Which Speakers for my X-Fi?

KingPing

[H]ard|Gawd
I've narrowed it down to these......any input would be greatly appreciated:)

Logitech Z-5500

Creative Labs Gigaworks ProGamer G500

I'm getting the z-5500's (from dell for $234 shipped, check ebay dell coupons 10% stackable)... 505watt for $234 plus dolby digital... you can't really go wrong with that, man...

plus, the sub is supposed to hit extremely hard from what i hear... great sound quality and all... i'll let you know what my impressions are after i get mine (should be today if i'm lucky)

I can attest to the sub hitting extremely hard.

We thought they were loud at my friends house with the volume set to 30, which we thought was the max. The light fittings in the room downstairs were rattling like crazy. Then we realised that they go up to 40 :D :cool: Stuff rattles all over the place and falls of shelves... :)

I just installed the z5500's last weekend. Great speakers!!! Easy to setup. All the speakers use standard speaker wire with push terminal connectors which makes it easy for all room sizes. Games, movies and music sound awesome!

yea I'm pretty excited!!.........hope the egg ships them from the Jersey warehouse....I'm one day from there!!!!

just remeber DONT USE the digital in for them you wont get 5.1 in games
so realy any sspeakers with digital decoding are useless for creative cards

Elios said:
just remeber DONT USE the digital in for them you wont get 5.1 in games
so realy any sspeakers with digital decoding are useless for creative cards

I second that.

My xtreme music's drivers dont even detect my front and back speakers....
I have it set to 2.1 now. Really a bummer, I got a 1000 w sony setup...

buffbiff21 said:
I second that.

My xtreme music's drivers dont even detect my front and back speakers....
I have it set to 2.1 now. Really a bummer, I got a 1000 w sony setup...

its not the dirvers but that Creative cant out up 5.1 over the digital out realy the DACs in the x-fi are better then in the logictec speakers any way

ky22 said:
Just run 5.1 analog in to the Sony receiver.

I got a Y cable running right to the receiver... Can you recommend me where to get a 5.1 analog? they seem expensive. (ala optical cables and coax and stuff...)

Elios said:
its not the dirvers but that Creative cant out up 5.1 over the digital out realy the DACs in the x-fi are better then in the logictec speakers any way

I know but the Creative Volume Panel / DTS setup thingey that comes with the software does not even put sound into them when i click "5.1" instead of 2.1.

2.1 works fine, but only stereo, the front and back channels are not separated. Iwas just saying that the software did not even output sound into the speaker. (so I guess it is a hard ware problem after all lol)

buffbiff21 said:
I got a Y cable running right to the receiver... Can you recommend me where to get a 5.1 analog? they seem expensive. (ala optical cables and coax and stuff...)

I know but the Creative Volume Panel / DTS setup thingey that comes with the software does not even put sound into them when i click "5.1" instead of 2.1.

2.1 works fine, but only stereo, the front and back channels are not separated. Iwas just saying that the software did not even output sound into the speaker. (so I guess it is a hard ware problem after all lol)

radio shack has 1/8" to RCA cables for 10-20 bucks

i have a p5w dh deluxe... which, afaik, the onboard audio has dolby digital Live... so i get 5.1 no matter what (and i love it)

Heh,
I'd reccomend Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultras anyday over the high-end logitech series.

My brother has a set of the most expensive logitech PC speaker system, I have the ultras.

They sound WORLDS better. Hit much more clear, The bass, and the crossover is better.

Try upgrading yoru sattalites on the logitech system to something more referenece, The klipsch subwoofer actually powers high end reference speakers decently enough.

I bought some RSX-5 sats and a RSX-4 center channel (300$ Per speaker sorta price)

Anything by Bose DO NOT GET.

I would go for the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1. That's probably the best bet for computer speakers, though if you have the $$$ you should go for a professional system with reciever.

KingPing said:
I've narrowed it down to these......any input would be greatly appreciated:)

Logitech Z-5500

Creative Labs Gigaworks ProGamer G500

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...sem/rpsm/oid/148410/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I know way too many folks with dead Computer Multimedia Speakers or folks on their 3 or 4th return. I have two dead sets, Logitech 560-Z that lasted 13months and Creative Megaworks 6.1's that lasted 13.5 LOL! One bud sold his Klipsch Ultras after they were replaced a 3rd time.

if I could have found the Klipsh I prolly would have gotten them......I got my 5500's today I'll hook them up asap and post back how they sound:)

I opted for the Logitech 5.1 setup... 500watt, 10" sub, dolby digital/dts... i mean, you really can't go wrong with these. Especially for the price.. $235 shipped from Dell.com ... I can't even find the Klipsch promedia 5.1 setup anymore. here is what the Logitech has vs the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra...

