Which 5770 Cooler?

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
Which 5770 model do you guys recommend? The two common ones appear to be the reference one which is a full rectangular shroud covering the card that exhausts out the back but is potentially noiser with the smaller fan.

The other version is the egg shaped one that has a larger and probably quieter fan and some beefy heatpipes and fins but it doesn't look like the ram is getting cooled.

As I have a reverse airflow case (cold air comes in the back and is sucked out the front) and I've tried to set it up for positive airflow to avoid dust, I'm a bit hesitant to get one that blows out the back as it will mess up my airflow pattern, especially as I have a 140mm fan blowing air into the case right beside the videocard slot and if the videocard exhausts out the back, it will just get sucked back in right beside it.

Unfortunately, as I think I only stick to XFX for videocards (double lifetime warranty can't be beat), they don't have the Egg shaped one available for the 5770.

I chose the 5770 because I think it will be the best bang for your buck in terms of a future crossfire upgrade.

The Vapor X looks the coolest but I haven't seen any evidence it is any better at actual cooling than the other ones. Are there any reviews for it?

I'm hesitant to go with any other brand aside from XFX at the moment but we'll see how my current RMA (dying 8800GT) goes.

I had both kinds. The traditional one that blows out the back runs hotter. I would not over volt and overclock too much with that. In fact I traded mine for one with the egg shaped cooler. I currently have a Sapphire with egg cooler over volted and running at 1 Ghz on the GPU. The overclocked temperatures are still at least 5 degrees C lower than the stock temperatures on the tradition cooler. The egg cooler also runs a lot quieter, and the fan runs at around 40% under load. The only reason I would recommend the traditional cooler over the egg is if you have terrible case cooling, which doesn't appear to be a problem with you.

...especially as I have a 140mm fan blowing air into the case right beside the videocard slot and if the videocard exhausts out the back, it will just get sucked back in right beside it...

Get an XFX V2 with egg shaped cooler. Be patient, they will come back in stock.

I had both kinds. The traditional one that blows out the back runs hotter. I would not over volt and overclock too much with that. In fact I traded mine for one with the egg shaped cooler. I currently have a Sapphire with egg cooler over volted and running at 1 Ghz on the GPU. The overclocked temperatures are still at least 5 degrees C lower than the stock temperatures on the tradition cooler. The egg cooler also runs a lot quieter, and the fan runs at around 40% under load. The only reason I would recommend the traditional cooler over the egg is if you have terrible case cooling, which doesn't appear to be a problem with you.

Thanks for this helpful post. I will have to hope XFX (or some other company with decent warranty) will come out with a model for the egg shaped cooler or perhaps go for an aftermarket cooler.

I currently have an XFX 8800GT that is dying on me after two years of use and that just shows me that the Sapphire 24 months for parts and 24 months for labor is just not enough. That basically means only one year of warranty and you'll need to pay for parts yourself after that plus the fee they charge for RMA.

just a 120mm blowing over the vrm, that's all! & gpu fans @80%
otherwise nothing changed on my V1 blowers...those gigabyte & asus cards do not dissipate
much heat compared to my sapphire 5770 V1 which clocks higher & runs up to 68°C max ...

So the egg shaped XFX seems to be the best one?
Anyone see a review site that compares all the 5770's?

So the egg shaped XFX seems to be the best one?
Anyone see a review site that compares all the 5770's?

If you have good case airflow, which it appears that you do, the egg cooler will most likely perform better. All 5770s with the egg cooler are identical, the only difference between brands is the warranty and customer service. If you care about lifetime warranty (and transferable at that), XFX is your only choice for ATI cards. BFG and EVGA are nvidia only.

Looks like there is a new PCB revision XFX with reverse egg cooler now in stock at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-462-_-Product

The back of the card looks significantly stripped down over the V1 and V2 cards though, so I'm not sure I would recommend picking one up without seeing some reviews first.

That card has some serious craftsmanship in it. Looks like it has solid capacitors. Looks great. Looking forward to some reviews.

:cool:

Looks like they reversed the egg design so that it too blows out the back as well.

In my case, I think the older egg design where it blows into the case front would be better for me.

Looks like there is a new PCB revision XFX with reverse egg cooler now in stock at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-462-_-Product

The back of the card looks significantly stripped down over the V1 and V2 cards though, so I'm not sure I would recommend picking one up without seeing some reviews first.

This is a very good point because as you can see by this thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1472542

XFX cut a lot of corners on that card and it won't overclock at all. If they've trimmed down everything to cut costs on this new model 5770, that may also be a problem. I think I definetely will have to wait for a review.

This is a very good point because as you can see by this thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1472542

XFX cut a lot of corners on that card and it won't overclock at all. If they've trimmed down everything to cut costs on this new model 5770, that may also be a problem. I think I definetely will have to wait for a review.

Another thing I noticed with the new revision is that it only has 1 CrossFire bridge connector whereas the older V1 and V2 PCBs have two. This also suggests that the card has been stripped down. Hopefully we'll see some reviews of this new revision in the near future.

Which 5770 model do you guys recommend? The two common ones appear to be the reference one which is a full rectangular shroud covering the card that exhausts out the back but is potentially noiser with the smaller fan.

The other version is the egg shaped one that has a larger and probably quieter fan and some beefy heatpipes and fins but it doesn't look like the ram is getting cooled.

What if you are planning to watercool the GPU with a "GPU block" and heatsinks on the RAM, etc. Then does it matter which 5770 you get, assuming more than one product with the same specs and similar pricing?

I chose the 5770 because I think it will be the best bang for your buck in terms of a future crossfire upgrade.

I chose this card because for non-gaming, but photo editing usage, I need a decent amount of GPU power and as much video RAM as possible, and I wanted to stay under $200.

x509

Back