Which way should i pump?

So this is my first venture into the wc'ing arena, mainly doing it to shut my pc up, its rather loud. Iv got most things sorted, just wanted a few opinions on which way i should pump the water?
Excuse my poo paint skills, did this in about 2 minutes:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Ateam/Whichway.jpg

So would it be better to go to the res first and then up, or to the rad first and then down?

Towards the radiator. You'll have major trouble filling the loop if the pump is pushing the water back in the direction of the fillpoint (the res)! Running a pump dry will kill it. You might want to move the res a bit higher too, just enough to create a small slope in the direction of the pump and also to help with bleeding out the air - of course, you can also accomplish this by temporarily propping the back of the case up.

I second that, toward the rad.
The water that arrives at the pump will be a few degrees hotter this way, but if it can´t cope with that, it shouldn´t be used in a watercooling setup anyway.
And I agree on the position of the reservoir, move it higher. The highest point in the loop would be the optimal position, however every centimeter gained in height helps when filling your system.

Thanks for the advice guys, moving the res higher should be easy enough, it just slides up and down on its mounts.
Another question :D, would you have the fans on the bottom of the rad blowing up or on the top blowing down?

the way ive always done it is this:
resevoir>pump>CPU>(other water blocks)>radiator>resevoir

right out of the pump is going to be the most pressure in the whole system, you want that going right thru your cpu block. have the pump pulling from the resevoir. put the radiator, which is usualy the most flow restriction in the loop, before the res. theres very little difference in temp between the intake and output of the radiator, but the 'out' side is going to be the coolest water in the loop, which gets pumped directly onto the cpu.

edit
would you have the fans on the bottom of the rad blowing up or on the top blowing down?
doesnt realy matter either way will work fine, but hot air flows up so in theory that would be the best way- blowing up. fans on top or bottom doesnt matter

Its 2v1 now :p , any reason why you would pump towards the res?
The fact that no explanation for the choice was given....tbh I think they're winding you up!

Thanks for the advice guys, moving the res higher should be easy enough, it just slides up and down on its mounts.
Another question :D, would you have the fans on the bottom of the rad blowing up or on the top blowing down?

I've never mounted a rad horizontally, but I would guess that top-down would be better due to the amount of clearance between the case and the rad - fans have a distinct hum when the intake is too close to a solid surface. Although this route does go against thermal dynamics :D
Of course, if you have already cut holes in the top of your case then bottom-up would be better. Using warm air from inside the case isn't the greatest idea though.

first thing off the pump is your CPU which should draw from the Rad. the rest after the cpu and before the rad is your chioce. i go pump cpu chipset vid card rad back to pump.

I thought the best setup would be RAD - CPU - NB - GPU - Pump - RES

I figure this would be the best because the water would be cooled more coming directly from the RAD

I thought the best setup would be RAD - CPU - NB - GPU - Pump - RES

I figure this would be the best because the water would be cooled more coming directly from the RAD

Most pumps dump very little heat into the loop, and I actually have good results going straight from the pump to the CPU as it shortened the amount of tubing significantly, allowing me to dial the pump down for less noise/heat as it has less work to do. But yeah, normally it's optimal to go PUMP->RAD->BLOCK if that 1 or 2 degrees (if that) is vitally important. However, the reservoir or T-line should always be in a position to feed the pump, not directly after it.

Hmmm, I would probably go res>pump>rad>block>block>block>res. That would be your shortest routing I think.

Hmmm, I would probably go res>pump>rad>block>block>block>res. That would be your shortest routing I think.

That was the first plan and i may still go with that depending on how much of a mission it is to route the tubing, will have to play with it later.

There's one on every forum ;) .
And there's 5 posts of the same questions on every front page. This question was just asked yesterday. It would be a lot easy to get information on these forums if they weren't cluttered with people expecting to get spoon fed.

And there's 5 posts of the same questions on every front page. This question was just asked yesterday. It would be a lot easy to get information on these forums if they weren't cluttered with people expecting to get spoon fed.

LOL. Be nice. I get a little frutrated seeing the same questions posted all the time too. Just keep in mind that we're here to help each other out.

Cry more mate, or get off the internet from time to time.

You need res/t-line before pump to keep it full of water, and cpu block right after the pump, because cpu block benefits the most from high pressure. The rest doesn't really matter. Rad is preferably before the res/t-line

Like stated before, pumps need a constant feed of liquid, and they also have a small amount of suction. Pumping into a reservoir is senseless since they do not need pressure nor flow. My loops go pump->block->rad->reservoir. I no longer run long loops, just individual loops to each part. (makes for a lot of rads and pumps)

Back