Which radiator should I get?

tatm Mrk.RIVE

Limp Gawd
OKAY My build I hesitated to post about because I got banned from overclockers for trolling about my toaster haswell build... This is equally as nuts...

I am getting a 55gallon barrel cut most of the top lid part off and replace it with a very thivck plexi or some sort of clear plastic top, cut out some of the middle to make it reasonable
seal it back up
sand edges of plexi to give it smoke look.
put some light around the rim of the inch+ thick plexi
now after that I am putting a 10k BTU a/c unit in there and possible swap the coolant in the a/c theoretically i should obtain -22c at least
now it's gonna be air tight and in a very verylow humidity environment maybe even get a a/c with dehumidifier.. so no condensation
anyways all the rads and res will go symetrically along the sides if the barrel. building a small table to put my dimastech hard v2 on and then under the table will go the window a/c unit.
though if I get a phobya nova 1080 it will go down there too unless i get reall creative and make a triange out of of them and then put the res's somewhere very aesthetically pleasing
if i get a mini split iwill figure out how to route it outside the barrel and outside my house maybe

anyways at the temperature that setup will reach it could be - 35c if i get a 15kbtu. Liquid viscosity makes every bit of flow rate count.

Getting flojet pumps because d5s lack head pressure and I dont wanna spend a bunch of money on mcp35x pumps when I can get flojet monsters for the same price

plasticizer free 1/2ID 3/4OD tygon hish PSI tubing

cooling everything on a rive build with maybe a 4930k if I can find a binned one but probably a ES 3960x.. might keep my silver 3930k capable of blk 155

I was looking at 480s and I am not sure between
Phobya 2 gchanger
Black ice sr1
darkside PX480
moa3
there are the black ice extremes are they better than the sr1
coolgate

anything I missed? I am really just splitting hairs at this point
or maybe 360 versions I have unlimited radiator space so which ever performs best(high flow low delta, for super high pressure fans(like delta fans with 10mmh20 or more), all the necessary requirements for a subzero loop)
Everything I have pulled up is 2 years old for comparisons and now that they have been around for a while I thought it would probably be better just to ask, I was gonna get the feser admiral but it looks like that sucks so not getting that

Also I am having trouble deciding on which cpu block to go on my 3930k 5noz(can't find sniper(if anyone can point me towards one I'd worship them), koolance 380I , ek supremacy full cu or Ni maybe elite or acetal top if price becomes an issue over 20-30$, swiftec 4port looks kinda cool with the white top, maybe a raystorm copper

m

Last edited:
I was thinking about that but it's kinda low flow I'd probably go for the ut60 if i went with alphacool

I allso have been looking at the phobya nova phobya 420 and magicool 420
I'd go nova over the nexxos seeing as 150 for nexxos if it would ever be instock somewher and 100 for nova and 110 for 480phobya and 110 for coolgate 420.

I need high flow over delta as the liquid viscosity at my planned temps will start affecting temps moreso than the delta. higher flow will do -2-3 more c

I am referencing http://www.hardwaremax.net/wasserku...-monsta-radiatoren-360-und-480mm.html?start=3

What do you mean by low flow?

The Black Ice GTX are better at high speed than the SR-1, but the SR-1 is better at low speed.

the flow rate isn't as high on the alphacool as it is on the coolgate, phobya. hstf4 etc

ok thanks for clearing up theblack ice rad stuff I haven't seen many comparisons with that particular radiator

To be perfectly honest, there isn't much difference between those. Without knowing whether you are going for high flow fans or silent fans it is hard to decide. The flow rates are all actually pretty close. Keep in mind that test was conducted with non-scientific equipment (Aqua-computer digimesa sensor and phobya thermocouples) and has a higher margin of error than testing done by Martin or Skinnee using King Instrument flow meters, insulated cooling lines, Dalls Digital thermocouples etc....

Anyways, in Martin's testing here: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/04/14/360-radiator-shootout-summary/

He has the Alphacool UT60 the best of the bunch. The restriction and flow rate is pretty much equal with Phobya and XSPC. The difference is the Alphacool has copper channels and the others have brass, so the Alphacool gets better heat transfer and therefore better cooling with the same or slightly worse flow rates. The Coolgate does not perform as favorably under Martin's testing.

Bottom line, any of these options will perform very similar in real use cases. You can squabble over fractions of a degree or 5l/hr flowrate all you want, it isn't going to make a difference in your cooling. Not nearly as much as the size of the radiator.

With high speed delta fans, you should look at high FPI radiators like the Black Ice Extreme series. They also tend to be higher restriction in flow rates, but that is easily remedied by an extra pump.

Well, duh, of course they do because of their massive size. There is nothing as important to cooling performance as size.

However, those 1080 radiators are low FPI radiators and will not make efficient use of your high speed Delta fans. Only high FPI radiators like the Black Ice GTX radiators will. If you have 3 360 Black Ice GTX radiators, they will outperform the 1080 radiators with high speed fans.

nice thanks.. I will get 2 of those probably ( I already have a beast 360TFC Xchanger)
or the alphacool ut60 480? or what size is good, are 140 deltas available?

the black ice GTX radiators are pretty good, solidly built, but as people have already said, they're extremely high FPI which need high speed fans to get the most use from them

delta fans would be best on a high FPI rad of course

i wanna see pics of this monster when you're done

Back