Which 120GB SSD should I buy?

Which 120GB SSD should I buy? I'm going to throw it in my M11X laptop, and I'd like something that's going to be both reliable and fast.

Corsair? Intel? Which models? What other brands?

Intel 320. Can't beat the reliability and 5yrs warranty if you are willing to spend that much.

Yeah im looking for a non sandforce drive that has very high random IO performance over sequential. Any recommendations SATA III is a must. I have all my Sata II ports used up already.

Just make sure whatever you buy does not use a Sandforce controller.

I agree, I have had horrible luck with 3 sandforce drives.

My 120gb intel is doing great but it is the last gen, apparently the new gen has minor problems. I haven't heard anything bad about the M4 so that might be the best bet.

Intel 320 for Sata II or Intel 510 for Sata III. Best choices out there. 510 is a bit pricey but god it's great. 320 wait a bit for Firmware update...power issues.

My old intel 25 80gb is awesome. I've never had a problem with it. Wonder if I should just get the same thing.

force gt because it has a coupon right now and it's a pretty good drive. if sandforce is out, then I would fallback to c300/m4, whichever is cheaper at the moment.

I agree with suftsk8snow.jah, there is some difference going into 240gb vs sanforce, but at 120gb the intel 510 seems to peform very competitive, so this would be my choice for 120gb for sata III, or Crucial M4 (and not use the RST).

I have been trying to decide the same thing... and I eventually narrowed it down to the C300 or the M4. I was gonna buy it tonight and tried to snag a C300 on buy.com for 179.99 (189.99 and $10 extra coupon) but when I went to pay it took it out of my cart and the price went up to $252!!!!

So I looked around for some more deals and just found the Crucial M4 128gb on superbiiz for $195 after their coupon code (ends today) with free shipping. Still got a pretty good deal I think.

I don't mean to imply the tom's review is bad, but umm

4kread.png

these numbers are *not* possible. for qd1 4k random read. nope. not going to happen. nobody can pull more than 40mb/s on a random 4k read at qd1 unless you're using like a fusion-io.

I don't mean to imply the tom's review is bad, but umm

these numbers are *not* possible. for qd1 4k random read. nope. not going to happen. nobody can pull more than 40mb/s on a random 4k read at qd1 unless you're using like a fusion-io.

I'm interested in this. Please elaborate.

So how about now? Is it even worth it to go sandforce? Which drive should I look at with the most performance and the least amount of problems?

Intel or Crucial IMHO still best bet.

M4 64gb
Intel G2 80gb
Intel 510 120gb

I can't tell difference in real-world desktop/workstation usage.
I don't move big files - so you may be able to tell doing that daily.

-Todd

I thought the Corsair Force 3 drives used SF-2200 controller? according to that chart it doesn't though...

I thought the Corsair Force 3 drives used SF-2200 controller? according to that chart it doesn't though...

According to that chart ? Because ? Do you realize that choice of the flash type can make pretty significant differences in performance (Sync/Async/special flash modules).

Back