

It's in the hearts and minds of every young boy and girl.
It's the dying wish of someone on their death bed, it's in the new hope of every child born.
Every time you do something nice for a stranger, you just launched the R600.
Every time you donate to charity instead of buying that Starbucks coffee, you just launched the R600.

R600 isn't a product, it's THE product, it's America.

R600 isn't going to be launched.
It's already here.

It's in the hearts and minds of every young boy and girl.
It's the dying wish of someone on their death bed, it's in the new hope of every child born.
Every time you do something nice for a stranger, you just launched the R600.
Every time you donate to charity instead of buying that Starbucks coffee, you just launched the R600.

R600 isn't a product, it's THE product, it's America.

Yes, it's the new symbol of peace and all the wrong in the world, caused by men and women, will go away because of it. It's the smile in a child's face. It's the sunset on a summer day.
When it's out, the world is going to be a much better place.:)

Yes, it's the new symbol of peace and all the wrong in the world, caused by men and women, will go away because of it. It's the smile in a child's face. It's the sunset on a summer day.
When it's out, the world is going to be a much better place.:)

No. Don't you see? The R600 is in each and every one of us.
The R600 is not a symbol of peace, it is peace itself.

if you have it, you dont need it
if you need it, you dont have it
if you have it, you need more of it
if you have more of it, you dont need less of it
you need it to get it, and you certainly need to get more of it
but if you don't already have any of it to begin with,
you cant get any of it to get started which means you really have no idea how to get it in the first place, do you?
you can share it, sure
you can even stock pile it if you like
but you cant fake it
wanting it
needing it
wishing for it
the point is, if you never had any of it, ever
people just seem to know

if you have it, you dont need it
if you need it, you dont have it
if you have it, you need more of it
if you have more of it, you dont need less of it
you need it to get it, and you certainly need to get more of it
but if you don't already have any of it to begin with,
you cant get any of it to get started which means you really have no idea how to get it in the first place, do you?
you can share it, sure
you can even stock pile it if you like
but you cant fake it
wanting it
needing it
wishing for it
the point is, if you never had any of it, ever
people just seem to know

You might want to quote where that is from so it doesn't look like you are taking credit.

Que?
I don't understand what he was trying to say in the first place?
What did he return and why is it lame?
He's saying that he bought an x1950pro from Best Buy to tide him over until R600 is available at which point he will return the x1950pro for a full refund. He's basically screwing Best Buy so he has a nice gpu until R600 is out.

He's saying that he bought an x1950pro from Best Buy to tide him over until R600 is available at which point he will return the x1950pro for a full refund. He's basically screwing Best Buy so he has a nice gpu until R600 is out.

serves them right.

I remember when I got a ti-89 for X-mas a long time ago from BB, I didnt have a receipt, but get this....I took the calculator back to BB to return it, it had the DAMN BEST BUY PRICE TAG still on it and they would not take it back. Since then I have not bought a single item at Worse Buy.

Hey, they're essentially getting a free loan for a month, and the card will just end up being sent back to ATI, so ATI is footing the bill - which they wouldnt have to if they had released the R600 on time D:<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R600#Launch_date

If there is any new info on launch dates it will be put there

It might be put there, but I doubt the accuracy. That page says that the R600 is designed to be shorter and run cooler than an 8800 GTX or GTS. It also says that it will use up to 265W.

I'm not sure how they expect to get a shorter and cooler card out of 265W.

Other sources have stated a 12" PCB to OEMs which is longer than both GTS and GTX. Of course, they might be wrong, as well. At this point, there is no way to separate specs from speculation.

Hey, they're essentially getting a free loan for a month, and the card will just end up being sent back to ATI, so ATI is footing the bill - which they wouldnt have to if they had released the R600 on time D:<

on time? AMD has never given anyone a release date. It could be released in June and stil be on time as long as they haven't committed to a certain date before then. Everything we've heard up to now has been rumor. AMD has not denied nor confirmed any ot them.

serves them right.

I remember when I got a ti-89 for X-mas a long time ago from BB, I didnt have a receipt, but get this....I took the calculator back to BB to return it, it had the DAMN BEST BUY PRICE TAG still on it and they would not take it back. Since then I have not bought a single item at Worse Buy.

so wait...they wouldn't take something back because you didn't have proof that you bought it from there and now you won't shop there after trying to return something you didn't even buy? Those bastards.

This thread is missing something...

Right about now someone from the other forum comes in and says how dumb it is not to buy a G80. Can we get someone on this ASAP? Just doesn't feel right without it.

why wait for the R600? The G80 is here and available now. It performs great and should not be missed out on!

happy?

on time? AMD has never given anyone a release date. It could be released in June and stil be on time as long as they haven't committed to a certain date before then. Everything we've heard up to now has been rumor. AMD has not denied nor confirmed any of them.

