Which would you choose?

What are you powering? If you don't need 950W, get the X-750....great deal there

i7 930
HD 5870
12GB G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
:/

first build i don't wanna underpower or not leave enough headroom so to speak.

yo dawg, i heard you like to overkill so you better get a psu for that psu. just kidding, you only need 384W max, so seasonic x750 would be fine..

800px-Sup_dawg.jpg

i used antecs psu calc (http://www.antec.outervision.com/)

and it said i needed 1000

wtf

edit: i said i had a high end desktop... probably impacted it.

The Seasonic X series are one of the best series out now, maybe even the best in that wattage range. Grab the SeaSonic X750 for sure!

29yl2d.png

probably more accurate. My one question is would I be able to add another vid card with the 750w PSU. I don't want to have to buy anything for a while thanks for all the replies I'll learn.

ninja edit: according to the calc. it doesn't think so. Thats the only thing I could see myself upgrading beore building a whole new rig...

doubleninjaedit:

opinions on these psus. I need to go to bed i can hardly see straight thanks for all the help

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814018
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256058
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009&Tpk=N82E16817139009

Last edited:
29yl2d.png

probably more accurate. My one question is would I be able to add another vid card with the 750w PSU. I don't want to have to buy anything for a while thanks for all the replies I'll learn.

ninja edit: according to the calc. it doesn't think so. Thats the only thing I could see myself upgrading beore building a whole new rig...

doubleninjaedit:

opinions on this psu. I need to go to bed i can hardly see straight thanks for all the help

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814018

Yes a good brand 750 will handle two 5870's. I've got nothing against the ABS PSU, but the Seasonic X are so good.

One thing when using that calc make sure to manually input the correct stock vcore for the cpu as it's often incorrect.

For good measure I would set it at 1.2 stock and 1.4oc.

Last edited:
Last edited:
bumped up to 886 crossfire and 715 single. :rolleyes:

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W has a 10% off coupon... can't beat this price.

or if i am going to go big ill do this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256057

No idea how you are getting such high numbers, a single i7 930 and crossfire 5870's won't use anywhere near that much power. I'd have to say go with the seasonic as well, I wouldnt trust that ABS power supply because i'm relatively sure those particular units are made by ATNG, and with any decent load on those units ripple starts to get pretty bad.

No idea how you are getting such high numbers, a single i7 930 and crossfire 5870's won't use anywhere near that much power. I'd have to say go with the seasonic as well, I wouldnt trust that ABS power supply because i'm relatively sure those particular units are made by ATNG, and with any decent load on those units ripple starts to get pretty bad.

Here is the result with crossfire

7BMov.png

I would go with the X-750 with a system like that if you're willing to spend the extra cash. It's a better PSU, and you don't need any more power than it can provide. Even a pair of 5870s in Crossfire would be fine for it.

I would go with the X-750 with a system like that if you're willing to spend the extra cash. It's a better PSU, and you don't need any more power than it can provide. Even a pair of 5870s in Crossfire would be fine for it.

If the consensus is that I won't need more power then the 750 would provide I agree it would be wroth it.

I don't know if I stressed this but it is my first build and I just want to make sure that I have enough headroom to upgrade that vid card without having to upgrade the psu. I don't see myself needing anything else without having to just build a new rig. Thanks again for all of the replies... I don't know why my numbers are so elevated on the antec calculator.

The Seasonic 750w will handle a pair of 5870s and an i7 just fine. It's also a substantially better power supply than the Corsair. Why are you selecting "high rpm sata" drives and 7200rpm SCSI drives in the calculator? Unless you're doing something really weird, you should just select the 7200rpm IDE drives. Why? Because if the calculator is accurate they'll use more power than either the newer 7.2k SATA drives OR a Velociraptor anyhow (hell, the Velociraptors use less power than your average desktop drive).

Also, Antec may have had Extreme.outervision "pad" the numbers a bit if you will (or the lite version may just be less accurate than the pro version). The Non-Antec-branded, pro version of the calculator, when it's set up properly, returns an estimate of about 520w for a single card, which is about what I would expect. These calculators aren't to-the-watt accurate, but somewhere in that ballpark is reasonable.

Like Zero82 said, the x750 will handle your needs, even with a video card upgrade. Go with the Seasonic

The Seasonic 750w will handle a pair of 5870s and an i7 just fine. It's also a substantially better power supply than the Corsair. Why are you selecting "high rpm sata" drives and 7200rpm SCSI drives in the calculator? Unless you're doing something really weird, you should just select the 7200rpm IDE drives. Why? Because if the calculator is accurate they'll use more power than either the newer 7.2k SATA drives OR a Velociraptor anyhow (hell, the Velociraptors use less power than your average desktop drive).

Also, Antec may have had Extreme.outervision "pad" the numbers a bit if you will (or the lite version may just be less accurate than the pro version). The Non-Antec-branded, pro version of the calculator, when it's set up properly, returns an estimate of about 520w for a single card, which is about what I would expect. These calculators aren't to-the-watt accurate, but somewhere in that ballpark is reasonable.

Like Zero82 said, the x750 will handle your needs, even with a video card upgrade. Go with the Seasonic

Thank you for clearing this up for me it was due to the HD selctions. According to the estimate there with crossfire I would need 841w but with the quality of the x750 sounds like it won't be a problem if i decide to upgrade in the future. thanks so much for everyones response i really apprecaite it.

I would go with the Seasonic x750.

I have a Corsair HX850 (in for RMA right now due to a rattling fan).

According to my kill-a-watt (which isn't the MOST accurate) my crossfire 5850s and 4ghz i7 920 on full load (running Furmark & OCCT Linpack test with full mem utilization) was drawing about 600w from the wall (so the components were really using only about 540w). The system also has three 180mm fans, three 120mm fans, two WD black drives, and an SSD. According to [H]'s test the 5870 uses about 25W more than the 5850, so even after that you've got about 150W headroom.

Don't even use the Antec power calculator. It grossly overestimates the amount of power you need (by a good 150-200 watts or more). Use the eXtreme power supply calculator. I tried doing that with your settings, I came out to about 600 watts. Anything besides the eXtreme Power Supply calculator grossly overestimates power needs (including the Newegg power supply calculator).

Don't even use the Antec power calculator. It grossly overestimates the amount of power you need (by a good 150-200 watts or more). Use the eXtreme power supply calculator. I tried doing that with your settings, I came out to about 600 watts. Anything besides the eXtreme Power Supply calculator grossly overestimates power needs (including the Newegg power supply calculator).

And even then, power calculators should be taken with a grain of salt, my recommendations is always to see what sort of power draw is measured total system when a video card is reviewed, as that will provide real world vs. theoretical numbers.

Don't even use the Antec power calculator. It grossly overestimates the amount of power you need (by a good 150-200 watts or more). Use the eXtreme power supply calculator.
The Antec power calculator is a branded version of the eXtreme power calculator.

The Antec power calculator is a branded version of the eXtreme power calculator.

And it looks like they didn't change anything; if you plug an i7 930/1.2v stock @ 3.8/1.4v, 6 sticks of DDR3, a HD5870, 2 7.2K IDE drives, 3 120mm fans and a blue ray reader into the Antec power supply calculator, you get 549w recommended. Plug the same data into the eXtreme Lite calculator and you get 549w. Plug it into the pro version and you get 549w again with a recommendation of 38.8a @ 12v.

I wouldn't trust the eXtreme calculator to be accurate to more than +/-25w, but it's close enough to give you an idea of what you need.

Back