Which ROM to use?

GhengisKhan

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an old HTC One S. The carrier it is from has been out of business for a few years now so I can't even get it unlocked even if I wanted to use it as a phone. I'm going to be using it strictly for the cameras.
Since the carrier is gone, I can't get updates on the phone, and it's on an older version of Android. I'm not afraid to brick it, so I'd like to load a custom ROM on it. The problem is that I don't really have a clue what a good one would be for this phone, or where to get them, or instructions on how to install them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

XDA's HTC One S subforum would be a good place to start. Everything root related to that phone should be posted there. Just don't expect much support if you need to ask any questions there since that phone is ancient at this point.

Uh... Yeah. I'd say Resurrection Remix is always a safe bet, but I couldn't tell you how well it would run on that ancient thing.

Also, you can buy a carrier unlock on ebay. Would probably be $5 for this thing. Won't have much support for other carriers though.

I'm not going to unlock it. I'm not going to use it as a phone anyway.

I'm trying to figure out how to install Resurrection Remix, but the instructions suck for a beginner...

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

- Download the latest build
- Download Gapps
- Reboot to TWRP Recovery
- Take a nandroid backup
- Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache, System
- Flash ROM
- Flash Gapps
- Reboot

I downloaded the stuff it links to. But can't figure out how to "reboot to TWRP"... I downloaded the .img file they linked to for TWRP, but have no idea wtf to do with it... Do I burn a CD?
Also, WTF is a nandroid backup?

I need to find step by step instructions... Everyone at XDA seems to assume that everyone has done this dozens of times. Nobody explains how to do most of this shit.

It's because XDA is a DEVELOPER site. I'm sorry, but this is just cold hard facts. It CAN be a little "new guy friendly" in certain sections, but most, especially the older phones, assume you know what you're doing already and don't walk you through it.

I suggest googling up and learning about it, because it's very easy to turn that phone into an (ancient) paperweight.

It's because XDA is a DEVELOPER site. I'm sorry, but this is just cold hard facts. It CAN be a little "new guy friendly" in certain sections, but most, especially the older phones, assume you know what you're doing already and don't walk you through it.

I suggest googling up and learning about it, because it's very easy to turn that phone into an (ancient) paperweight.

Bricking a device is not that hard at all. Bricked my old Droid Turbo, which I still have. Great desk weight and story to tell for sure. Tried for weeks!

Back