Which is better?

FiZuR

Limp Gawd
I currently have a Q6600 @ 3.8 Ghz. I have been seeing lots of people with these new 8400 processors getting over 4Ghz on air, and i have some water cooling. Which is better for gaming, an overclocked 8400 or my current quad?

I currently have a Q6600 @ 3.8 Ghz. I have been seeing lots of people with these new 8400 processors getting over 4Ghz on air, and i have some water cooling. Which is better for gaming, an overclocked 8400 or my current quad?

The E8400 @ 4GHz would be slightly faster in games, but who cares, even a Q6600 @ 3.8GHz is ridiculously fast already. :cool:

I don't know which is better for gaming, but I know that a Q6600 at 3870 MHz can use a lot of power, as I just got a bill that showed a jump of about $75 per month for hydro. I had an older B3 stepping Q6600 that I have traded for an E8400 CPU that is still new in box. I am looking forward to testing this, but want to wait until I finish setting my system up with water cooling.

I will be "testing" my E8400 to see how well it overclocks and works for gaming in general. My hope is that it will deliver equal performance in most games, but I know it will take a hit on games designed for quad core. Having said that, there are few titles taking advantage of four cores at this point anyway. The real benefit I am hoping for is a reduction in my power bill. If the E8400 has better general performance with today's games, that will just be icing on the cake...

If the E8400 can generally match the performance of the Q6600 with current generation games, my Q6600 will be set aside for the day when I really need its four cores for general performance applications. If it doesn't cut the mustard, it will go into a small media center PC at stock speeds/voltages.

thats for that bit of info, please keep us posted on your results

For gaming, the E8400 by a minimal amount.

My Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz (450*8) will edge out my E8400 @ 4 GHz (500*8) on 3dMark06, however the E8400 has a 47,000 point edge in older benchies like Aquamark.

Most games would do better with the E8400 @4ghz but realistically neither situation is likely to be CPU constrained. Going forward more games will be better multi-threaded at which point your Q6600 might do better, but in either case you would not be mis-served by a q6600 @ 3.8ghz.

Back