which corsair ram is better??

Faster is better generally. The timings on the dominator are also tighter. I would go Dominator.

I have a asus matx motherboard that support ddr2 800ram slots. I am not sure which one is better and i am going to overclock those memory.

1) Corsair xms2 p2-6400 4gb

2) Corsair dominator pc2-8500 4gb

thank you

May be a stupid question as I am a little green when it comes to RAM, but would you get the full benefit of PC-8500 with your MOBO? Isn't 800 mhz the fastest RAM you can use?:confused:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
May be a stupid question as I am a little green when it comes to RAM, but would you get the full benefit of PC-8500 with your MOBO? Isn't 800 mhz the fastest RAM you can use?:confused:

OP says:
I have a asus matx motherboard that support ddr2 800ram slots. I am not sure which one is better and i am going to overclock those memory.

Not if his board has OCing options.

I tried two sets of the XMS when Fry's had it for $15 AR in January, and each set contained a module wouldn't let the computer boot, and some friends of mine experienced the same.

I'd avoid anything that uses unbranded RAM chips, as about everybody but Crucial does. Did you see the great review that 2.0 volt Crucial Ballistix got last December for overclockability? In comparison, Corsair didn't do very well:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr2-ram-memory,2079-6.html

I had those Dominator 8500 DDR2 modules and they were solid as the day was long.

I ran them at spec on an X48 mainboard and they were fast and true.

I'd get the Dominators if you are going to OC.

Back