Which Norco case for WHS? 4220 or 4020?

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member
Considering that this will be my first Norco case... and I don't know much of anything about SAS...

should I get the Norco 4220 for $350?

or the Norco 4020 for $289?

Both currently have free shipping at New Egg.

I really don't understant the importance of their differences.

Thanks!

Well, there are major differences between the two... but lets start with these questions first:

One: How do you like your ears?

Two: Are you planning on using your motherboard headers for your drives or are you planning on buying a dedicated sata controller (if you already don't have one)?

Add another question: how comfortable are you making major mods to / replacing the center fan tray?

The 4020's fan tray is pretty easy to mod so that it is both more effective and quieter.

The 4220's fan tray is hopeless and pretty much needs to be replaced.

Im sticking with the 4020's becuase the 4220's are LOUD and cant easily be modded.

The 4020's Fan divider can easily be modded to accomodate noctuas and provide good airflow and be quiet.

is there a plance to buy a new center fan bracket so I can mod it?

would be a good link for the OP also

is there a plance to buy a new center fan bracket so I can mod it?

would be a good link for the OP also

No, you basically take the existing bracket and make it fit yourself. You could also simply just do a fan swap for more silent designed fans with similar flow rates.

One: How do you like your ears?

Two: Are you planning on using your motherboard headers for your drives or are you planning on buying a dedicated sata controller (if you already don't have one)?

My ears? come again?

Yes, I would like to use the motherboard headers along with one super micro 8-port SATA card. I can buy another SM SATA card later.

Add another question: how comfortable are you making major mods to / replacing the center fan tray?

The 4020's fan tray is pretty easy to mod so that it is both more effective and quieter.

The 4220's fan tray is hopeless and pretty much needs to be replaced.

I can do mods. They usually don't look pretty, but they are effective.

This server will be in a dedicated room so I don't care how loud it is... it just has to be effective.

My ears? come again?

Yes, I would like to use the motherboard headers along with one super micro 8-port SATA card. I can buy another SM SATA card later.

I can do mods. They usually don't look pretty, but they are effective.

This server will be in a dedicated room so I don't care how loud it is... it just has to be effective.

The 4220 is super loud, if you love your ears you will hate this case. Since you will have it in a dedicated room, then I'd suggest the 4220 (I hope you mean as in Data Center room, I can hear my 4220's from two floors down), anyways.

Go then with the 4220 and SASLP controllers from supermicro, easy and clean.

I will have a dedicated room at home. Right below my bedroom.

I really value my sleep. Maybe I should do the fan mod!

I will have to do some homework and figure out what you mean by "SASLP controllers."

4020 and Supermicro SAT2-MV8 controllers

or

4220 and Supermicro SASLP-MV8 controllers

The 4220 has multilane connectors on the backplane, whereas the 4020 and regulat SATA connectors.

The 4220 has more restricted airflow through the faceplate, whereas the 4020 is more porous. This is probably why the 4220 is louder. Some have commented that the 4220 hot swap trays are better designed.

Thanks.

Either case should work fine with SATA drives, right? No SAS in my budget!

I dunno if it's just me, but my drives in the 4020 get extremely hot. Hottest drive is currently at 47C. Compared to the Supermicro 846TQ that I was using last week, it's way worse (though then again, you can't compare the Supermicro to the Norco).

If the 4220 had been available at the time I put together my media server/HTPC, I would've bought it over the 4020. Even though the fan assembly looks (and probably is) worse from a cooling perspective, the SFF8087 connectors would've been a godsend. It's the difference between dealing with 5 + (1 in 4 [reverse breakout]) +2 cables rather than, effectively, 22 single ones to fully populate the chassis. Two Supermicro cards and six motherboard ports (one reverse breakout cable) and you're good to go. The elimination of all that cable clutter must be fantastic. Plus, I understand they redesigned the drive trays to make them much sturdier and easier to slide in and out.

Still wish they'd put a second USB port on the front and get rid of those atrocious membrane buttons, but those are personal pet peeves.

i agree.... i have my 4020 and would love to have the SAS connectors on the backplane...

since i havent used the 4220 i dont know of the trays... but my 4020 trays dont slide well.... not terrible, but my Icydock old trays slid much better

I dunno if it's just me, but my drives in the 4020 get extremely hot. Hottest drive is currently at 47C. Compared to the Supermicro 846TQ that I was using last week, it's way worse (though then again, you can't compare the Supermicro to the Norco).

With the supermicro, you have to open it and see if it included a pair of 747 turbines.

Norco seemed to have shipped a lot of their units with different fan models, which some got loud, some quiet, some efficient, some poor.

I just recently got my Norco 4220 set up and yeah it is loud. The loudness isn't as much of an issue as that damned high pitched whine. I have a spare bedroom which I put the server in and have it suspended most of the time since I am still transitioning everything over from my HP Mediasmart server. I find I end up having to close the door to that bedroom or I can hear it over the TV several rooms away. I may need to reevaluate what to do with it if I end up running it more often than not.

my 4020 is similar... i can hear the high pitch whine of the 80mm fans in the master which is around 80ft away from the spare bedroom and around 2 corners. durring the day i dont hear it much since there is more ambient noise, but at night it is annoying.

I bought a 120mm fan bracket from a fellow [H]ard member for $50 and bought 3 120mm high speed yate-loons to run at 7v (if i can or 12v if needed) along with 2 80mm yate-loons from jab-tech.

They will all be here later this week and hopefully with a 3 day weekend i can take the server down for some time.

with my z-wave lighting, movies, TV recordings and remote access all on my WHS.... down time is becoming a thing of the past...

its been on 24/7 for 30days now without a restart :)

i am even looking into a ATX size 2x redundant PSU for it, since the backplane has double molex power ports also...

okay

I decided to get the 4220 based upon your experiences. Thanks!

Newegg has a special 10% off deal with Bing right now. Get it while you can!

$350 minus 10% --- savings of $35 for me!

I purchased the 4220.

Is he selling modified brackets? I want one! I can't metalwork worth a damn.

Yes $40 and the bracket looks pretty good. I'm great with metal and wood but I am lacking the proper tools and work area :( Every time I want to mod I think "damn, I don't want to spend $120 on a new router for a $10 bracket" and then I end up skipping it... rinse and repeat. The last project I needed a MIG welder, but I skipped that too... and guess what, now the latest project I need one again, sigh.

I just sent him a PM to see if he has any left. I also asked about recommending a fan, but I see where he already stated which one he's using in this thread. Oops. ;)

I'm debating whether or not to keep the 4020 or convert to the 4220. Reducing the cable clutter just gets more and more appealing, which would also help a little with airflow. How much do you think I could get for a used 4020?

Newegg has a special 10% off deal with Bing right now. Get it while you can!

$350 minus 10% --- savings of $35 for me!

I purchased the 4220.
You see 10%? I only see 3%. If it was 10%, I'd probably go ahead and order a 4220 since it also comes with free shipping.

i bought one of the fan brackets also, ill post pics after the 3 day of the new bracket and yate-loons....

looking forward to it, that and my vent for my AV closet

If noise isn't a concern for you then I would definitely say go for it. Overall I am happy with the case. I am just hoping I can bring the noise down.

The only things I wish the case did differently was offer one 3.5 tray/cage for OS instead of only 2 2.5 trays. They should have included at least a basic instruction sheet since you have no real way to know if you get everything you should. For example I have a ton of screws I didn't need and had to scavenge mobo screws from an older PC. I had plenty of posts but only 4 actual mounting screws. Also none of their screws actually fit the 2.5 drive I used so I had to improvise there also.

Back