which lcd is better for gaming ?

AntiSocial

n00b
yes .. this is another one of those posts .. sorry .
so i'm looking at 4 displays at the moment :
Benq fp222w 22" - have heard nothing about it .
Asus MW221U 22" -2ms .. no ghosting ? bad colors (by the reviews)
Samsung 225BW 22" - well .. good colors, bad case of backlight bleeding and had a tad of ghosting (this is all hearsay .. been reading alot)
my 4th option is the Dell 2407WFP 24" - not sure what to say ..its big .. but so is its pricetag .. are the benefits of it greater than just the extra 2" ? would it be worth the extra $ over the asus (in a gamers pov) ?

waiting to hear some opinions .. thnx for reading

I'm not a gamer - but since your post is about to go off first page I would say take a look at these lists (check down the page for gaming section):

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1745344&enterthread=y

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Master_Monitors_List

I am partial to NEC's in general and already had my fling with the SamDellGateSonics.

I almost got this (listed under good monitors for gaming).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824002122

I got the 20WMGX2 instead and really like it but I can'y say much about gaming on it. I havent even played minesweeper.

my options are kinda limited to the displays i listed, would be nice if someone could tell me which one i should go for or at least inlighten me about their pros and cons ..
thnx anyway
still waiting for some help

Just picked up the Samsung 225BW.

No ghosting on my FPSers, still do my 180 deg pivots and rails. Even white pointer on black background doesn't ghost.

Games stretch fine, as I only have a x850xt vid card, I run in 1280x800 and the monitor put it to full size no problem, looks great.

There is a bit of bleed top and bottom as reported, only see it when it's totally black (almost never) or if you're watching a movie you'll see it on the movie black bars (extra stretch movies) but the movie is fine as it's far enough away.

Does require some calibration when you get it. It's so friggen bright your eyes burn out and the colours look washed. Just drop the brightness a ton and tweek the contrast and colours are sweet.

Stand is nice, adjustable so I can raise it (no books needed) and tuck my center speaker underneath. Base also has a flat top so it just sits there fine.

And its made in black ;)

Cheers.
T.

Since it can regularly be found for under $400 these days....I can finally recommend the Acer F-20 as a gaming monitor and a lower cost alternative to the NEC 20WMGX2. Be aware that Acer apparently has a lottery going with this monitor similar to Dell's 2007FPW....I have an S-IPS model but you may get a P-MVA panel (still much better than the S-PVA of the Dell) Either way.. it is rated at 8ms response time and features an "Crystalbrite" screen coating (similar to the NEC's "Opticlear") which really lets the colors pop off the screen with excellent saturation. The "Ferrari" theme may not be for everyone but it looks awesome in person..not cheap and tacky like some of the pics make it appear.

I also own a Dell 2007FPW (S-IPS) and while I have to admit that it is the overall better monitor (especially since it was less) I can't recommend them anymore due the possibility of getting a low quality S-PVA panel. The Acer lacks the stand adjustments and extra inputs (only DVI and VGA) as well as the 1:1 pixel mapping of the Dell but is an overall great gaming monitor imo. Honestly I have never used the Composite or S-Video on the Dell and have only used 1:1 mapping once for NFS Carbon (pc version) as I prefer the slight stretch over VGA with my Xbox 360.

Since it can regularly be found for under $400 these days....I can finally recommend the Acer F-20 as a gaming monitor and a lower cost alternative to the NEC 20WMGX2. Be aware that Acer apparently has a lottery going with this monitor similar to Dell's 2007FPW....I have an S-IPS model but you may get a P-MVA panel (still much better than the S-PVA of the Dell) Either way.. it is rated at 8ms response time and features an "Crystalbrite" screen coating (similar to the NEC's "Opticlear") which really lets the colors pop off the screen with excellent saturation. The "Ferrari" theme may not be for everyone but it looks awesome in person..not cheap and tacky like some of the pics make it appear.

