Which SSD: Intel G2 80gb or Falcon 2 128gb

Benlehot

n00b
hi everyone !

I want to buy a new ssd for my laptop.

Here in Canada, I can get the G2 80gb for about 250$ and the G.skill falcon 2 128gb for about 340$.

Which one should I take ?

I would like to have 128gb however if the intel is way better, I will take it.

thanks a lot !

Intel G2 is the way to go based purely on performance. It's random read/write performance gives it a huge advantage in actual use.

Depends on your needs, some of Anand's latest articles actually seem to indicate that despite the X25-M's advantage in random read/write speed, the faster sequential write speed of the Indillix drives can sorta offset it under some heavy workloads... The Intel drive is still slightly better overall tho. To be perfectly honest, I doubt you'd ever really notice the difference under real world usage unless you have a particularly specific and stressful scenario in mind (that goes beyond the realm of general enthusiast multi-tasking).

one thing you have to bear in mind that indilnx controller has higher failure rate indicated by online user reviews.

I will be doing a lot of multi tasking but nothing specific. For example, I think the highest usage I have to do is having photoshop and dreamweaver open at the same time.

In your case I think the G.Skill drive is actually cheaper per GB... But at the same time the Intel drive is a smaller investment if you think you might wanna retire this drive in a year's time, sell it, or upgrade it in any way. If you can find the Intel drive for something closer to MSRP then the price per GB kinda equals out. Might also wanna keep in mind that the Intel drive's probably more reliable if you do intend to keep it a long time... If you really need the extra capacity I think you'd be happy w/the G.Skill tho.

I think i will go with the Intel drive.

Like you said, i will probably upgrade to a better/bigger ssd in 1 year, so i will go with the cheapest !

thanks a lot !

I would rethink that.

I went with 2 falcon 128s because I thought welll drive prices will surely fall within a year or so...The drives have actually appreciated in value by $40 each over the course of a year. I sold 3 OCZ core V1's (jmicron) for $100 ea now on ebay they go for 250 ea!

Also I didn't notice any performace increase on another system with a G2. Personally for something you may plan on dumping I would go for cheaper and bigger. as you're more likely to get. Some people like to get all wet over bench numbers, usually the same people who get wet over TRIM. Whatever make them feel better about their purchase is really all that matters.

Some people like to get all wet over bench numbers, usually the same people who get wet over TRIM. Whatever make them feel better about their purchase is really all that matters.

Umm, TRIM support actually does matter a whole lot tho... And even tho on one hand it might be easier to re-sell a larger drive in the future, it's also a bigger investment to recoup so it kinda cuts both ways. I agree he's unlikely to notice the difference between either drive, so he should choose with his wallet and what he's really willing to spend right now or if not based on the amount of space he'd really need (not like) to allocate to his most important apps/games.

Umm, TRIM support actually does matter a whole lot tho...

Why? What so great about TRIM? If he's the first to use and will unload it well before it's service life is anywhere near impacted? The difference isn't perceivable in real world use.

Why? What so great about TRIM? If he's the first to use and will unload it well before it's service life is anywhere near impacted? The difference isn't perceivable in real world use.

If he happens to fill it up or come near max capacity at any given point, TRIM will certainly make a very big difference in the drive's performance from that point on (even if he empties space afterward)... It's not like it takes years for performance to degrade w/o TRIM, depending on what he's doing with the drive it can happen in a handful of months.

Back