Which PCIe slot for video card?

FroggyTaco

n00b
Ok I am looking to get a Dfi nf4-D Board and I want to put a swiftech mcx-159 HSF on the chipset. I know that I will not be able to put my x800pro in the top x16 slot. I want to make sure that I can use the bottom x16 slot for my video card without any problems! Can anybody confirm this?

Yup, you can use the bottom PCIE x16 slot for your video card just fine. Just remember to set the six jumper blocks between the x16 slots to pins 2 and 3. That'll give each x16 slot 8 lanes; otherwise, the bottom x16 slot gets only 2 lanes of bandwidth, and video card performance will take a nose dive.

In benchmarks the second x16 slot is slightly slower then the top. I dont know why you would waste the money on a new chipset cooler though because other then noise reduction (if the NF4 chipset fan is really that loud for you) its not going to do anything for you. It wont increase your overclock or anything. The NF4 chipset has to get very hot before it starts to become unstable and most people dont even need to up the voltage to the chipset at all to get their max overclock.

Back