Which Quad Processor for Power Hungry VM's?

OasisMike

n00b
I'm having to go quad instead of six core

I'm stuck deciding between lga 1155 and lga 2011
lga 1155 boards that support registered ECC that aren't over $150, and have someplace to plug in a couple of NIC's and a storage controller?

everything used seems to be treated as a commodity, instead of junk (that belongs to me)
it's depressing that old proc's are selling for so much

if I get lga 1155 I'd get a 3Ghz chip with low power requirements, but one open box only supported really expensive memory, and it wasn't clear it would even work with 8GB sticks

If I go with lga 2011 I get better memory support, better PCI support, but the same quad core for the money will only be 1.9 Ghz, instead of 3.2 (but I can get a better proc later on)

what do you think?

the "power hungry" servers will be 2008r2 with SQL 2008/2012 and SharePoint - even tho I'll only be able to afford 24GB of memory at first.

Thanks again!

home lab, sorry, though I'd like them to not stop and stare at me everytime I push them to do something - hahaha

I need to build out a fake enterprise for SharePoint, to update my skill-set and gain specific experience performing database migrations and upgrades, custom web development (sort of, more like cut&pasting of code snippets in my case), and gain experience in configuring the service applications.

A/D Domain Controller
SQL 2008
SharePoint 2010
1 or 2 SharePoint Application Servers

Last edited:
I have a 2U dual quad opteron 8347 HE w/ 24GB of ram and 4 HDD slots that I'm getting ready to sell for cheap (Has built in LSI Controller as well). It would easily be able to handle those VMs. I had this box up and running with SQL 2008 R2, AD, FileServer, Forefront TMG, Web server, Ubuntu, W7 VM at the same time with no issues. It had at least 6 months of uptime before I upgraded it.

I have a 2U dual quad opteron 8347 HE w/ 24GB of ram and 4 HDD slots that I'm getting ready to sell for cheap (Has built in LSI Controller as well). It would easily be able to handle those VMs. I had this box up and running with SQL 2008 R2, AD, FileServer, Forefront TMG, Web server, Ubuntu, W7 VM at the same time with no issues. It had at least 6 months of uptime before I upgraded it.

That's very kind, and thats' exactly the kind of box and deal birds of a feather should offer when someone's in need...I thank you, but I have to face my aversion to anything lower than 2.4 Ghz per thread, and hope that I'll be happy with an E3-1230 V2 (with no hope of upgrades, but at least used boards can be found for roughly the savings of the exorbidant ECC Unbuffered memory they use.

In fact that's the only unsettled question at this point - trying to figure out which 8GB sticks will work in the LGA 1155 server boards that don't cost a lot, like the ASUS S5510 - I'll figure out my search terms eventually to find what i'm looking for ($150 bucks a stick is way pricey IMO, not that I know anything anymore).

Ah forget a quad, go with a hexa 3930K -- comparable to an Extreme but like $400-500 cheaper, and has a lot of Lx Cache

I have a 3930K and it bulldozes so well for VMware, Photoshop, Lightroom, and encoding it almost rips time-space continuum.

I just bought 2 8gb ecc non-reg sticks for $78/ea shipped on sunday, so the prices are coming down.

I appreciate this forums resources. This and other threads have really helped my thinking.

I can see now what my real requirement is goes beyond just the VM's i need to run, so this box can just be a good host, even if it can't be upgraded it'll still be usable.

$244 Xeon E3-1230 V2...............4-core 3.2 Ghz
$119 Intel S1200BTS .................LGA 1155 entry-level server board
$124 Kingston 16GB...................ECC Unbuffered, 2x8GB, 1066 speed, CL7
$525 total

After three weeks of hoping to borrow, hoping for someone to post a six-core on ebay for cheap, and really updating my understanding of what's available and the Intel and AMD offerings under the hood and part numbers etc....I'll finally be able to run SharePoint at home. year and a half out of work, I always thought I'd just be able to study, but my ADHD (which i didn't know about until recently) precluded that reading, and this hands-on will be just like when I had a bunch of servers - I can't wait.

Thanks guys, for helping me to remember just one box does not make a system.

EDIT: ...or, that one ESXi box will not let me learn vSphere.

Last edited:
I appreciate this forums resources. This and other threads have really helped my thinking.

I can see now what my real requirement is goes beyond just the VM's i need to run, so this box can just be a good host, even if it can't be upgraded it'll still be usable.

$244 Xeon E3-1230 V2...............4-core 3.2 Ghz
$119 Intel S1200BTS .................LGA 1155 entry-level server board
$124 Kingston 16GB...................ECC Unbuffered, 2x8GB, 1066 speed, CL7
$525 total

After three weeks of hoping to borrow, hoping for someone to post a six-core on ebay for cheap, and really updating my understanding of what's available and the Intel and AMD offerings under the hood and part numbers etc....I'll finally be able to run SharePoint at home. year and a half out of work, I always thought I'd just be able to study, but my ADHD (which i didn't know about until recently) precluded that reading, and this hands-on will be just like when I had a bunch of servers - I can't wait.

Thanks guys, for helping me to remember just one box does not make a system.

EDIT: ...or, that one ESXi box will not let me learn vSphere.

Ditch the intel board, and go with a Super micro board, maybe a little bit more $$ BUT WORTH EVERY BIT in the end, TRUST ME AND ALL OF US!

I agree with Dash on this point, I love my Supermicro board, having IPMI on it alone saves from having drag out a burner, hooking up monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Back