Which provider has the best coverage?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I am unfortunately going to be switching from Sprint soon as my wifes phone and mine have 0 to 1 bar in our house and bad reception other places around the area. I have switched numerous phones and the same thing.

We have the unlimited everything for both our phones for $160/m total.

Which cell phone provider has the best coverage? ATT or Verizon? We are in the suburbs of PA (Warminster).

Depends, typicaly it will be verizon, but in my area it is att.

You are better off looking at the maps our asking around.

Last edited:
Usually Verizon, but they suck if you want to use your phone outside the US(Either they don't have good coverage or were way too expensive, I forget which). But I would check the coverage maps.

If you want to go AT&T, you might as well sign up for straight talk.

Last edited:
I'm from the PA area as well and it seems like Verizon has the better footing. But honestly, with the new plans they have and the lack of international support (if this concerns you) I would look into straight talk. ATT isn't bad but it seems like we're a Verizon heavy state, atleast on the western side.

There is not many places I cant get service with Verizon. Even out in the middle of nowhere on a hunting trip

Verizon has been best for me, but their coverage map is an outright fucking lie sometimes.

Before I bought my SGS III, I checked 4G coverage and it says in my home it should be "Good" signal (4 bars or so). I get the phone, and I get like 2-3 bars of 3G only. I call them up for a different issue and they mention that I'm "barely on the edge" of 4G coverage. Okay, well, your coverage map has me completely surrounded for a mile in every direction by "Good" (not mediocre) 4G coverage.

Little pissed about that, but I can just use wifi at home. If I drive about a quarter mile East I get 4G with almost full bars. Of course, that's out of town in the middle of a highway... :rolleyes:

/rant

Going to suck not having unlimited data anymore.

Only if you use a zillion MB of data and refuse to use WiFi while you're home- for most folks including myself, it hasn't been a problem at all. Between three smart phones and a tablet, we burn up about 3-4GB/mo out of our 6GB plan. I think for most the intrinsic value of 'unlimited' is overblown, and for those that "need" unlimited because they're tethering to play xbox live, downloading torrents, etc.... it's only a matter of time before VZW sends out termination letters like Sprint does.

Before I bought my SGS III, I checked 4G coverage and it says in my home it should be "Good" signal (4 bars or so). I get the phone, and I get like 2-3 bars of 3G only.

I had the same problem- the problem wasn't the phone, it was the SIM bizarrely enough. I could force my phone onto LTE with the phone info app, but the reported signal was -120db 99asu, so when given the choice it would revert to 3G. I got a new SIM- problem solved- Full bars of LTE. It makes me wonder if all the problems I had with the Nexus were all because of a bad SIM.

I had the same issue. I called and told them I was considering switching, they sent me an Airave mobile cell tower for free and waived the monthly charge. Hook it up to your home internet, full bars at home. You can also restrict it to your numbers if you choose, otherwise anyone within range with a Sprint phone will get boosted. It also provides 3G. Outside I get terrible speeds, Inside I get around 2Kbps.

Depends, typicaly it will be verizon, but in my area it is att.

You are better off looking at the maps our asking around.

I have Sprint and have had them for a long time, and have been with other carriers too. I have always checked coverage maps to make sure I get service before I switch to another carrier and the maps I have found aren't reliable either. I could be on there and see that I am in a green zone (good service) and then when I would use it there (specifically in my home) I would have crap service.

I have Sprint and have had them for a long time, and have been with other carriers too.

At least with Sprint you'll roam onto Verizon's network, so for voice you should be fine. Data speeds on the other hand...

I had the same problem- the problem wasn't the phone, it was the SIM bizarrely enough. I could force my phone onto LTE with the phone info app, but the reported signal was -120db 99asu, so when given the choice it would revert to 3G. I got a new SIM- problem solved- Full bars of LTE. It makes me wonder if all the problems I had with the Nexus were all because of a bad SIM.