Price... when buying Klipsch, you also end up paying for a name Promedia 5.1 Ultras are easily $300... Logitechs cost me $235 shipped (dell.com coupons)
Dolby Digital/DTS... I see no mention of DD/DTS on the Klipsch product description

anyway, you get the picture... I got the Logitechs and I can say, without a doubt, this is the best set of speakers for the money... PERIOD... I debate whether the Klipsch setup really has anything over this set, but that's up to the buyer...

pillagenburn said:
I opted for the Logitech 5.1 setup... 500watt, 10" sub, dolby digital/dts... i mean, you really can't go wrong with these. Especially for the price.. $235 shipped from Dell.com ... I can't even find the Klipsch promedia 5.1 setup anymore. here is what the Logitech has vs the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra...

Price... when buying Klipsch, you also end up paying for a name Promedia 5.1 Ultras are easily $300... Logitechs cost me $235 shipped (dell.com coupons)
Dolby Digital/DTS... I see no mention of DD/DTS on the Klipsch product description

anyway, you get the picture... I got the Logitechs and I can say, without a doubt, this is the best set of speakers for the money... PERIOD... I debate whether the Klipsch setup really has anything over this set, but that's up to the buyer...

DD/DTS is a function of the decoder and has no relevance when hooking them up through the analog connections from an X-Fi.

shrug, I just know that i have the ability to plug a single coax/optical cable into my Logitechs instead of a bunch of analog cables into each jack on the back of my computer.... simplicity.

oh, and i can plug in my DVD player... or whatever other device i want... can't do that with just analog on the klipsch.

still the best 5.1 setup you can buy for the money... insane deal.

got the speakers up and running....saying they are awesome is an understatement:)

KingPing said:
got the speakers up and running....saying they are awesome is an understatement:)

Now whatever you do, just don't compare them to even a modest receiver and real seakers LOL!

Donnie27 said:
Now whatever you do, just don't compare them to even a modest receiver and real seakers LOL!

well I can definately say they are no match for my Cambridge Soundworks HT....but they rock for gaming on my computer;)

Donnie27 said:

Why does everyone on the Audio forum feel the need for bashing computer audio components ?

You're just not going to find a halfway decent receiver, a woofer and 4 satellites for €250!

Head over to the video card forum and start crapping on the threads of people who've just bought 7600GTs telling them to get an 8800GTX and see if that's fair... ;)

pillagenburn said:
shrug, I just know that i have the ability to plug a single coax/optical cable into my Logitechs instead of a bunch of analog cables into each jack on the back of my computer.... simplicity.

oh, and i can plug in my DVD player... or whatever other device i want... can't do that with just analog on the klipsch.

still the best 5.1 setup you can buy for the money... insane deal.

but you cant just use one cable you wont get 5.1 just 2.0 other then from movies

Demon_of_The_Fall said:
Why does everyone on the Audio forum feel the need for bashing computer audio components ?

You're just not going to find a halfway decent receiver, a woofer and 4 satellites for €250!

Head over to the video card forum and start crapping on the threads of people who've just bought 7600GTs telling them to get an 8800GTX and see if that's fair... ;)

I'll quote you but my reply is to all 3 of you. Because after 3 returns and still ending with two sets of dead computer speakers, I gave a real HT system a chance. I'll never go back, I'd use Headphone if I couldn't use something like what I have.

There's plenty of great used stuff out there as well. Pawn Shops and Flea Markets are a great source if you want to experiment;)

Later, I'm posting a pic of my two Dead Sets of speakers. The 560z has a dead controller and I don't know what in the hell's wrong with my Creative MegaWorks 610's.

Honestly, it's not about Hi-Fi or Audiophile, or about feeling superior. Those cheap Box sets give the Best 5500, 5400, 680's, Klipsch Ultra and etc.. a run for the money. Onkyo, Sony and others sound better. Many times, they end up costing about the same as well. Add to that, they're more versatile.

Another example.

Now I'd rather have some nice Bookshelf or Floor standing for the front-Mains and smaller bookshelf's for the real. I use some old Infinity for the that and Bose 301s for the rear. Sony Center and a Custom Sub. That's on an old Pioneer VSX-D711 receiver. Nothing top dollar or hi-end. Yet I have Audiophile buddies have nothing but good things say about it. They're not about to sell their Denons, and etc.:) One of these guy even uses a Pioneer 515 for his Gaming rig after hearing mine.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back