Which one of these 2 processors is a better buy?

kd5ywa

Weaksauce
I'm going to part out my Q6600 system and for a minimal to no cost difference I'm thinking about buying a midrange AMD system. I've never gotten great clocks on my Q6600 and I'd like to upgrade to SSD, Windows 7, and I just bought a new case so I'm thinking of going this route until I can see what the new AMD and Intel architectures bring and the MBs mature a bit for them. I've had the upgrade bug for many months now and it's gotten to the point I can't say no, even though I will be upgrading again sometime next year. OK, here's my question:

$95AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE AM2+ 125w
or
$120AMD Phenom II X4 925 AM3 95w

Which CPU is a better OCer? How cooler, if any, would the 95w CPU be? The AM2+ CPU has 3600Mhz Hypertransport speed compared to 4000Mhz speed on the AM3, is there any benefit to that? Is there really any reason to pay $25 more for the AM3 CPU? Thanks for the help.

Neither are worth it since you're paying for a CPU and MB that pretty much matches your current system. Your current 775 MB and the AM3 AMD MB will both be obsolete next year. Save the money, buy next year.

Neither are worth it since you're paying for a CPU and MB that pretty much matches your current system. Your current 775 MB and the AM3 AMD MB will both be obsolete next year. Save the money, buy next year.

Depends on how high his Q6600 clocks. We need more info. You may well be better off finding a good deal on a good lga 775 mobo and trying to OC that Q6600 further.

The AM3 cpu will likely clock higher since it is a newer stepping, as long as your motherboard is good and can handle running a decent HT bus speed. DDR3 capability is nice too. *shrugs* depends on if you want to also upgrade your ram. Also consider an unlockable 545, 550BE, or 555BE for way cheaper.

Want to try answering the question or is being a shitbird too hard to resist?

$95 AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE AM2+ is better. Keep your RAM and easier to overclock with a budget MB, and call me what you want but you will be laughed at if you follow through.

$95 AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE AM2+ is better. Keep your RAM and easier to overclock with a budget MB, and call me what you want but you will be laughed at if you follow through.

Laughing that I get to play with new computer parts 3-12 months earlier than not upgrading until the new architectures, all while getting rid of my upgrade itch and not losing money like I would going with an I5/I7? Not my idea of funny but w/e, glad to make the world a happier place.

My Q6600 is currently running at 3.2 ghz with a 1.49 vcore, I'm not going to buy a new MB for it considering the decent ones are extremely overpriced. I refuse to use the EVGA 750i MBs B stock that are real cheap, I've had enough problems with the NVidia chipsets to last a lifetime.

Laughing that I get to play with new computer parts 3-12 months earlier than not upgrading until the new architectures, all while getting rid of my upgrade itch and not losing money like I would going with an I5/I7? Not my idea of funny but w/e, glad to make the world a happier place.

My Q6600 is currently running at 3.2 ghz with a 1.49 vcore, I'm not going to buy a new MB for it considering the decent ones are extremely overpriced. I refuse to use the EVGA 750i MBs B stock that are real cheap, I've had enough problems with the NVidia chipsets to last a lifetime.

Noooo, let's say you get one of those two processors, a new AM3 MB for 50$, and overclock it to 4.0ghz. It will be 20% faster than your current system. Deneb is slower than Q6600 clock for clock.

Say your current CPU + MB is worth 200$ (nothing else is changed). You are paying 150$ or 75% the value of your CPU+MB combo to switch to another CPU+MB combo that is 20% faster.

More likely, you will only get 3.6ghz with stock cooling. That's a 10% improvement.

I'm got going say another word, it's your money.

3.6 was easy to get on my old 940 - 3.8 difficult to stabilize but I got it in the end :cool: so you should be seeing a small gain over the Q6600 at least in this regard.

I say go for it man, half of the reason to own a high-end rig is the fun of upgrading and maintaining it in my opinion. You don't need to justify it for any other reason and I don't see why anyone would be such a dick about it :rolleyes: go with the 940, keep your ram and see if you can find a cheap 790FX board. Actually, I found a couple open-boxers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131363R&cm_re=790fx-_-13-131-363R-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130223R&cm_re=790fx-_-13-130-223R-_-Product

Back