Where to get short, dual-device, rounded ATA-133 cables?

iddqd

[H]ard|Gawd
Hmm.. Well, it seems that the good-old 18" cable is too long after all. I need a 4-6" cable, with a 4-6" 2nd device extension. So, we're looking at a total of 8-12". I also want it rounded and blue/black, EL/UV would also be nice (but unnecessary). So, does anyone know where to get them? I've tried FrozenCPU, but they only have single-device 6" cables (which would be nice, if only they had dual-device ones) :(. I don't feel like filling up both my IDE channels right now, as I'll be getting an IDE hard drive later.

Thanks in advance, forum goons.

Get a 12" ribbon and round it yourself? It should lose an inch or two in the rounding process.

But I don't know how to splice it to put the ribbon back into the plugs :(. Btw, where can I get blank PCI brackets??

iddqd said:
But I don't know how to splice it to put the ribbon back into the plugs :(. Btw, where can I get blank PCI brackets??

Don't remove the plugs. Just slice the ribbon between the wires, bundle, and tie, just like in the olden days before rounded commercial cables.

Why would they have any at all? Edit: the ones that come off OEM cases are not suitable for re-attachement. It's just a piece of metal, in that case.

iddqd said:

If it's an 80 wire split groups of 8 or 10. Be VERY careful when you cut. Use a razor blade and cut only a centimeter at a time. It's a piece of cake. Use zip ties to secure the wires and/or electrical tape.

nonono that won't do. Then I can't put the rubber end-pieces, OR the tube on the cable.

iddqd said:
nonono that won't do. Then I can't put the rubber end-pieces, OR the tube on the cable.

if you use some spiral wrap it won't matter much. i used to just use zip ties and didn't care how it looked.

I care how it looks, though. Why do you think I want to replace an 18" cable with a short one?

iddqd said:
I care how it looks, though. Why do you think I want to replace an 18" cable with a short one?

Well then you'd better learn how to crimp connectors apparently. It's not all that tough, and if you screw up, cable is a lot cheaper by the foot.

Othersider said:
Well then you'd better learn how to crimp connectors apparently. It's not all that tough, and if you screw up, cable is a lot cheaper by the foot.
Is there a guide?

Back