Which storage makers have reasonable RMA policies nowdays?

rei

Limp Gawd
My 2 year oldish 500GB Crucial BX100 is dying/dead seizing up and causing i/o errors 50% of the time after booting up and logging in so I looked into the RMA process. Even at 95% SMART, it's hobbled.

Seems like no one is offering advance RMA (ie you give them your credit card and they send a shipper) anymore and shipping back is on your dollar. Seagate even changed the fee from $35 to $50 in 2015. Hardly seems worth the trouble instead of buying another one. Before I do, is there anyone with decent customer service policies anymore?

You can pay vendors for 3rd party warranties. I've used a Microcenter warranty before and it was easy as walking in and getting a replacement.

I seem to remember it was an actual new drive off the shelf too.

Advance RMA from manufacturer for consumer level products is extremely rare, so it's not surprising that Crucial won't do it. Afterall, they sell a huge volume of DRAM and NAND products where failures are inevitable.
That said, I've had good experiences with Crucial, Seagate, and WD on drives failed under warranty. It may take a couple weeks for the back and forth but at least they take care of it. Motherboard manufacturers on the other hand...

Western Digital does advance RMA, as of about 6 months ago, at least :)

Back