Huh....did you have to go buy a new SIM or did they give you one because it was defective? How do you prove that you should be getting 4G coverage?

Huh....did you have to go buy a new SIM or did they give you one because it was defective? How do you prove that you should be getting 4G coverage?

They gave me a new one for free at the VZW store- took only a few mins. It's pretty easy to see that you're missing out on LTE when every Verizon device around you is showing a strong LTE signal- this was my proof.

Try downloading Phone Info and forcing your phone into LTE only mode- for me at least the LTE lit up and I could pull around 10Mb/sec on speedtest- this was also an indicator that something was messed up since LTE was obviously working just fine.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

I don't know anyone else around me that has a 4G device, so I can't really compare. :(

For the NY/NJ/PA area, I'd say Verizon. However, I don't think they have good coverage in the areas of bumfuck PA

We went to the Verizon store and the guys there were very rude and pushy.

They made fun of our windows 7 and her palm pixie she loves. Not how you should treat a customer. Verizon lost 2 potential clients today.

Maybe you just got a jerk rep? I'd go back and buy something from another rep at the same store just to rub it in their face, lol.

Maybe you just got a jerk rep? I'd go back and buy something from another rep at the same store just to rub it in their face, lol.

Amazon Wireless

The prices are probably better too

They made fun of our windows 7 and her palm pixie she loves. Not how you should treat a customer. Verizon lost 2 potential clients today.

I'm sorry you had that experience, when I worked in retail iw ould be fired on the spot if i treated anyone like that. I would suggest going to a different Verizon store. As many people have said already, in your area Verizon seems to be the better choice.

They gave me a new one for free at the VZW store- took only a few mins. It's pretty easy to see that you're missing out on LTE when every Verizon device around you is showing a strong LTE signal- this was my proof.

Try downloading Phone Info and forcing your phone into LTE only mode- for me at least the LTE lit up and I could pull around 10Mb/sec on speedtest- this was also an indicator that something was messed up since LTE was obviously working just fine.

Tried it, LTE couldn't find a signal at all. :(

Their coverage map is just total BS, I guess.

I've had t mobile years ago and the service was horrendous, Verizon gets signal just about everywhere for me. Clear sky in my town was barely functioning for t mobile, in doors was nearly a guaranteed no go. This was years ago, though.

Verizon 3g went down the shitter recently though but the 4g is fast as shit. I clocked about 33/7 last night.

cell coverage is specific to the area. mostly due to agreements and that dang FCC. Though I have worked for several cell companies, verizon seems to have the most consistant coverage with less dropped calls. ( disclaimer: I work for verizon)

They made fun of our windows 7 and her palm pixie she loves. Not how you should treat a customer. Verizon lost 2 potential clients today..

what store was that at? and what were the reps names? I apologise on behalf of verizon for those reps. I loved my HTC trophy and cant wait for some newer windows 8 phones. We sold the palm pixi so there is no reason to put down that phone. part of the VZW CREDO:
We focus outward on the customer, not inward. We make it easy for customers to do business with us, by listening, anticipating and responding to their needs.

We know our products and can explain them to customers. We focus on fundamental execution. We are accountable and we follow through with a sense of urgency. We know that having the highest ethical standards is a competitive advantage.

Last edited:
Verizon's your best bet most of the time. Take it from someone who switched from Verizon to ATT and is still annoyed/regretting it.

I would highly suggest giving Verizon another shot (although, perhaps with a different rep/store). If I could afford Verizon, I would already be on it. However, I think Sprint may have a card up their sleeve with their LTE service (I have Sprint) and the opening up of the entire band of the Nextel network. If Sprint continues to push out LTE in a timely manner, and keeps unlimited data, I will be very impressed. If Verizon had unlimited data, I would have already switched. It was unbelieveable how quickly Verizon rolled out their LTE service. However, if Sprint makes good on their push it might be great b/c what i've heard so far is that Sprint's LTE is fast as hell.

Back