Where to get POS 7" monochrome monitor?

OdinsDream

[H]ard|Gawd
We've all seen them. Anywhere you buy something and the cashier uses a simple computer system with a tiny green-on-black screen, usually beige casing, and about 7" wide... that's what I'm looking for.

I don't know what they're actually Called, though. I've searched ebay for POS monitor, POS screen, etc. I've come up empty-handed. Does anyone here have an old, but working, screen they'd like to part with? Or, do you know where to get it?

No but, what the hell would you want one for? That would be a wierd looking casemod.

As it is, I have an LCD mounted to my wall with a decent resolution. I really can't complain. But, my video card is a G450, with the dual-head capability. I thought it would be nifty to have that dinky monochrome monitor sitting on my desk with a terminal window in it all the time. Maybe running a network stats program...

I generally have a thing for the old-school stuff like that... thought it would be a nice conversation piece.

You know, when I saw "POS" in the title, I was thinking of something else entirely.
The linked POS monitor on ebay looks promising, but I'm not certain the video card would provide enough power to drive it (it has no dedicated power cord).

Originally posted by leukotriene
You know, when I saw "POS" in the title, I was thinking of something else entirely.
The linked POS monitor on ebay looks promising, but I'm not certain the video card would provide enough power to drive it (it has no dedicated power cord).

It should work just fine. VGA is VGA ;)

But really, it should work fine. A 9" monochrome doesn't need much power, and a VGA does put out quite a bit of power.

Originally posted by leukotriene

Fuck! I dont even have to power it?? That's AWESOME. This is great.

Thanks everyone!

last time i checked vga puts out 0volts, its nothing more then singles, id say that its a special interface on that monitor if indeed there is no power plug

It does put out voltage. When I plug my 15" in wo/ the power cord all the leds and stuff turn on, just not the tube. A 9" monochrome tube don't need much power and prolly can be powered via the VGA.

If it doesn't work, just sell it again on ebay ;)
There are other NCR 7450 series monitors that are powered externally if the K120 don't work for you :)

I'm sure I can work out the schematics in the event that it doesn't actually pull from the VGA line. I'm not really sure of the voltage specifications for VGA myself, and was surprised to hear that it might actually run off that.

I'd suspect there's going to be a separate interface, or that the cable is more than standard VGA... maybe a special connector with pins for power in additon to the video signal.

Anywho...a few days will tell.

Still trying to believe that a VGA connector can power a monitor, LCD maybe (miracle) but CRT doubt it. Start up current of ANY CRT is high, Here are pinouts of VGA connector just where is the power coming from and how many amps or watts is VGA spec?

Pin # Description

1 Red Video
2 Green Video
3 Blue Video
4 Sense 2 (Monitor ID bit 2)
5 Self Test (TTL Ground)
6 Red Ground
7 Green Ground
8 Blue Ground
9 Key - reserved, no pin
10 Logic Ground (Sync Ground)
11 Sense 0 (Monitor ID bit 0)
12 Sense 1 (Monitor ID bit 1)
13 Horizontal Sync
14 Vertical Sync
15 Sense 3 - often not used

I still have text symbols resembling various RPG games cast by the green glow of circa late 80's monitors burned into my eyes.

*falls to floor, engages fetal position and shivers incessantly*

Originally posted by Ramfart
Still trying to believe that a VGA connector can power a monitor, LCD maybe (miracle) but CRT doubt it. Start up current of ANY CRT is high, Here are pinouts of VGA connector just where is the power coming from and how many amps or watts is VGA spec?

Pin # Description

1 Red Video
2 Green Video
3 Blue Video
4 Sense 2 (Monitor ID bit 2)
5 Self Test (TTL Ground)
6 Red Ground
7 Green Ground
8 Blue Ground
9 Key - reserved, no pin
10 Logic Ground (Sync Ground)
11 Sense 0 (Monitor ID bit 0)
12 Sense 1 (Monitor ID bit 1)
13 Horizontal Sync
14 Vertical Sync
15 Sense 3 - often not used

Well, that confirms my suspicion. Looks like I'll be doing some custom wiring when the thing arrives next week. Could you give a reference to where you found those pinouts? I may end up needing them.

I know gettin a card to work with it IS possible, as I'm almost certain Claire's (that stupid girly store) has the same monitor plugged into a p3 rig running 98.

So either hack it up and make it a vga cable and split the 12v to somewhere else or look for an old CGA PCI card.

correct me if im wrong but isnt there a DVI Spec where they run the power through the cord? cant you use the pwoer coming from the DVI for something?

well, theres somthing close to that, apple ADC (i think) does what you discribed, and it looks identical to DVI, ADC can even power a 17" CRT

Back