Which aftermarket cooler for Evga 7900GT CO superclock?

Sparrow_69

Gawd
I know the AC VGA silencers have always been popular, but what about the Zalman VF700/900? I'm mainly looking for a quiet solution, with a bit of OC headroom. Mainly looking to reduce noise though. I do like the zalmans, but the silencers exhaust the hot air out of the case, which is always nice...

Sparrow_69 said:
I know the AC VGA silencers have always been popular, but what about the Zalman VF700/900? I'm mainly looking for a quiet solution, with a bit of OC headroom. Mainly looking to reduce noise though. I do like the zalmans, but the silencers exhaust the hot air out of the case, which is always nice...

The silencers don't fit the 7900's... Go for the vf900 when its released.

Why wait....website for A-C says that it will not have a replacement cooler for 7900gt's until June. I say order a nv5 silencer rev 3 and just cut the tip of the plastic off so it fits. zipzoomfly.com for $29.50 shipped which is way cheaper than zalman vf900 at $50 + Shipping.

I just put a vf700cu onto my 7900gt... been running rthdribl for about 15 minutes now and my load temp is peaking at 49c. Idle is around 36c.. sometimes it hits 35c and the color graph next to the temp is blank :)
untitled6oh.jpg

overall a very good improvement from already nice stock temps (60 load/ 49 idle). I'm curious to see if the vf900cu does any better

Indeed, you'll be able to use the nv silencer5 r3 on the 7900, but note that aside from the exhaust shroud, the ram will not be totally covered. The ram chips on the 7900 are farther apart than on the 7800. (although since the ram isn't covered in the first place, you have to wonder just how important cooling those parts are)

You can sorta make it out in this pic:
http://www.runslinux.net/~matt/tonus/new/pages/DSC02100.htm

Is the Zalman quieter than the silencer?
Zalman states: Speed : 1,350 ~ 2,650rpm ¡¾ 10%
- Noise Level : 18.5 ~ 28.5dB ¡¾ 10%
The AC is 0.9 sone??

96redformula said:
Why wait....website for A-C says that it will not have a replacement cooler for 7900gt's until June.

What were they thinking? The 7900GT reference design has been available and it had to be common knowledge that a 90nm card would be popular with overclockers even before they knew the low MSRP. June? They really dropped the ball at AC. At least they had the GTX covered but the GT is going to be the big seller with it's price/performance ratio.

So is the Zalman 900 the only real choice for the immediate future? I saw a review where it didn't do much better than the 700 but cost quite a bit more.

Any other choices out there?

You all are INSANE spendint $50 + shipping on a cooler. Why not get the nv5 silencer rev 3 that is on sale for $25 shipped at svc right now. Max load temps on the silencer are being reported at 49degrees also.

Will the VF700 work on the 7900GT? It doesn't mention it on Zalman's site.

I may go with the 700 if it fits. $50 is a lot for a VGA cooler and I just want a reasonably decent overclock.

Will it fit correctly without any modding?

The VF700 works great on the 7900GT series. In fact, I just got one for my new eVGA 7900GT and am planning on doing the 1.4V Vgpu mod since the 7900GT cores are designed to run at 1.4V with 7900GTX class cooling anyway (It is common belief that 7900GT chips are the ones that didn't quite make the cut for GTX speeds at 1.4V).

JayisunJ said:
The VF700 works great on the 7900GT series. In fact, I just got one for my new eVGA 7900GT and am planning on doing the 1.4V Vgpu mod since the 7900GT cores are designed to run at 1.4V with 7900GTX class cooling anyway (It is common belief that 7900GT chips are the ones that didn't quite make the cut for GTX speeds at 1.4V).

OK thanks. I have the same eVGA GT card and I'm going to do the 1.4 volt mod too and I'm hoping the VF700-cu will be enough.

is the fan that loud? Is the superclock fan louder than the other evga 7900gt's?? I would have to say NV Silencer as soon as one is available. I love the one I have on my 7800 GT CO - made a huge difference in noise.

why is no one talking about the accelero 1? yes they don't exaust the heat out the rear but that means no worrying about cutting. The only negative about the accelero 1 is the overhang on the side. Otherwise it's all Kosher

According to Artic Coolings website the Acellero's are NOT compatible with most 7900 GT's.

etruscan said:
Has anyone played with the Thermalright V1-Ultra? Is it any good at all?

yes, on my 7800GT, and the PCB layout as far as the mounting holes on the 7900's are the same, so it is transferrable, which i will do as soon as my 7900 comes in

keeps my 7800GT with a 1.5v mod at 530/1260 running under 50*c fully loaded, and those 7900GT's run much cooler

is the heatsink that makes contact with the gpu thick enough to interfere with a pci slot thats below it??

I was looking for a good replacement cooler for my evga 7900gt and i have a dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr and use both pci slots..

grayknight said:
is the heatsink that makes contact with the gpu thick enough to interfere with a pci slot thats below it??

I was looking for a good replacement cooler for my evga 7900gt and i have a dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr and use both pci slots..

here's a pic mounted in my case with the EVGA NF-41 mobo, it may or may not show you well, that wasnt the intent of this original pic, but i can take another if you like

if you dont add the 80x25mm fan i did to the underside it will only take the first slot adjacent, with the 80x25mm fan it takes two

also, if you are using a DFI board, with it's different layout, the top part can get in the way if you have a Zalman 7000 HSF as i have, a 7700 would just not work unless you cut some of the fins away, i had to bend some of them just to fit it in with my 7000 as seen here

i went ahead and took a couple new pics in my current rig so you can see

nobody_here said:
here's a pic mounted in my case, it may or may not show you well, that wasnt the intent of this original pic, but i can take another if you like

if you dont add the 80x25mm fan i did to the underside it will only take the first slot adjacent, with the 80x25mm fan it takes two

well poo i wasnt planning on puttin a fan on the underbelly of the card, but from the looks of it, the heatsink would block the pci slot, but I dont think it really matters as the top side would block the sli connector...now if only a company would make a cooler specificially for sli, i think it would sell :p

thanks for the pic nobody

grayknight said:
well poo i wasnt planning on puttin a fan on the underbelly of the card, but from the looks of it, the heatsink would block the pci slot, but I dont think it really matters as the top side would block the sli connector...now if only a company would make a cooler specificially for sli, i think it would sell :p

thanks for the pic nobody

glad to help, it really rawks, but it isn't for everybody, for someone that wants things to "just work" with nearly no effort or needs every single slot in their system, not for them :)

nobody_here said:
here's a pic mounted in my case with the EVGA NF-41 mobo, it may or may not show you well, that wasnt the intent of this original pic, but i can take another if you like

also, if you are using a DFI board, with it's different layout, the top part can get in the way if you have a Zalman 7000 HSF as i have, a 7700 would just not work unless you cut some of the fins away, i had to bend some of them just to fit it in with my 7000 as seen here

i went ahead and took a couple new pics in my current rig so you can see

naa dont have a zalman, got a thermaltake big typhoon...

ooh, maybe i was wrong..from that second pic, that slot inder the card looks usable :)

nobody_here said:
glad to help, it really rawks, but it isn't for everybody, for someone that wants things to "just work" with nearly no effort or needs every single slot in their system, not for them :)

ya, i didnt care if the thing took the slot above it...oh well....thanks again for the pics, its hard to tell visually how something big is without seeing it on a card and put an put in a case

Back