Where to place Subwoofer?

Sz1hart

Limp Gawd
Hey there,

I was just wondering where you guys place your subwoofer since I just receive my and read the warning paper above it. Says to place 2 feet away from tv, monitor, etc, or should I leave extra room? The reason why I ask because I know that magnets can damage monitors/TV...

Should I place them on the floor right under my monitor(and make sure its 2 feet away)? Also would the satellites have the same effect as the subwoofer(asking since I saw people place your center ones right under the monitor)?

Sorry for so many questions since I just got them(z5500(s)) and all. They sure are alot bigger(and heavyer) then from the pictures.

Thanks Alot

To get the most throbbing sound out of your subwoofer, try to place it in a corner.

Personally, I just leave it beside my TV stand and it's fine. WHERE you place it isn't a huge factor... the subwoofer pumps out only low frequency sounds, and as a result your ear can't really detect where it's coming from (unless it's near level with your ear... the reason they recommend you put a subwoofer on the ground).

So yeah... in a corner if you can, if not just put it anywhere...

Corner loading the sub will give you a lot of boom, but you are also introducing lots of gain in specific db ranges, causing audio humps that are very and I mean very difficult to get rid of. Many don't care about the humps usually at 65-80 and again near 40. I for one like a nice flat audio curve. You would need something like a Berringer feedback destroyer to defeat the hump.

If its a cheap sub (under 200 bucks) go for the humps, you most likely have a bassboost on the sub also. If you have stepped into the world of high fidelity, be kind to yourself and your ears and keep your sub out of the corner.

thanks alot guys, I just wanted to make sure since i don't really know much about audio and would like to get the most out of my gear and well the most out of them for a long time to come.

I don't know if I should post here or in the power thread but...

Since we are talking about audio, would it matter if I have a good surge suppressor? I don't know much about surge suppressors so would it be wise to get a good one from say monster? As of right now I don't have enough outlets for all the stuff that i bought and since im going to buy a new one should it be best to get a expensive one or are they all fine? A good warranty also looks nice mostly lifetime(which I believe monster has).

Thanks for the help, I won't be able to use my speakers or other stuff yet because of the outlet problem I have right now.

Technically, the place to put it is to listen for bass notes from the normal speakers, find the point in the room with the weakest bass and put it there. That will produce the most uniform and strongest bass without humps.

But, that never works out to be a place where you want it. So, find the next weakest spot where you can be happy with it sitting.

I have the Z-5500's and i first put the massive sub in the corner under my desk, and it pounded hard, but my computer kept crashing. (the pc and sub were around 10 or 11 inches from each other). My advice is if its mostly for gaming, put the sub under your desk or in a corner, if its for music mostly with the Z-5500's what i find works the best, good levels all around, is to have the subwoofer on the outside of your desk, to the right or left of it, preferably closer to the side you sit. Hope that helps.

If the corner of the wall happens to be close to where you are then its a good idea, but if you can place the sub very close to you then it will be more efficient. The volume drops quickly the farther you are away. So putting in the corner may give say a small gain, but if its 10 feet away the volume is going to be dropped much more that what you gained and you'll have to turn the volume up more. So if you put the sub right under your desk or beside it, then you will not need as much power.

Speaker magnets only distort CRT type displays. If you have a LCD, Plasma, DLP or something like that, then the speaker will do nothing to the picture. Unless the subwoofer is on the freaking desk you will probably not notice any picture distortion :)

Put the sub where you are going to be sitting. Pump some tunes out of it and crawl around the room and find the place where it sounds best. Put the sub there.

lol, thanks alot guys. I find it wierd that I own 2 2405(ones in the box because of the outlet problem) and for some wierd reason, I like to use my 5year old crt thats only 17inch compare to the 24" right next to it.I been getting into fireworks, photoshop, dreavermeaver, etc so that may be why since I can get better detail at low rez.

Haven't game for awhile, which is wierd also since I use to play halo2 24/7, now I don't even touch any of my games or play any games. I would show you my setup but I don't have a camera(just bought a Sony T7 for 455 with 4 year warranty, but am going to return it for a samsung).

Is it me or does the speaker get louder after a few use since they seem louder then before...?

Thanks for all the feedback, I only hook up 2 speaker since I don't have room here right now and am going to wait for the fps to come in. I'm very happy that I place my order on these speakers. Now I just need a bigger desk...

oVerCaffeinated said:
Put the sub where you are going to be sitting. Pump some tunes out of it and crawl around the room and find the place where it sounds best. Put the sub there.

According to the general knowledge of home theatre setup guides (I have that DVD around here somewhere too...), your supposed to put it where the bass sounds weakest, not where you get the best bass, that will occur naturally if the sub is placed where the bass would be naturally weaker.

noobman said:
To get the most throbbing sound out of your subwoofer, try to place it in a corner.

Personally, I just leave it beside my TV stand and it's fine. WHERE you place it isn't a huge factor... the subwoofer pumps out only low frequency sounds, and as a result your ear can't really detect where it's coming from (unless it's near level with your ear... the reason they recommend you put a subwoofer on the ground).

So yeah... in a corner if you can, if not just put it anywhere...

corner loading = EVIL!!! hehe unless you like that muchy crap that most people call "bass" which is really 45 hz region which make the sub seem sloppy and boomy. ;)

Floruro said:
Youre right dude :)
http://www.axiomaudio.com/tips_subwoofer_placement.html

Lots of other good tips there too.
Placing the rear speakers more towards each other gave much better results for me as well.

Sounds like a variation on the theme, BUT, that theme only works if you take the extra step to first locate the sub where you normally listen (get long rca cables and an extension cord) and THEN crawl around to find where it sounds best and THEN finally locate it at that spot.

The other method is to play music without the sub, find the weak spot in bass and put it there. Both accomplish the same acoustic result.

But, thanks for posting that: I can see where the first putting it where you normally sit then crawling around to find a spot it sounds good at being the only viable method you can find good placement in the case where you do not have main/surround speakers that are capable of producing bass (such as Bose acoustimass or other models with small sattellites)

Back