On time in a business sense would be at a strategic moment to remain competitive against a competitor (in this case, nvidia).

I'm sure there are many people who probably would have went with the R600, had the R600 had been released at the same time as, or before, the G80. A number of those may have already purchased G80 cards. Therefore resulting in lost sales. Everyday that goes by with a G80 available, and no R600 is more lost sales for the R600.

In summation, WHAT THE HELL IS THE HANGUP?

Personally, I don't think it should be released until it is ready and it has good drivers. Doesn't matter one bit to me when they want to release it, as long as it is good. NVIDIA is happy to put out video cards in the meantime. However, by delaying, they are giving NVIDIA a goodly amount of time to prepare to counter it when it does come out. Rumors are already flying that we'll see mainstream G80-based cards before the R600 comes out, which puts that much more pressure on AMD to release a full spectrum of products. I have no doubt whatsoever that NVIDIA is also working on a bigger badder version of the 8800GTX, specifically to counter whatever AMD releases in the high end. I also have no doubt that that bigger badder version of the 8800GTX will piss off a lot of the people that already own an 8800GTX, but you get that any time something newer and better is released....and it's not exclusive to the green team (although AMD is green, too, so maybe Red vs Green is no longer valid).

At some point, it is counter-productive to AMD to delay it any more, no matter how good it could be. At some point, they'll have to kick it out of the door and hope for the best.

Yah that G80 comment actually made me happy. Nothing like good bit of denial and !!!!!!ism in every thread I say. When the !!!!!!s fight to the death in Nerd arena defending their clearly inferior product, thats when it gets entertaining :D <-- I mean earlier products than current ones, if that was not so clear.

/rant on
I in the other hand cheer for this R600 hold up since Iam sick and tired of this vicious upgrade cycle BS. Give us a Zeus of 3D cards once a year and its all I need, not a new card +25mhz refresh card every 3 months or so. This way we could actually get revolutionary products like G80/R600 more often than on every new DX version.
/rant off

ATI VGA Wonder, circa approximately 1993 or 1994. It is the 512K version with the option to upgrade to 1 MB. It has the 15-pin VGA port and what I think is a 9-pin monochrome monitor port. Not sure, though.

ATI VGA Wonder, circa approximately 1993 or 1994. It is the 512K version with the option to upgrade to 1 MB. It has the 15-pin VGA port and what I think is a 9-pin monochrome monitor port. Not sure, though.

The 9 pin port is for digital monitors (you know, Mono, CGA, and EGA). It would auto detect what monitor your plugged into it so as not to damage it. Between those two prots was a bus mouse port for an optional mouse that came in the box. And it was actually released in 1987.

This thread is missing something...

Right about now someone from the other forum comes in and says how dumb it is not to buy a G80. Can we get someone on this ASAP? Just doesn't feel right without it.

I thought I would contribute too.

While you all sit here and wait for the next great vaporware item, I am happily enjoying my 8800GTS :p

While you all sit here and wait for the next great vaporware item, I am happily enjoying my 8800GTS :p

So how do you feel about using crappy drivers and ugly control panel? :p I kiiiiid I kiiid :D

disclaimer:

Above comment is meant to be taken with humoristic attitude and in no situation should you start a fight about it. Now having said that, nobody can can take the comment seriously :)

On time in a business sense would be at a strategic moment to remain competitive against a competitor (in this case, nvidia).

I'm sure there are many people who probably would have went with the R600, had the R600 had been released at the same time as, or before, the G80. A number of those may have already purchased G80 cards. Therefore resulting in lost sales. Everyday that goes by with a G80 available, and no R600 is more lost sales for the R600.

In summation, WHAT THE HELL IS THE HANGUP?

Unfortunetly not.
You see, you are (none of us are, actually) in no position to comment on AMD/ATI's strategy. Therefore, none of can determine when that 'strategic moment is'. We're all just armchair CEO's when we try and comment on what's going on. Out there is the real CEO and only his opinion matters.

I believe it is ATI's strategy to come out later this time. First to market DOES NOT GUARANTEE SUCCESS. Countless products have proven this, especially in the tech arena.

Thank you.

Please tell more of your people to come into this thread and comment on a product they have no intention on purchasing.

Please. It just wouldn't be the same without it.

Infact! Let's just call this forum "ATI Forum (Kinda)".

That's a beast! Can we see some benchmarks on how it will fare against the 8800GTX. I can see theres a connector on top for crossfire too =P

Let me put it this way: ATI VGA Wonder 512K < 8800GTX.

Back