Which RAID controller under $500?

ben805

Limp Gawd
Looking for a good SATA III RAID controller under $500, need to be compatible with an older Asus P6T Deluxe mobo on Windows 7 64bit OS. Will use it to host a single Samsung 830 256GB SSD, and 3x SATA III 7200K HDD on the controller in RAID 0.

I would use the motherboard ports for that. Remember that hard drives do not need SATA III at all. The fastest hard drives today have just broken the SATA I barrier and are very far from breaking the 300 MB/s that SATA II provides. Your P6T Deluxe already has good SATA II ports.

MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i + fastpath key

Don't know about compatibility, but I've had good luck with the X58 chipset and LSI 2008.

edit : but yeah, it's not worth it IMHO

I would use the motherboard ports for that. Remember that hard drives do not need SATA III at all. The fastest hard drives today have just broken the SATA I barrier and are very far from breaking the 300 MB/s that SATA II provides. Your P6T Deluxe already has good SATA II ports.

My onboard ports are being use for 1 bluray drive, 1 dvd writer, and 4x 2TB single drives for data storage.

You may want to spend the extra $50 and get the 8 port version. Also you may want to check out ebay for a used IBM M1015. These are a similar card and routinely sell for less than $100 used (pulled from a new server).

Cool, does the M1015 support SATA III? when I check the specification it is not being mention anywhere.

Yes. Don't put an SSD on it as it hasn't got fastpath and thus will be slower than the internal ports. Also, RAID needs a key to work. Move your data drives on it, for example.

Looking for a good SATA III RAID controller under $500, need to be compatible with an older Asus P6T Deluxe mobo on Windows 7 64bit OS. Will use it to host a single Samsung 830 256GB SSD, and 3x SATA III 7200K HDD on the controller in RAID 0.

make sure you come back and report when you have problems with that raid 0 array. I give it 300 days

make sure you come back and report when you have problems with that raid 0 array. I give it 300 days

300 days? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: LMAO the same drives have been running on RAID 0 array for almost 3 years (over 1000 days already dude!) with the onboard controller in my Opteron 165 system, they are actually SATA II not III. I'm using them as a temp drive for HD video and photo editing, they are not for storage, when they failed I'll just throw the bad drive away and replace it with another one.

The only "problem" in RAID 0 is some people use it as storage and when the drive failed they lost all data! I love how people like you make all kind of assumption and act like you know everything trying to school people without knowing what or how they use the setup for... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes. Don't put an SSD on it as it hasn't got fastpath and thus will be slower than the internal ports. Also, RAID needs a key to work. Move your data drives on it, for example.

I'll look into the Lsi 9260 4i or 8i with fastpath then....I'd need to research for hardware compatibility first though.

Back