Where to get a connector like this and what is it called

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I bought a 20 X 2 VFD terminal from BG Micro and all I wanted was the LCD compatable VFD and not the terminal but I need a special connector for the VFD as it was connected to the main PCB with a 2 X 7 Pin connector and now the VFD only has a socket for those pins. Is it possible to get one that I can put on a ribbon cable (IDC Connector) I really don't know the name of this part so bear with me thanks

Heres a Pic of the main PCB Connector

Heres a Pic of the holes for the pins to go into on the VFD

Pending your Radio Shack hasn't been taken over by cell-phones, you can get them there. If it has been taken over by cell phones, try a nearby town's RS.

I believe they are called 'strip headers' or 'pin strips'.

Do you live in Texas?

If so, you my be nearby:

Altex

Picked up everything I needed for my Noritake VFD. Cost me $3.06 including tax. ( 20 pin connector, 3ft of 20 core cable, 25 pin male connector, 25 pin shroud ) They have everyhting you'd need. Connectors, cabling, etc.....

No not in Texas Im in CT this Noritake VFD has a 2 X 7 connector though not a 20 pin connector like yours did

If you're cheap or in a hurry, just desolder the strip pins and wire directly to the board. If the display is mounted in a somewhat permanent location, it won't matter anyway. I've done this on several scavenged display projects, works fine.

If you've got a Fry's nearby, they also have pin headers, in a nice, cuttable-to-length form.

Is the pin spacing the same as an IDE header? If so, cut one down the connector and peel off the excess wires. Use old cut off leads from through hole components to make legs.

Fenris_Ulf said:
Is the pin spacing the same as an IDE header? If so, cut one down the connector and peel off the excess wires. Use old cut off leads from through hole components to make legs.
I've actually done this myself. The spacing is the same--0.1". It works well, even if it's a bit ghetto.

Make absolutely sure you don't wind up with the rows swapped, it's something that can easily happen when using IDC connectors.

Back