Which Linux ditribution should I start with?

I want to experiment with Linux on my new extra system. My father suggested I try Fedora Core, which someone previously suggested to him. I just want an alternative to xp, any suggestions? Can anyone explain to me why this would be better than others, or which one would be better?

Your best bet would be to go to Distrowatch and read teh descriptions of the various distributions out there to see what best fills your needs and desires.

Personally, I liked the look of Ubuntu, but didn't want to install from the 'net so I downloaded Slackware instead and I've learned quite a bit.

If you really want to go alternative OS, then check out BeOS, if you can find it.

I just got my free Ubuntu CD's i ordered in the mail yesterday. I'm going to load it up on my notebook one day when i have the chance. I'm new to Linux and it looked like the best distro to start with.

i like ubuntu and its gaining support
youre always going to be able to find stuff that FC friendly

im more of a bsd guy though, had a good experience with ubuntu, real lightweight on the dl size.

1c3d0g said:
Try Xubuntu, it has XFCE instead of bloated GNOME. Or if you prefer KDE, Kubuntu. :)

I know that you listed the differences with those compared to ubuntu above. But I'm not sure what XFCE or GNOME mean ?
So Can you please explain what the differences are for these two you listed that are different than ubuntu ?

Is it the shell used ?

Forgive me but I'm new to linux/open source.

Sure, no problem. First thing you got to understand is that Linux is very modular. Because of this, you can choose whatever Desktop Environment (DE for short) you want. GNOME and KDE are the biggest and mostly used - there are others too, they're numerous to mention. But they can get slow and consume lots of RAM, in my experience especially GNOME (but that's for another thread entirely ;) ). This is not a big problem with ultra-fast PC's, but it can become a problem for slower hardware.

Looking at your sig you won't have any problems running any DE, not even Enlightenment. Just keep in mind that - if you want - you can use a lighter DE, like XFCE (most people see it as a "GNOME Light"). It's newer than GNOME and has less problems, and this is IMHO, the developers are more open-minded to hear things from the community. :)

IMO, unless your using 128MB RAM or less, or a fairly slow processor I do not think any DE is necessarily slow. I love XFCE, I liked GNOME in the past, and lately I'm renewing a passion for KDE. They all run fine for me (2.8 P4).

Running KDE with several apps running I have around 128MB worth of apps in memory. XFCE would probably do it with 20-40MB less RAM used. GNOME would be similar to KDE.

If your PC has any decent processor and 256MB+ RAM, or your totally anal, you'll run any DE just fine. Beyond that, if you run tons of apps or memory inteseive apps you'll wanth 512+. KDE/GNOME use a few hundred more MB HD storage and a little more RAM. Unless your hurting on system spec, don't worry about it.

I don't disiparage people that insist on hand compiling and tweaking everyhting on thier machines, and using the absolute least amount of resources possible. It's kinda fun to play around with linux and do that. On the other hand, if you have the power and resources to run| "bloated" KDE or GNOME then don't be afraid to use it I say!

XFCE is great. Very lightweight while still maintaining many of the same features the more bloated desktop environments use. I use it instead of KDE and Gnome on my Gentoo build, which is a powerful system, so that says a lot.

I started with Mandrake (now Mandriva), which is very easy to work with. Slackware isn't too hard. You might consider trying that. No GUI installation, but that's no big deal. Try Ubuntu, then if you like it, you can try Slackware.

Read the last three or four pages of the screenshot thread to see examples of how XFCE, KDE and Gnome can look.

Back