Which 20-22 in lcds can tilit to portrait (90degrees)?

kaluminati

Gawd
I'm lookin for a cheap 20 or 22 in LCD that can do this, so I can use it the long way next to my main 24in LCD in landscape. I keep reading the specs on all these monitors I see and they all say "tilt adjustments". I'm not exactly sure what that means tho, does it mean you can only tilt it a bit so as to adjust the cables underneath or that it can be tilted 90 degrees?

Any suggestions would be indeed helpful :)

tilt is just tilting the angle of the screen. you probably want to rotate the screen. Dell UltraSharp Monitors can do this. I have a Dell UltraSharp 2001FP. I have a monitor for sale, maybe you'd like to buy.

You need to look at "portrait mode" feature. The Dell 2007WFP will have this feature and one or two more. Not everything is capable.

While it's nice to have a monitor that will rotate into portrait mode (I myself work on an HP 2035 every day), what's missing from the equation is the ability to make the image portrait-oriented.

I've heard of software to do this, but when I have it's always been very environment-specific, i.e. only this monitor and that graphics card used in this operating system. So much for universal tweaks.

Am I mistaken? Windows / my graphics card don't appear to support it natively, and I have yet to find a solution that works in my exact case, much less a general solution.

While it's nice to have a monitor that will rotate into portrait mode (I myself work on an HP 2035 every day), what's missing from the equation is the ability to make the image portrait-oriented.

I've heard of software to do this, but when I have it's always been very environment-specific, i.e. only this monitor and that graphics card used in this operating system. So much for universal tweaks.

Am I mistaken? Windows / my graphics card don't appear to support it natively, and I have yet to find a solution that works in my exact case, much less a general solution.

Well I had a dell 2005FPW and I did use it for quite a while in portrait mode as my 2nd screen. Nvidia graphics cards let you rotate the image.

I use a little program called i-rotate http://www.majorgeeks.com/iRotate_d4432.html and it's the easiest solution I've found.

I have 2 monitors at home that rotate to portrait mode. One is the Gateway 2275 and the other has the Samsung 940. Neither monitor comes with a stand that allows the tilt/rotate so I purchased the Ergotron Neo-Flex LCD Stand from Staples online. The $29.99 online price is the best I could find and is even $20 cheaper than the store price.

The Gateway came with the software that allows automatic change to portrait mode as you rotate the panel. Thus the monitor has a built-in sensor to tell when it is being rotated. For Samsung you have to download the software from a third party site. Unlike Gateway the change is not automatic. You have to activate it from an icon in the startup bar. It has a neat but useless feature, unless you are a Bat, that allows you to rotate the view 180 degrees.

I do find that at 22 inches (20 inches wide) the Gateway is too large to rotate. The Samsung is just the right size. I say this about the Gateway because I find that you have to move your head up and down to read the whole page. This is mainly do to how I have the Gateway set into a hutch on my desk and have to move it out of the hutch to rotate it. This brings it much to close to me. (I know, move back and all would be fine)

Both PCs use a ATI X800 series vedio cards.

Link to stand
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...results&storeId=10001&ddkey=StaplesZipCodeAdd

I have 2 monitors at home that rotate to portrait mode. One is the Gateway 2275 and the other has the Samsung 940. Neither monitor comes with a stand that allows the tilt/rotate so I purchased the Ergotron Neo-Flex LCD Stand from Staples online. The $29.99 online price is the best I could find and is even $20 cheaper than the store price.

The Gateway came with the software that allows automatic change to portrait mode as you rotate the panel. Thus the monitor has a built-in sensor to tell when it is being rotated. For Samsung you have to download the software from a third party site. Unlike Gateway the change is not automatic. You have to activate it from an icon in the startup bar. It has a neat but useless feature, unless you are a Bat, that allows you to rotate the view 180 degrees.

I do find that at 22 inches (20 inches wide) the Gateway is too large to rotate. The Samsung is just the right size. I say this about the Gateway because I find that you have to move your head up and down to read the whole page. This is mainly do to how I have the Gateway set into a hutch on my desk and have to move it out of the hutch to rotate it. This brings it much to close to me. (I know, move back and all would be fine)

Both PCs use a ATI X800 series vedio cards.

Link to stand
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...results&storeId=10001&ddkey=StaplesZipCodeAdd

Much appreciated thank you.

Back