which of these 2 PS would u choose

I gotta go with the Corsair. Has gotten too many recommendations, and is 41A vs 37 on 12V rail. But don't take my word for it:)

they're practically the same unit.

Corsair outsources all their power supplies to Seasonic. I bet if you were to rip the two apart side by side you'd see a very similar layout and many of the same components (if not all :S).

edit: no there not, my bad. The VX line is built by Channel well.

the 550 is going to push out some higher ripple at its rated load. That said, the Seasonic has a lower load rating, so at the same 12V output you can bet the seasonic would either fail or put out very similar ripple. Don't be scared by this, as youd have to be running some serious hardware under some serious stress to pull out 40A on the 12V rails, and these "higher ripples" are still less than 120mV (the ATX spec).

I'd also wager the sea sonic is quieter, and maybe a touch more efficient. But this is just judging from past reviews, I've got no numbers of these two head to head.

They're very comparable units and you cant go wrong either way. I'd probably buy the seaonic just to spite this whole corsair PSU fad.

edit: no there not, my bad. The VX line is built by Channel well.

Actually, the 550VX is made by CWT. The 450VX is made by Seasonic. Both HX power supplies were made by Seasonic. The 750TX is made by CWT with the 650TX being made by Seasonic, I think.

Anyway, I recommend the Corsair 550VX. Offers more power (41A on the +12V rail versus 34A for the Seasonic) and, from what I've read so far so take the following with a grain of salt, Corsair support is easier to deal with than Seasonic support.

so which one would put out "cleaner power" or maybe more consistant power is the term, like for overclocking stability ?

maybe i will just flip a coin LOL

so which one would put out "cleaner power" or maybe more consistant power is the term, like for overclocking stability ?

maybe i will just flip a coin LOL

Both. They're both superbly made PSUs. Ripple is pretty damn low with these PSUs.

i currently run a 510ATX PC power and cooling unit in my signature system, really like it, so i found this PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 , not sure if this is made by PC power or a rebranded unit, worth looking into ?

The Silencer 610 is also made by Seasonic. It's a good unit but the one thing I don't like about it is that it's rated at 40C whereas the Corsair power supplies are rated at 50C. This is important because as temperatures increase in a power supply, the lower amount of power it can provide. So while the Silence can provide up to 610W of power at 40C, a Corsair 550VX can still provide 550W of power at 50C, whereas the Silencer might provide even less than 610W at that temperature.

The Silencer 610 is also made by Seasonic. It's a good unit but the one thing I don't like about it is that it's rated at 40C whereas the Corsair power supplies are rated at 50C. This is important because as temperatures increase in a power supply, the lower amount of power it can provide. So while the Silence can provide up to 610W of power at 40C, a Corsair 550VX can still provide 550W of power at 50C, whereas the Silencer might provide even less than 610W at that temperature.

ah, i wondered if seasonic or someone else made it.

so i am leaning towards the corsair for the single rail and the lowest price assuming i receive the rebate, any other advice peeps ?

The Seasonic will probably have a smaller amount of ripple, but we're talking a very small difference compared to the Corsair. Both of these PSU's are solid, so I would go for the Corsair because it has a rebate going on it right now (if you dont mind dealing with rebates).

I'd go with the corsair. From what I've heard, corsair is incredibly dependable and makes good PSUs

i went with the corsair because of the better price and single 12 volt rail, thanks for all the advice everyone.

uuhhh PC power and Cooling builds their own units, as I recall, as well as all of OCZs units.

uuhhh PC power and Cooling builds their own units, as I recall, as well as all of OCZs units.

Silencer 610 is made by Seasonic or at the very least uses a ton of Seasonic parts:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27428&postcount=6
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ling-silencer-610w-power-supply-review-4.html

Same for the Silencer 750 Quad:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM2OSwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
Instead of having what looked like a number of smaller power supplies in one housing the Seasonic-built Silencer is a single transformer design cooled by an 80mm fan and a pair of massive heatsinks

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=63
We see a very clean Seasonic built layout with the kind of heatsinks appropriate for cross-flow cooling.

So no, PC Power and Cooling don't make all their own units. Maybe a few were but the more popular PC P&C PSUs are made by Seasonic

PC Power & Cooling doesn't "Make" anything.

Win-Tact (spelling?) makes the Turbo-Cool series, which is still rated at 50C.

Seasonic makes the silencer series, which is rated at 40C, and actually not all that quiet.

OCZ Power Supplies are made from a variety of vendors, FSP, Topower, etc.

OCZ owns PC Power & Cooling, but seemingly all that's changed since that purchase is that PC Power & Cooling is now available internationally and at more places in the US due to OCZ's greater distribution channels.

Back