Which PS? Antec True430 or Antec SL450

Scheizekopf

[H]ard|Gawd
Like the title says. . . Which power supply? Antec True430 or Antec SL450?

Antec True430 - $69 @ Newegg

Antec SL450 - $68 @ Newegg

What are the real differences? Which one is better?

or

Is there any better power supply than these for $60 - $70 range?

Thanks for all the replies and opinions.

I love my True430. Nice, quiet, doesn't seem to fluctuate much.

There's better PSUs out there (PCP&C), but I stuck with Antec because I've never had a problem with their gear.

The SL doesn't have 3 independent outputs, it uses a shared 3.3+5v and also is only rated for +/- 5% regulation, not 3% like the Truepower. Stick with the TP line

Okay thanks everybody.

I think i'm going to go with the True Power 430.

Is there anywhere i can get it for less than $69 ($81 after tax & Shipping)???

i tossed my Truepower 380 into my ultra cheap 850mhz PCChips PC because thats all i feel it merits. moves no extra air so it radiates a lot of extra heat.

i bought a super flower 450watt PSU for $55. uses a 140mm fan that moves about 50CFM silently. the LEDs are a bit obnoxious for my tastes though. it gives much better voltage than my truepower ever did. i've only had it for 2 weeks now though,but so far so good.

it also has POTs to adjust the rail voltages incase it dips too low from high loads.

CzarDestructo said:
i tossed my Truepower 380 into my ultra cheap 850mhz PCChips PC because thats all i feel it merits. moves no extra air so it radiates a lot of extra heat.
Umm...?

TruePowers always run at least slowly no matter what temp is, to keep self-heated air moving out the back. And if their intake air gets warm, they'll speed up.

If you seriously think the Super Flower will do better than the Antec, you need to get your head checked. (Note: I'm not saying it's a bad unit, I'm accusing you of faulty logic.) If the thing's running quietly, even with a 140mm fan, it's not going to be moving much air at all—and definitely not 50cfm.

I'm aware of how it works, it doesn't move any extra air,only what it needs to keep from overheating. so its alway running hot and radiating heat. also the model i got with my Sonata doesn't have a second fan so the whole top of my case got VERY hot.

my voltages on the superflower are marginally better than the Antec,but thats because the antec did fine anyhow,its just the airflow issue i didn't care for.

and yes, the 140mm fan moves 50CFM silently. its a huge fan that has 11 blades,it moves a lot of air and it does so silently(i guestimate it at 30dB when the PSU is in max cooling mode). if you don't believe the specs check the Globe fan website or buy a cheap 350watt model for $30.

Also, you should never consider the power supply as an exhaust fan for your case. Don't rely on it do lower case temps. The fans inside it are only designed and intended to cool the PSU itself.

i'm aware, but why not? :)

my SP-97 just about touches the PSU, and when it was just a hot metal surface(truepower) the air from one side of the heatsink had no where to go and it just created a really hot spot in my case. now the super flower gets rid of that pocket and cools the rest of my case too :D

CzarDestructo said:
I'm aware of how it works, it doesn't move any extra air,only what it needs to keep from overheating. so its alway running hot and radiating heat. also the model i got with my Sonata doesn't have a second fan so the whole top of my case got VERY hot.

my voltages on the superflower are marginally better than the Antec,but thats because the antec did fine anyhow,its just the airflow issue i didn't care for.

and yes, the 140mm fan moves 50CFM silently. its a huge fan that has 11 blades,it moves a lot of air and it does so silently(i guestimate it at 30dB when the PSU is in max cooling mode). if you don't believe the specs check the Globe fan website or buy a cheap 350watt model for $30.
I can understand his disappointment with the TP380S model, the "S" stands for "single fan" and might actually be the reason his psu runs warmer than usual. You could probably rig a second 80mm fan to help alleviate the psu temps but many people aren't inclined to do so (understandably i guess)

Destructo, did you buy that psu when it was on sale for $18.99 at directron? Now that was one hot price for that nice psu...\

Edit: here's a TP380S for sale if anyone is curious: http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/Antec_True380S.html?id=zkvooazm cheap too.

na,i got it a little awhile ago for $32, and another 450watt version for $55. so far i'm loving them. i already cracked open my 450 to adjust the rails since my system has a high load on the 12V :)

Back