I also own a Dell 2007FPW (S-IPS) and while I have to admit that it is the overall better monitor (especially since it was less) I can't recommend them anymore due the possibility of getting a low quality S-PVA panel. The Acer lacks the stand adjustments and extra inputs (only DVI and VGA) as well as the 1:1 pixel mapping of the Dell but is an overall great gaming monitor imo. Honestly I have never used the Composite or S-Video on the Dell and have only used 1:1 mapping once for NFS Carbon (pc version) as I prefer the slight stretch over VGA with my Xbox 360.

i thought that as long as it's an A02 everything is ok. How are you able to verify what type of panel you get? since it seems like everyone that reviews the dell consistently has the same panel and quality.

I have A02 as well... it's A05 that are the ones that started the 'OMG! You'll either get greatness or get screwed!' BS

thnx for your input guys !
i'm gonna go see the samsung in person, the only issue i really had with it (from reading reviews) is the backlight bleed .. not sure it would have botherd me if i wasnt aware that it shouldnt be there .. but as i am .. i think it would kinda freak me out :p
i'm gonna look around abit more to see if i can get ahold of the acer (as i said my options are kinda limited to the displays i listed)
keep posting guys .. still need some more advice to push me in the right way :)

they had another revision? i thought A02 was the latest. and they just skipped to A05? the difference being the mixed two different panels from it?

From my knowledge:

A01 of dell2007 was first revision.
a02 was second.

They fixed banding with A03.

I got a dell 2007 from a store that wasn't dell around the time of revision A04, and got... A02 :-\... but no banding surprisingly.

I'm not sure what revision they are up to now... A05? A06? A07?

that doesnt make any sense though, the A02's are the ones that fixed the banding (and why your a02 didnt have it), i havent read anything about any other revisions for it since.

perhaps.....jesus, i really just want the A02 20" dell that has gotten all the good reviews without the banding, it's like everything has to be so complicated.

so still no "get the asus(or samsung)! you wont be sorry" replys ?
i would go for the dell but i got my heart set on a 22 so .. not evan looking at any 20's

From my knowledge:

A01 of dell2007 was first revision.
a02 was second.

They fixed banding with A03.

I got a dell 2007 from a store that wasn't dell around the time of revision A04, and got... A02 :-\... but no banding surprisingly.

I'm not sure what revision they are up to now... A05? A06? A07?
What the hell are you talking about?:confused: A02 was the only revision that I'm aware of for the 2007FPW.....are you thinking of the 2407 or 3007?

thnx for your input guys !
i'm gonna go see the samsung in person, the only issue i really had with it (from reading reviews) is the backlight bleed .. not sure it would have botherd me if i wasnt aware that it shouldnt be there .. but as i am .. i think it would kinda freak me out :p
i'm gonna look around abit more to see if i can get ahold of the acer (as i said my options are kinda limited to the displays i listed)
keep posting guys .. still need some more advice to push me in the right way :)

Well they all have some bleed so you can't get away from that, it's just a question of how much. And you don't even see it unless you're displaying black at the top or bottom. So not in regular windows or most games, but in movies as you'll have the black bars and in games maybe if you have dark areas there. But that will be standard for LCD monitors at this price range so if you're going to be sorry with bleed, you're probably going to be sorry with all the monitors listed.

If the store has them on display and hooked up to a PC (instead of just running some movie or screensaver feed) then you can play around with them some. I went on a long coffee break when the place was empty and switched the PCs background to black (used Windows standard screensaver) and then using my coat to shield it from the light so I could see the bleed on different monitors. It's a great way to get someone over quickly asking if you need help too hehe. But they didn't mind as I was serious about picking one up.

I'd love to say get the Samsung you won't be sorry, but they are different and people have different tastes and I haven't tried them all so can't say which is best so it's not fair to say. I can say go for a 22'' and you won't be sorry, and I'm not sorry at all with my Samsung. Told my buddy it's on my list of best money I ever spent (along with my logitech 5.1 sound, first 3DFX monster vid card etc.). I'm using http://interfacelift.com/dl/wallpaper/01084_attraction_1680x1050.jpg as a wallpaper (you don't get the full benefit of the pic until you run it in native) and it looks like it's in 3d, freaks me out. No playing the lottery game either about what panel you actually end up with.

