Which MB to choose . . . .?

dgsg

n00b
Asus P5WDX or nVidia nForce 680I? Going to be used with E6000 C2D processor.

Depends on what your looking for. I picked up the 680i for it performance, SUPPORT, features, the the easy ability to over clock and also be able upgrade to a quad core down the road. Read [Hard]ocp's and other reviews on the 680i...it's nothing but great reviews out there. Some will say there are problems with this board but many others who say that they have had no problems. Remember that this board is a little on the new side and had some bugs in the begining, but so far most things have been straightened out.

Good luck!

go w/ the 680i.. i have a evga 680i and it works great, easy to overclock.... there might be ppl that have had troubles with the 680i but there a minority and the most vocal..... go for it.. and get it from evga.. they have a great customer service....

heres the low-down..

680i is a good chipset -- but overclocking has proven to be hit or miss at higher percentages than the more proven past chipsets (965) - the evga board has great customer support obviously, and a lot of great features and it looks great--and has SLi... but it costs a fortune. They are good boards, and I highly considered one as well, hell I had it in my checkout cart. But is it really worth another 108 bucks - that should be your primary consideration.

if overclocking is your primary concern, you might want to save the money you would have invested in that evga board and toss it into the more proven 965 chipset boards - like the Gigabyte DS3. They are proven overclockers and the most stable of all the boards by the majority of their owners. It's also only 122 bucks on newegg. That's less than half the price of the evga board, and the money you saved can go into upgrading your processor or video card. In the end you would have a faster computer for the same price, and the guy that bought the evga board can brag about his heatpipes (or whatever).

Asus has a bad reputation for terrible customer service.. and their boards seem to have higher failure rates than most recently.. that's a bad situation for customers. They do make good products, and their 965 chipset boards are very good overclockers - stable as well. The only suggestion I have is a large group of overclockers have the DS3, and it is just as stable, or arguably more stable than Asus's but you get a company that stands behind the product, and has less of a failure rate... I don't really need the point in purchasing an asus board when this is considered.

Abit has their AW9-MAX - one hell of a beast. I've owned 14 abit motherboards all the way back to the Celeron 300A days, and I can say they do make fantastic products. However, all of their boards with the exception of the AW9-MAX are slightly more expensive than their proven competitors.. which makes them questionable purchases. The major drawback is 2 fold for this board however. It is insanely expensive, and because of this, attracts far less people.. meaning it's overclocking stability is questionable since there is not a large pool of owners to draw experiences from. Abit is proven to be one of the leaders in overclocking, so their namesake should be reason enough to take the plunge.. however with the board being so damn expensive you must ask yourself if you really need all the bells and whistles.

EVGA A1 board not AR revision board killer baord and no probs. cheaper than the others too. tried 4 of them for 680i asus no, abit, no, gigaB, no EVGA this one is the keeper lifetime waranty free advance replacement. even gave memebrs a revision board for free with a game. great forums too. go evga 680 telling ya hotest thing out there right now

I've had a great experience with th EVGA 680i board. DIdn't have any problems with it. Also, I'm a first time overclocker and the experience was almost effortless with the board.

Back