Which soundcard has multichannel digital out?

ben805

Limp Gawd
I have a creative x-fi soundcard for gaming, unfortunately the digital(SPDIF) out can only carry 2 channel signal, from what I understand all creative soundcards can not carry 5.1 or 7.1 signal over the optical or coax cable for gaming, watching DVD in 5.1 or 7.1 is fine though. So, is there any other soundcards out there that would allow me to use the digital output with multichannels for gaming? I’m using the Marantz 7.1 A/V receiver.

Can't do multi-channel digital output whilst gaming? That's rather...odd to say the least.

Problem with going with another card (like a Envy24 based card) is that whilst you may get multichannel output over a digital connection, you'll lose EAX/2/3/4/whatever-the-hell-they're-on-now capability.

The only cards capable of multichannel digital out in games are the DD/DTS encoding cards and onboard sound solutions. Everything else is limited to 2ch digital out in games.

Honestly, for serious PC gaming use the X-fi and the analog connections. But if you must have multichannel digital out while gaming, get a Auzentech card. Be warned you do lose the latest EAX stuff.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/feature.php
X-Meridian, X-Plosion, and X-Mystique all offer some form of multichannel digital out.

Back