Which 670 to buy?

backplate backplate backplate. the backplate doesn't do anything. nothing. and the pcb color... oh my. you fashion conscious walloos

imagine if you got a GREEN PCB

Round here flat black is popular. I've know kids who take a brand new 335i and paint it flat black. Just how we roll.

Got my GB 670 yesterday (Yay for Amazon). Haven't had a chance to play around with it yet since I gotto clean up my computer + reformat a fresh Windows for no driver issue. I'm glad I got this card and I absolutely have no problem with the blue PCB, in fact I think it matches my motherboard theme color better than my previous HD6970 did. 33C idle @23% fan speed and whisper quiet. Me likey :D Can't wait to pick up a 2nd one.

Its already been released some got them from amazon and newegg. You just have to keep your eyes peeled they go instantly'..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081IFO3G

It hasn't been released yet...Amazon just has it on there, but its not officially for sale...if you check other GTX 670's that are sold out...it will say "Currently unavailable"...that means it WAS in stock, and has previously been sold...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes it has. People have them here. PM hammerforged for example.

Last edited:
Yes it has. People have them here. PM hammerforged for example.

I know it has been paper launched...there are several review sites that have them on hand....however it has not arrived at Amazon...I even confirmed it with an Amazon rep

I believe you're mistaken hammerforge for getting a 680 Top?

I migh get the MSI Power Edition model if MSI makes one.

Round here flat black is popular. I've know kids who take a brand new 335i and paint it flat black. Just how we roll.

Have you got your 670 running yet? How does it compare to your 448? Worthy upgrade?

Which 670 is the quietest?

quietest is probably the gigabyte for the ones out now.. But even reference is VERY quiet. I normally look for the non ref dual fan cards, but when I ordered my choice was ref or galaxy so I chose ref evga & its very very quiet. I am pleasntly impressed.

quietest is probably the gigabyte for the ones out now.. But even reference is VERY quiet. I normally look for the non ref dual fan cards, but when I ordered my choice was ref or galaxy so I chose ref evga & its very very quiet. I am pleasntly impressed.
the reference 670 cards do not look "VERY quiet" in some reviews and some people have complained about the rough sounding fan.

the reference 670 cards do not look "VERY quiet" in some reviews and some people have complained about the rough sounding fan.

I dont care what it looks like when were talking about what it sounds like.

I got the EVGA standard specifically & I know for sure its a shit ton quieter then my 6870 2gb was.

And from the [H] review

Fan noise is not to be worried about, on our reference video card it was not audible even at full-load overclocked.

I got the EVGA standard specifically & I know for sure its a shit ton quieter then my 6870 2gb was.

And from the [H] review

This is one area I wish [H] reviews had more in depth analysis. Some other reviewers have dba numbers and comparisons to other cards. I'm not saying the reference 670 is loud, but [H] may not be the best reference for noise.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670/27.html

Example their MSI Lightning Review:
[H] MSI 7970 Lightning
The Twin Frozr IV cooling system that debuted on this video card did not disappoint. Out-of-Box it was far quieter than the reference Radeon HD 7970

TPU review shows its 6dba louder than reference at load.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_7970_Lightning/27.html

To be fair their were mixed reviews of the noise level of the MSI Lightning 7970 from [H] forum memebers.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1688838&highlight=msi+lightning

We bought a Gigabyte GFX 670 Windforce card, and the video is great, but the audio over HDMI has been a problem since it arrived. Unigine Heaven benchmark and Skyrim both produce either audio dropouts or popping noises, depending on what bitrate and sample bit width we select. We have tried everything I can think of: changing output formats, changing drivers, underclocking the card, using less aggressive video settings Temps run about 68C, so I think that it is not a heat the problem. So we will RMA it and hope the next one is better. We do not enjoy Skyrim with broken audio.

We bought a Gigabyte GFX 670 Windforce card, and the video is great, but the audio over HDMI has been a problem since it arrived. Unigine Heaven benchmark and Skyrim both produce either audio dropouts or popping noises, depending on what bitrate and sample bit width we select. We have tried everything I can think of: changing output formats, changing drivers, underclocking the card, using less aggressive video settings Temps run about 68C, so I think that it is not a heat the problem. So we will RMA it and hope the next one is better. We do not enjoy Skyrim with broken audio.

Interesting, please give us an update when your RMA arrives. I was trying to decide between GB and Asus 670, and functional hdmi audio is a requirement.

my audio on my gigabyte 670 card works perfectly through HDMI. Must be your card or maybe your pci-e slot?

