Which is the best 750GB external hard drive?

balema278

n00b
I want to have firewire and USB (not interested for ethernet cause I will plug it and to Playstation 3) and to have only one hard disk inside.

I want the best and the more reliable (I don't care about the price).

Thank you in advance!

buy a 750G HD
buy an external Vantec case

Assemble, done.

the all-in one combo's really just add one touch button crap and charge more for it.

^^ thats ust alot of connections which then mean higher price, just get eSATA or USB or Firewire..

my vantec SATA one has eSATA and comes with the bracket for your computer and USB.

Thank you very much for your answers but I would like to take a ready external disk. With a little search I found out that HD of WD are better from Seagate (speed). I noticed at the site of WD the My Book PRO and the My Book Studio. Could you please tell me which is better?

Generally please tell me your thoughts for the best external disk (ready).

THX.

With a little search I found out that HD of WD are better from Seagate (speed). I noticed at the site of WD the My Book PRO and the My Book Studio. Could you please tell me which is better?

Sorry, I have no experience with any pre-made units.

Thank you very much for your answers but I would like to take a ready external disk. With a little search I found out that HD of WD are better from Seagate (speed). I noticed at the site of WD the My Book PRO and the My Book Studio. Could you please tell me which is better?

Generally please tell me your thoughts for the best external disk (ready).

THX.
IMHO there is very little difference performance wise in the premade external disk market. I would choose based on the bundle (I think you can get Retrospect with some manufacturers' products), connectivity options, warranty and possibly looks.

Reliability is a very difficult metric to measure. I doubt that any poster on this forum has statistically significant numbers to make a relevant statement about HDD reliability. Sure you'll get tons of posts like
a poster said:
omfg, <HDD manufacturer> blows, I bought <small number, usually one> of their products and it broke after <short amount of time>
but that really doesn't say anything about the intrinsic reliability of <HDD manufacturer>'s product, since you do not have any idea how `a poster' treats his drives in general of that drive in particular.

Classiest one I've seen. Buy your own drive and live happily ever after.

Awesome. Especially no power bricks!

Question: Say I get 2 identical 750 GB disks, and 2 of these cases, would I need any special software or hardware to run RAID 1 mirroring? This would go to an original EVGA 680i MOBO, of which the C drive is already RAID 0 between 2 150 GB raptors. I ask because I didn't set up my computer, I bought it from Maingear, so I don't know much about implementing raid.

I am assuming it is as simple as sending Ethernet from both drives to the computer. Is this way off?

I have over 200 gigs of lossless music (and growing fast) that I would REALLY like to have in mirrored.

I am assuming it is as simple as sending Ethernet from both drives to the computer.
These aren't ethernet units. That one connects in every way but ethernet.

I have over 200 gigs of lossless music (and growing fast) that I would REALLY like to have in mirrored.
You'd be wanting something like this.

Back