Which AMD CPU?

InfernalMachine

Limp Gawd
I'm currently running a P4 3.06 and I am switching out to a PCIE/SLI setup.

My question is, which AMD CPU would best the P4? I'm leaning towards an X2 as I do other things than just play games, but I won't lie, I use the rig for gaming 80% of the time.

Even for games I would reccomend the X2 because many newer games are written to take atvantage of dual core. Video Card drivers also take atvantage of the dual core.

Finally, I am assuming that your current computer has hyperthreading so you will probably want to maintain that zippy feel when you switch applications. So there is another reason for the X2.

you could grab an opteron right now while they are still cheap.
or wait till the price drops on the X2's and get one of those.

Yes, the P4 uses HT which was the draw to the X2. When do you think the prices will drop? I just saw the announcement on the front page; a week maybe?

A 3800+ X-2 would stomp the Intel and doesn't kill your plastic:
[font=&quot]AMD Athlon 64 X-2 3800+
Socket 939
Core: Manchester
Clock Frequency: 2000MHz (2.0GHz)
HT Speed: 2000
CMOS Technology: 90nm SOI
Voltage: 1.40V
Thermal Power: 89W
Max Temp: 71'C
L1 Cache: 128KB
L2 Cache: 512KB + 512KB
Stepping: E4
[/font]

InfernalMachine said:
Yes, the P4 uses HT which was the draw to the X2. When do you think the prices will drop? I just saw the announcement on the front page; a week maybe?

i would assume within a month or so, there should be a good price drop on the X2 line, i would expect the opterons to go up at the same time.

dtess17 said:
i would assume within a month or so, there should be a good price drop on the X2 line, i would expect the opterons to go up at the same time.

I was thinking about the X2 also, In a month should it drop below 240 like it is in the HotDeals section?

PX Vertex said:
I was thinking about the X2 also, In a month should it drop below 240 like it is in the HotDeals section?

seems to be the idea. I mean it could be longer, but i would assume somewhere in that time frame. They are also slashing prices on their 200 series opterons.

They are making some bold moves to gain even more market share from intel.

Low price is a great way to start.

Back