white label drives from ebay. Hmm? Feedback Please

these drives are new drives made for an oem and these are the overruns. w.d. cannot sell them to the public so we buy them and are under agreement to remove the labels from the drives. we put a small white label on the drive and warranty them for 1-year.
i was looking at this auction from this guy at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260017929681&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016
here's the thing the price is really nice.
but i have a few questions

1.are these drives reliable?
2.do i have a way to check if they are western digitals...
3.what is the life of these drives?
4.is there a way i can check if it's refurbished?
5.would you buy the drive from this guy?

i'm looking into 4 of them

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
chinked|out said:
i was looking at this auction from this guy at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260017929681&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016
here's the thing the price is really nice.
but i have a few questions

1.are these drives reliable?
2.do i have a way to check if they are western digitals...
3.what is the life of these drives?
4.is there a way i can check if it's refurbished?
5.would you buy the drive from this guy?

i'm looking into 4 of them

1. Who knows?

2. Without a label on there, you are just going to have to get some pictures of the drive he is selling, and the drive it is supposed to be, and compare.

3. Who knows?

4. You probably aren't going to be able to tell without a label.

5. Nope. For 76.90 at zipzoomfly.com you can get almost the exact same thing (if not better) brand new with a 3 year warranty.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
TMan1876 said:
1. Who knows?

2. Without a label on there, you are just going to have to get some pictures of the drive he is selling, and the drive it is supposed to be, and compare.

3. Who knows?

4. You probably aren't going to be able to tell without a label.

5. Nope. For 76.90 at zipzoomfly.com you can get almost the exact same thing (if not better) brand new with a 3 year warranty.
zzf then charge tax and shipping. how nice. that makes it over 32cents a gig

It's a toss up really.

I would probably use one for holding dvd rips until i burn them.
But for anything i actually care about, no fucking way.

It's funny you should use the word "FEEDBACK" in your topic name...

...because EBAY has this thing called FEEDBACK that helps a person determine if the reseller is a dipshit or someone worth trusting.

According to the link you provide....this guy has 110 transactions with a 100% positive rating.

Some of the comments left (within the last month) include:

thanks for the 3 h.d. have used 2 of them.. A+++

WOW Great Price On Great Drive!Will Do More Business with This Seller!A+EBayer!!

Drive as described, shipped quick, no problems,

Excellent price for an excellent hard drive!!!!!!!

etc...

I would say that this guy is PROBABLY OK and the drive is PROBABLY what he says.

110 positive feedback entries or no, I can't imagine buying from someone who can't even write a full sentence in their product description.

ZZF has the drive for about $87. From this guy, it's $66. For me, a warranty and peace-of-mind from getting support, no hassles, and so on, is worth $21.

Is it worth $21 to you, for your planned application of the drive?

chinked|out said:

i dont know where you live, but unless you live in CA ZZF wont charge tax, and if you notice ZZF has FREE shipping

when it comes to HDD i prefer to know i am getting a new one from a retailer that knows how to ship them

chinked|out said:

ZZF ships almost everything second day for free...

Good luck getting that kind of service on ebay.

And I don't really appreciate you responding like that when I try to help you.

darn i just got a asus crosshair board. seems like i will only have enough space for 1 IDE cable for cdrom drives. this means that i will have to go for SATA hard drives. unless i get a IDE for pci for it.

so overall, most people think that the white label drives are bad.

I can see it now... it says 1yr warrantee.. I can see trying to get a warrantee from WD w/ no label.. heh.. personally I probably would pay the diff for a new boxed drive.

FrizzleFried said:
It's funny you should use the word "FEEDBACK" in your topic name...

...because EBAY has this thing called FEEDBACK that helps a person determine if the reseller is a dipshit or someone worth trusting.

According to the link you provide....this guy has 110 transactions with a 100% positive rating.

But if you read the time the comments were made and the users (they repeat over at times), it looks kinda sketchy....

6.) I would definitely NOT buy from this guy.

TMan1876 said:
ZZF ships almost everything second day for free...

Good luck getting that kind of service on ebay.

And I don't really appreciate you responding like that when I try to help you.
I think they changed their free 2 day shipping to 5-6 day ground. I ordered a keyboard like a week ago, and it got free 2 day. But I ordered a bunch of other stuff a few days ago and noticed that the free shipping was ground. But the 2 day shipping was only like $3 so I just went with that.

ChingChang said:
I think they changed their free 2 day shipping to 5-6 day ground. I ordered a keyboard like a week ago, and it got free 2 day. But I ordered a bunch of other stuff a few days ago and noticed that the free shipping was ground. But the 2 day shipping was only like $3 so I just went with that.

Dang,... i didn't notice that.

Its good that they don't charge much to upgrade the shipping.

The picture shows the drive outside of the ESD bag on a table that we can assume is not ESD safe. Who knows if it will even ship in a static bag. Maybe he'll wrap it in saran wrap and toss it into a bunch of styrofoam peanuts.

If he doesn't know enough to take the proper precautions with ESD then how do you know he'll bother with the proper handing precautions regarding mechanical shock during handling?

Futhermore, he obviously has a bunch of HDD's to sell, where did they come from? They could have been a damaged or defective pallet he picked up at auction for very cheap, in which case of course he'd be happy to keep sending you the same defective replacement drives for as long as he continues to care about his feedback rating.

In summary, i wholeheartedly recommend that you buy as many of these drives as you possibly can, as soon as possible before its too late and they're all gone.

"we put a small white label on the drive and warranty them for 1-year."

WHO's warranty? Theirs, or the manufacturers?

Some OEM's will not warranty stuff like this, and if they do only for 90 days. They make you go to the seller for full warranty coverage.

For the few dollars saved, doesn't sound worth the risk to me.

-Larry

Back