Which sampling rate?

zero940

Limp Gawd
I've heard anything above 44kz means practically nothing for most human ears, and I've heard otherwise. I know foobar downsamples everything to 44kz, and I'm wondering if it's worth it for games and such to put my stuff at the highest(192kz, 24 bit)?

I've heard anything above 44kz means practically nothing for most human ears, and I've heard otherwise.

I'm not really sure.

I know foobar downsamples everything to 44kz,

False. Foobar only resamples if you tell the resampling plugin to do so.

I'm wondering if it's worth it for games and such to put my stuff at the highest(192kz, 24 bit)?

Probably not.

Loudspeaker manufacturers have always sought to push the resonant frequency of speakers as high as they can, some to 30KHz, some to 40 and beyond...

At 44.1KHz sampling rate, you hit a brick wall filter at 22.05KHz. I don't know about you, but a ringing at maximum amplitude in the 20-22KHz region is probably bothersome. Whether you can consciously discern it, I don't know, but the vestibular cells inside your ears will definitely feel the resonance.

When people say you can't "hear" beyond 20KHz (typically), it means you can't hear it at typical levels. Keep turning up the volume dial on a 20KHz+ test tone and you will eventually hear it. Your ears are not a brick wall filter that just quits at a certain frequency; rather it's a downward curve.

Back