which card for 20" lcd monitor and rts games?

blacklotus

n00b
Hi guys,

What's the minimum card (spec) do i need to buy if i plan to use 20/21" wide screen lcd (might consider 24" from Dell to if i get enough money) monitor and play 90% of the time rts games

my comp spec right now:

AMD Athlon 3800+ Dual Core
Thermaltake case
MSI 66600GT
1GB of Corsair VS ram
17" Samsung LCD (from old Gateway computer)

Also planning to move all my components to the Silverstone Sugo.

Thanks

I'd say if you are mainly playing RTS games that you should check into a 7600GT... probably no need for anything beefier even considering the widescreen resolution given the fact that traditionally RTS games aren't too GPU intensive.

a 24" is 1920x1200 res, so you will want a decent card. I do not play rts's much myself so I do not know how graphically intense they are, you can get a used 7800gt for 220 range in the forums here lately.

umm..

RTS games are HARD on AA and AF if you plan to use it, games like Rise Of Nation's for example apply AA /af to each and every individual unit on your screen.

No AA or AF, then not as many worries,

Im playing Command and Conquer Generals right now and have everything setup to max with my 6600gt using a 17" monitor without any problems. I know you need a higher end card with the Dell 2420 because of higher resolutions and just wondering if the 7600GT can handle such resolutions. Is the 7900GT an overkill for these types of games (RTS)?

One more question, will all the games run in widescreen mode or they're graphic cards/monitor resolutions dependent? I just wanna make sure before i throw my hard earn money for the monitor. Thanks again.

A 7900GT is overkill for C&C: Generals, but probably not for future games. While I was able to play C&C: Generals w/ full settings @ 1024x768 on a Geforce 4 MX, there will be plenty of future games that will use the extra power. Rise of Legends is an excellent example, although an older card will play it just fine. For higher resolutions, however, a 7900GT would probably be ideal.

Not all games will run natively in widescreen and if not most games can be run in widescreen with a simple .ini/.cfg fix

Check out Widescreen Gaming Forum
its an excelent site and has plenty of good information realating to running games in widescreen etc.

Back