Which is faster athlon 64 3200+ OR intel p4 3.06

abarsami

Limp Gawd
I currently have a 2.2 p4 cpu. The cheapest thing for me now is to just get a intel p4 3.06 cpu and use that until I do an upgrade mid next year.

Or should I upgrade to a athlon 64 3200+ instead?

How much faster is it in gaming?

I looked at doom 3 specs and a 3.0 cpu did fine with a 6800 gt.

I think the 64 3200+ is faster in gaming.

I thought I saw an anadndandnadnandandadnadnandandnadnadnadnadnadnadnadnadntech CPU scaling article and the 64 was on top of almost everything.

You said P4 3.06... those are a 533MHz FSB part, so the A64 will totally blow it away in just about everything. I say go ahewad and upgrade.

Go AMD 64 but dont go yet. Too much is changing right now with 90 nm coming out and socket 939 with just to few MBs. In 2-3 months get a Socket 939 system. That will cost more then just a CPU upgrade but will carry you a bit further as well and on top of that your 2.2MHz will make a splendid secondary as fileserver and GF/Wife computer (if she's not into gaming or hardcore programming/modeling that is) [Not beeing sexistic just realistic].

Frallan said:
Go AMD 64 but dont go yet. Too much is changing right now with 90 nm coming out and socket 939 with just to few MBs. In 2-3 months get a Socket 939 system. That will cost more then just a CPU upgrade but will carry you a bit further as well and on top of that your 2.2MHz will make a splendid secondary as fileserver and GF/Wife computer (if she's not into gaming or hardcore programming/modeling that is) [Not beeing sexistic just realistic].

Yeah, I'm waiting too.
I'm going to hold off until Janurary before dropping more on a new system. All the changes should be in place by then.

Killdozer said:
Yeah, I'm waiting too.
I'm going to hold off until Janurary before dropping more on a new system. All the changes should be in place by then.

Get an NF4 with dual PCI-E. Lucky bastard.

They're right... you probably should wait to get at least a S939 A64, but the cheapest of them are currently $370 or so. They should be down to the $200 mark in a few months. However, I wouldnt wait for 90nm chips as will probably be awhile before we see them at mainstream prices, and they wont be amazing overclockers IMO.

The Athlon will be a good deal faster. The bus speed is higher and it has the integrated memory controller among other benefits.

Wait as long as you can. The upgrade you're propsing wouldnt be significant enough for the cost. Wait for a S939 and pick up the highest rated proc you can afford.

If you are more inclined to office apps and video/audio encoding or 3d, you may want to go the p4 route. Keep in mind that their latest batch of chipsets arent getting good performance reviews.

Anywho, I always suggest waiting as long as possible before upgrading. If you have the money now, invest it or something. By the time you absolutely have to upgrade, you'll have more money and be able to buy a much better upgrade.

3200+ is faster hands down
but if it were me at this point i would wait for a cheaper 939 chip
I have a 754 3000+ i got back in apr. and im kicking my self now :(

Elios said:
3200+ is faster hands down
but if it were me at this point i would wait for a cheaper 939 chip
I have a 754 3000+ i got back in apr. and im kicking my self now :(
Wait, let me get my violin.... play you a song to cry to :p

I don't know why you're kicking yourself anyway, cuz first of all you KNEW it was gonna happen LOL... and second, it's not like a A64 3000 on 939 is going to perform any better than 754. Anyone who says otherwise is just buying into the hype.

754 looks like a dead path in the next year or 2 lol and i needed soming then
i was running a Athlon 900 SLOT-A -.- and i didnt hear about the 939s till like a month later

There is always something new coming out every 6 months... nvidia nforce4, intel 1033 motherboard... etc... So, it's kinda hard. I hope amd drops prices maybe next month to counter intel price drops.

Benny Blanco said:
Wait, let me get my violin.... play you a song to cry to :p

I don't know why you're kicking yourself anyway, cuz first of all you KNEW it was gonna happen LOL... and second, it's not like a A64 3000 on 939 is going to perform any better than 754. Anyone who says otherwise is just buying into the hype.

Well, not having a decent choice of upgrades is something that sucks. But, that's wht early adopters get. As for 939 being hype? I think the benches in the extra memory bandwidth are pretty clear that it is a better choice. It's also going to be around at least another 18 months. The first dual core action is going to be on 939... though I dont imagine it will be the best solution... going to be another socket coming along after that picks up.

heh thats part of the resaon i would have like to get a 939 dual core *drool* but as you said
there will most likely be another socket then soo ill just wait it out >.> i realy need to get me a 6800GT oh well

Mutalys said:
As for 939 being hype? I think the benches in the extra memory bandwidth are pretty clear that it is a better choice. It's also going to be around at least another 18 months. The first dual core action is going to be on 939... though I dont imagine it will be the best solution... going to be another socket coming along after that picks up.
Well yea extra memory bandwidth is cool, but twice the bandwidth doesn't really translate into any performance gains from what I've seen. If you call 2% a gain, well, technically yea it's a gain, but it's like adding 5 horsepower to a 200hp car... you just cannot feel the difference... LOL

If a 939 chip hits around $200 then yes obviously it will be the hands down choice... but as long as the price is hovering around $350-400, I'll pass.

As far as dual core goes, everyone is excited about this, but I have a feeling it's going to be WAY above the means of average folk, maybe even above current FX-53 pricing. That's just my guess though.

Benny Blanco said:
Well yea extra memory bandwidth is cool, but twice the bandwidth doesn't really translate into any performance gains from what I've seen. If you call 2% a gain, well, technically yea it's a gain, but it's like adding 5 horsepower to a 200hp car... you just cannot feel the difference... LOL

If a 939 chip hits around $200 then yes obviously it will be the hands down choice... but as long as the price is hovering around $350-400, I'll pass.

As far as dual core goes, everyone is excited about this, but I have a feeling it's going to be WAY above the means of average folk, maybe even above current FX-53 pricing. That's just my guess though.

Well, I do quite a bit of digital editing, so it does make a difference for me. More than 2% I would say. But yes, on average it won't help much... it just depends on the application.

Back