Luck ;)
T.

In 22", the Asus M221U is the fastest with a response time of 2 ms. It looks nice too, imo. However, color fidelity has been reviewed to be not that good.

specs arent everything, i'd want to see this lesser known brand on a review bench and see how it actually stands up against the provenly good monitors first.

Delude yourself if you want , i and many others own it ( little backlight bleed on the bottom right of the screen but not to much less than quater of a inch for me anyways) and its proven itself to be the best gaming LCD for its price atm. ( heck check the thread for it)

Delude yourself if you want , i and many others own it ( little backlight bleed on the bottom right of the screen but not to much less than quater of a inch for me anyways) and its proven itself to be the best gaming LCD for its price atm. ( heck check the thread for it)

delude "my"self? this is a monitor we're talking about here, if i cant see it with my own eyes or a well done test of it, i'm not going to buy it because you are pushy about how good you say it is, it would be a delusion to buy it just on your word without seeing it a bit in action first in comparison to other popular testbed monitors.

I agree on that spincut. But hell, how bad can this monitor be for gaming? The name says "Gamer"after all :p

cheers for all the help guys.. much aprecheated!
i would love to get my hands on the sceptre (after reading abit about it) but cant seem to find it where i live .. so its kinda "off limits" :(
i guess i'm gonna have to go with either asus or samsung ..
both have their issues, just have to drag my bum out of bed and go see them both in action ..
really disappointed about the sceptre .. i soo wanted to have "gamer" in my lcd title :p
if anyone could add a bit more about the asus and samsung that would be swell
thnx alot for all the help everyone !

dosnt anyone actually own the asus ? kinda hard finding reviews ... would be real nice to hear a first hand review of it
thnx

:) well i ended up just getting the asus .. figured the 2ms would suite me for gaming .
no dead pixels, a bit of backlight bleeding on the top and bottom ..but thats really not an issue for me ...
the big thing is .. NO GHOSTING! i mean at all .. i've been looking for it and i just cant find any sign of it!
all the problems i heard about the poor color representation on it .. well .. i cant really notice .. i guess in a "gamers eye" the screen looks awsome .. very bright and crisp .. and the colors are great (could be better but deffintly awsome).
so thnx for everyone who helped me out with this
[H]ard rocks!:)

well i get the feeling that if you havent bought a monitor in a while any "good" choice will seem good, and any of them seem like they have no ghosting (even the older sony i bought in 2003 didnt look like it had any ghosting). Heck i bet at the end of the day i'll probably like the Dell 20" if i buy it, even if it's the bad panel (although i still do care enough to get the IPS anyway).

well i sorta work in the IT department for some big engineering company (as a temp at the moment) so i got to try out my fair share of lcds ... just nothing over 20" .. tried some dells and samsungs and hp's .. they were all "ok" .. the asus just blew me away .. in every aspect of it! everything is just so... crisp! well i guess it could just be me feeling super happy about my shiney new screen but it does seem to look real good.
i've looked for ghosting and i really cant see any .. i could always see it in the lcds we use here but this monitor just seems to have none (guess i just cant notice it at 2ms).
as i said i'm not from the US so .. just got it off a dealer (ended up pretty cheap compared to the prices around here).
i would be happy to answer any other questions you have about this monitor if anyone is thinking of getting it
:cool:
i <3 asus

Antisocial, does the Asus have a HDMI port or just a VGA&DVI port ?

VGA and DVI only. The monitor i linked on the other page is really the only 22inch or even 20 or even 24 inch monitor that has a HDMI port on it ( from what i seen)

think i'll have to pick the 205bw up on my next pay check ... then i can compare the two and verify that the asus truely is T[H[E S#$T !
(i'm runing the asus and my old 19 crt at dual mode .. just loving it .. so the 205 is a just buy)

Back