Which screw for the mobo attachment?

Prozac1964

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone, I'm right in the middle of a build and I've noticed that Antec has sent me a buttload of screws. I have:

Thumb screws/case screws: can I use these to attach the mobo to the standoffs? They fit perfectly and have a gap at the bottom so as not to cause a short.

Hex Screws: appears to fit the stand off as well

and finally some Round Headed screws: what the heck are they for. Which of these screws do or can I use where?

Thanks for any help

Hey, there's a wiki article for that! (Not being sarcastic, I wouldn't have found it without your question.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case_screws

There you will see pictures of motherboard standoffs. On some cases, the standoffs are built in; in most cases, they are detachable and screw into holes in the case (allowing you to have standoffs only where your motherboard has screw holes). In either case, simply try screwing the different screws into the motherboard standoffs until you find the right ones.

Antec may simply have used the same screw pitch for multiple items, thereby giving you options on what you want to use. I imagine people that test motherboards would appreciate the thumbscrews.

Hey, there's a wiki article for that! (Not being sarcastic, I wouldn't have found it without your question.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case_screws

There you will see pictures of motherboard standoffs. On some cases, the standoffs are built in; in most cases, they are detachable and screw into holes in the case (allowing you to have standoffs only where your motherboard has screw holes). In either case, simply try screwing the different screws into the motherboard standoffs until you find the right ones.

Antec may simply have used the same screw pitch for multiple items, thereby giving you options on what you want to use. I imagine people that test motherboards would appreciate the thumbscrews.

Thanks for your help. I'm actually doing ok on stand offs, it's the screw you use to screw into the stand off that I'm curious about. I'll check out the link though. Sorry I wasn't more clear. :) And yeh, I've probably got 30 of each screw, including the thumb screw. :D

Really doesn't matter what screws you use, so long as you have enough, and the thread matches the standoffs.

Motherboard screws and standoffs, like most in and around a case, are usually #6-32. Thread length is typically 1/4". The main exception are those for optical drives, which use M3 (because screw consistency, that's why).

I usually try to use hex head screws with a 1/4" or 5/32" socket and driver. It makes it less likely for my clumsy ass to break anything

I have never thought about using thumb screws, but I imagine they could be difficult to reach with your fingers on some case or motherboard designs, particularly the areas next to the expansion slots or power supply.

Thumb screws are usually reserved for screwing the case sides onto the back (so you can remove them again, quickly, should you need to access the inside of the case).

Generally speaking, I do like xDezor said. Use whatever phillips head screw will fit the standoffs.

Back