Which 1GB sticks to get?

thevelourfog

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok I know this has been asked a billion times, but I need 2GB of RAM for my 3D stuff and BF2. I don't really want to pay top dollar for the Crucial sticks, but I do want some overclockability. I'll be using these on a DFI nf4 ultra and Venice 3000+.

I was looking at the Patriot sticks since they're only $120 each and are supposedly good overclockers at stock voltage. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220045

Any other suggestions, like the OCZ Platniums or the Corsair Value Selects ? I want to keep this under $300 and don't want XMS, since I have them now and they haven't been the greatest.

Crucial Value Ram, DO IT!

Individually my sticks did well over 250Mhz at stock SPD timings, together I got them to about 240Mhz @ stock (3-3-3-8 IIRC).

If you haven't already purchased, I'd go 3200+ instead if your overclocking.

Another option is to go 4x512 TwinMOS SP and throw tons of voltage at it. Just be ready to add some active cooling

I went with ocz premium (or premier I cant remember) ram, it was $90 for 2x512 and it was fast

I've read a couple posts that claimed DFI compatibility issues with the Crucial. What is your experience with it?

That's what I like to hear n64man120! I guess I'll find out 7/28 when I get my Crucial Value.

No problems with crucial and my mobo.

Even better news, these specs were taken when I first got the board and ram. Apparently over time as the ram works in you can get even more out of it!

I went with 1gb Mushkin PC3200 Value stuff for about 100$. I dont overclock heavily tho so it may be a different story for you.

n64man120 said:
No problems with crucial and my mobo.

Even better news, these specs were taken when I first got the board and ram. Apparently over time as the ram works in you can get even more out of it!
you have a link to that ram? is it a matched pair or two of the 1GB sticks?

Xee said:
I haven't oc'd them but others who did reported great results.
really, everything i've seen would make me think you should expect ~220mhz

CRXican said:
you have a link to that ram? is it a matched pair or two of the 1GB sticks?
newegg has the best price, but only in single sticks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146545

you can pay a bunch more to buy two at once direct from crucial
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.Asp?IMODULE=CT2KIT12864Z40B

I think I'll just get 2 of these Crucial sticks from the egg then since ya'll recomending them. I'm gonna be in Oregon for a week, so I won't have to pay the normal tax, will be posting my results afterwards.

n64man120 said:
Crucial Value Ram, DO IT!

Individually my sticks did well over 250Mhz at stock SPD timings, together I got them to about 240Mhz @ stock (3-3-3-8 IIRC).

If you haven't already purchased, I'd go 3200+ instead if your overclocking.

Another option is to go 4x512 TwinMOS SP and throw tons of voltage at it. Just be ready to add some active cooling

I already have the 3000+, I preordered back before they were released because I was impatient unfortunately. I don't really want active cooling or anything special, so I'd rather go with 2 1gb sticks.

I have 2xcrucial 1gb and its not very impressive on my DFI board. 215ish is the max at stock voltage 3-3-3-8 1T it will go. :( Even with the voltage at 2.8v it wasn't doing much better.

Could be poor ram, but odd's are you just haven't figured out how to max it out. I was limited like that at first and after lots of tweaking I found some big key changes that let me get the ram alot further

Back