This is one area I wish [H] reviews had more in depth analysis. Some other reviewers have dba numbers and comparisons to other cards. I'm not saying the reference 670 is loud, but [H] may not be the best reference for noise.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670/27.html

Example their MSI Lightning Review:
[H] MSI 7970 Lightning

TPU review shows its 6dba louder than reference at load.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_7970_Lightning/27.html

To be fair their were mixed reviews of the noise level of the MSI Lightning 7970 from [H] forum memebers.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1688838&highlight=msi+lightning

I understand your point, but at the same time there is too much varation & the db rating doesnt necessairly mean anything.. It could be high pitched but a low db rating & you can still clearly hear it over every other fan in your case, where as it could have a higher db rating, but low pitched & its not audible as its washed out by the other fans. Ultimately I cannot hear my card over the 140mm fractal design fans in my arc midi with it on my desk at idle & if gaming with the sound muted I can hear it, but its not at all loud or obnoxious (and I am not 100% positive it is the video card I am hearing & not the coolermaster blademasters on my hyper 212 or the fan in my deasonic PSU actually kicking on as I have not had another video card this quiet in this rig).

I got myself Asus DC2 and it is very nice GPU. Ultra quiet and 70c max...

What I dont like about gtx 670 is that is not better than my 580 light 3gb in BF3 multiplay. Same minimum shit below 30fps in tanks. Avg is better offcourse but still in 1080p with 4xaa exp. is same ass 580. On the same clock 980mhz 580 us even faster..Dont know about other games didnt tested yet..

What I dont like about gtx 670 is that is not better than my 580 light 3gb in BF3 multiplay. Same minimum shit below 30fps in tanks. Avg is better offcourse but still in 1080p with 4xaa exp. is same ass 580. On the same clock 980mhz 580 us even faster..Dont know about other games didnt tested yet..

Noted.

While the 670 isn't really too much faster than the 580 anyway, but I have found from my own experience that BF3 multiplayer does run better with more than 4 cores... I tested with 4, 6 and 8 and there was an improvement in smoothness with 6 and 8 cores over a quad. These were all Sandy Bridges.

Really? That's weird, I was planning to upgrade my 580 to a 670 because of review data like this: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/9.html - showing that BF3 is around ~40% faster than on the 580 in BF3 at 1680 & 1920 (along with noise and heat improvements.)

He's running an overclocked 580 though, so that'll throw the comparison off.

Yea but so is the Asus DC2. And how much performance does an overclock get you on a vid card anyway (sincerely asking, because I've never done it before), 10% or so? 670 should still be much (or somewhat) faster.. but there are many variables here, the techpowerup review was done on an ivy overclocked to 4.7ghz, and roki's OS/games may be corrupted or something as well..

Yea but so is the Asus DC2. And how much performance does an overclock get you on a vid card anyway (sincerely asking, because I've never done it before), 10% or so? 670 should still be much (or somewhat) faster.. but there are many variables here, the techpowerup review was done on an ivy overclocked to 4.7ghz, and roki's OS/games may be corrupted or something as well..

My 580 scaled pretty linearly, so a 10% overclock was good for about 10% performance, but it does vary by game. I agree that I'm surprised he didn't see more performance - I went from an overclocked 580 to an overclocked 680 and it ws a pretty good increase in performance. Something else may be holding his performance back - he also mentions that minimum being the issue (the average is higher) so there may be some other cause.

My 580 scaled pretty linearly, so a 10% overclock was good for about 10% performance, but it does vary by game. I agree that I'm surprised he didn't see more performance - I went from an overclocked 580 to an overclocked 680 and it ws a pretty good increase in performance. Something else may be holding his performance back - he also mentions that minimum being the issue (the average is higher) so there may be some other cause.

Oh yea he did say the average was better, guess my brain decided to throw that out for some reason. nevermind then. Now just to decide between the Asus DC2 and the Gigabyte..can't go wrong with either, but I really liked how the load noise on the Asus DC2 was quieter than every other card at idle according to techpowerup's review.

unless you don't have any case fans, you won't be able to hear any of these cards at idle.

And I don't think you can even compare a GTX 670 to a GTX 580 with both overclocked, 670 easily wins by 25%+ across the board (assuming your cpu is not a bottleneck as that will throw everything off).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i bit. almost bought a 680 earlier too. Hm... looks like it won't get here till 22nd for 1 day ship or 23rd for prime 2 day..... looks like i'll have to suffer a bit more with this 6950 on 12.4... but at least it'll be on sale by next week

Last edited:
Still waiting for the asus card. I hope to see the Asus card at amazon soon. I need the quietest 670 card.

Back