which vid card ati or nvidia has best linux support

knothead34

[H]ard|Gawd
which brand video card has best linux support im currently using ubuntu latest version. in your opinion. im going to google as well but i know there are some linux users here and would like there input as well.

nvidia still produce better drivers (even though ATi drivers are getting better they are still shit compared to ATi binary drivers)

if you have an old card or can get one then the open-source drivers based upon ATi specs are really good BUT this is only for a small subset of low end cards (some midend cards as well but poor 3D support)

I've found that NVidia cards have the best performance using the binary drivers in Linux - ATi drivers have been fairly unstable for me, and have resulted in absolutely shocking performance with two monitors. A lot of people say that the ATi drivers have more features, but I've never got past the crash-happy poor performance part ;)

Honestly, though? The chipsets with the best support are Intel. Never fail to work for me (laptops only, of course).

Besides the GF6100 integrated chipset, virtually all nvidia GPUs i've tried worked smoothly with Ubuntu/Fedora/SUSE. The ATI provided driver has become much simplier to install, but still has a lot of bugginess and performance problems. It's really strange since the ATI OS X drivers (Apple provided) don't have those problems.

Back