Which AuzenTech?

I'm in the same boat as you. I think I'm going to go with the Forte, seems like a good card for music and gaming, and the reviews have all been very good.

x-fi forte if you have pci-e slot available (out of stock atm till 10/06/09 though)

otherwise x-fi prelude for a pci slot

both have similar sound quality

if you have both kinds of slots, then i dunno. i would prefer the prelude since you don't have to have a seperate breakaway adapter cable to hook up the speakers like on the forte (which may or may not become worn down as time goes by, and possibly having to replace it if you lose it).

Last edited:
x-fi forte if you have pci-e slot available (out of stock atm till 10/06/09 though)

otherwise x-fi prelude for a pci slot

both have similar sound quality

if you have both kinds of slots, then i dunno. i would prefer the prelude since you don't have to have a seperate breakaway adapter cable to hook up the speakers like on the forte (which may or may not become worn down as time goes by, and possibly having to replace it if you lose it).

I don't know how it could be come "worn down" unless you are constantly plugging and unplugging cables from it...And in that case, I'd much rather have to replace the breakout cable than the entire sound card due to the jacks coming loose.

The Forte and Prelude are both good cards, as are the cards in the Xonar line. Does it matter what kind of slot you use? I found myself forced to use a PCI-E slot due to my existing cards blocking my PCI slots.

Last edited:
I don't know how it could be come "worn down" unless you are constantly plugging and unplugging cables from it...even then, there's not much And in that case, I'd much rather have to replace the breakout cable than the entire sound card due to the jacks coming loose.

The Forte and Prelude are both good cards, as are the cards in the Xonar line. Does it matter what kind of slot you use? I found myself forced to use a PCI-E slot due to my existing cards blocking my PCI slots.

Some boards, particularly older Nvidia boards, have some issues with PCI-e sound cards so you might want to avoid them in that situationi. Some ASUS boards as well. It's something that warrants a little research unless you're running X58/P55.

Some boards, particularly older Nvidia boards, have some issues with PCI-e sound cards so you might want to avoid them in that situationi. Some ASUS boards as well. It's something that warrants a little research unless you're running X58/P55.

Righto. LOL, I just re-read my post that you quoted and boy was it a mess (teaches me to try to post at work while on the phone and simultaneously trying to troubleshoot a database problem hahaha).

Anyway...yeah, in addition to considering the physical layout of the motherboard, you should research a bit to find out if your particular chipset has issues with PCI-E cards. I have used both the Auzen Forte and Xonar STX in my rig without so much as a hiccup, but be aware that some PCI-E cards (the Xonar line comes to mind) require an external power connector from your PSU. PCI cards do not usually require external power, but it's an aging spec and in my case I couldn't use a PCI card anyway due to my other cards blocking the slots.

I don't know how it could be come "worn down" unless you are constantly plugging and unplugging cables from it...And in that case, I'd much rather have to replace the breakout cable than the entire sound card due to the jacks coming loose.

yeah, that's what i meant, if you lose the cable it may be hard to replace. i didn't mean replace the sound card, lol. and yeah, depending on usage, it could become worn down - just depends on the user (if one happens to upgrade pc parts alot, for example). i've had cables/ adapters go bad on me over time. as far as slots go, depends what the op has available. he may have both unused or one or the other, i dunno. that's why i pointed out the difference in case it mattered.

I used the Prelude in a previous PC and now have the Forte in my current build. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in audio quality. Both cards are excellent and you really can't go wrong whichever one you choose.

MINE! LOL. I have a prelude for sale with extras. PM me. Way Cheaper than $150!

I'd just get a X-Fi Xtremegamer.
2.1 speakers? gaming?
Sounds like what you want, I've seen them for $50-60.
I can't imagine why you'd pay more...

well since it's a new build, you can use either. they sound the same, so it just comes down to which design you feel is better to use. otherwise, if you want to future-proof - go with the forte, since pci is eventually going to fade away in the near future.

Back